• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Due to popular request, the orientation for the practical rifle match at upper Nisqually has been changed to 6am on Saturday 16 june, just prior to the match (not 6:15 am). I am very prompt too...

Remember that the match is limited to 10 shooters as the board wants to see how it is run before they open it up to all comers. So if you want to shoot, make sure and let me know so I can tell you if space is still avaialble.

Check your ammo with a magnet as no bullets with ferrous content will be allowed because it buggers up the targets. Check your ammo with a magnet because that is what we will do prior to the match. Every round will be checked, and if it passes, you get it back to shoot in the match.

If it doesn't pass muster, don't expect to get it back, after all, you were going to use it to damage our equipment even though you received prior warning...

Unknown-
Thanks for the offer, i might be able to this week. it's kind of tough, i have wedding planning stuff going on, but, i would much rather go shooting... if only the lady was in agreement.

I'd love to go shoot this weekend but got to work so have lotsa fun guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're probably looking at Acme again. I'm still working on finding us a more local area.</div></div>

I'm down for Acme. My dad will probably come too.

Just checkin in again. Sheez..I dont get on this forum too often, I see some of you guys are setting up matches in the upper Nisqually? Good stuff. I work graveyards in Shelton so my schedule is all crazy with family&stuff.

Ill to see if I can make it up that way from time. The range is about hour away from my place. 600 yards sounds like a good start.

I have "heard" theres a place down near Tenino that is good for 500-600 yards. Piece of land owned by this guy who will let you shoot if your decent folks, so Ill check on that.

Some of us need to go scouting for some areas around here..Im down to go anywhere from Elma to centralia to spanaway. A perfect place would nice quiet out of the way place where stand up guys can get together and just shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unknown,
Thanks! I will be out there this summer and will come on out and sign up. </div></div>

You'll be here this summer or next summer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zx2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just checkin in again. Sheez..I dont get on this forum too often, I see some of you guys are setting up matches in the upper Nisqually? Good stuff. I work graveyards in Shelton so my schedule is all crazy with family&stuff.

Ill to see if I can make it up that way from time. The range is about hour away from my place. 600 yards sounds like a good start.

I have "heard" theres a place down near Tenino that is good for 500-600 yards. Piece of land owned by this guy who will let you shoot if your decent folks, so Ill check on that.

Some of us need to go scouting for some areas around here..Im down to go anywhere from Elma to centralia to spanaway. A perfect place would nice quiet out of the way place where stand up guys can get together and just shoot.

</div></div>

I need to work on getting back out scouting. Money has been tight for me lately so driving all over hasn't been in the budget, but I have a couple checks coming in that will help me fund it.

Now that I have some steel (8 pieces of various sizes) I'll be happy to share it with folks as long as they make sure to not shoot any bullets on it that have any ferrous content. The steel jackets really bugger up the plates...even if it isn't AP.

Hey Bigwheels,
Nice job!
That's a good feeling to not have payments anymore. I'm looking forward to getting out on Sat for some elr shooting. I will bring my clays.

We're going to be meeting up there probably around 9am at the Sedro Wooley AmPm gas station again on Sunday the 20th. So far I have myself and...

Definites...
Broker
Market Garden
AD1
beretta682
Bigwheels
joe/175th

Maybes...
Ryo?
HeathenRifleman?
Seattle-Irs?
OT-Medic?
zx2man?
Muttt?
akmike?
k9-?
mjh?
SSSamurai?
TeamSendIt?
MK12 MOD0 SPR?
Wintermute?
Boxerglocker?
StanwoodSpartan?

Unavailable...
Unknown
Dafar
Captmo
attherange
AtOne

Anyone else definite or maybe? I'm going to borrow some steel from Unknown and I'll be bringing my roof top/ barricade out as well so we can do some different positions. For the newcomers now is a great chance to get out and me some more local guys even though it's not as local as I hoped yet. If there's anybody I didn't mention please chime in and feel free to join us.

Nick

This weekend is the Kettle Falls match. I'm going over to try and redeam myself after the FSC,lol. I know several of the other guys are going to be there this weekend.

Ah that's right... I forgot. Well, hopefully there's a few out there who aren't going and want to attend our suaré...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be there providing I don't have to work. </div></div>

I just gave you the day off... lol...

I was at the Poulsbo Sportsman Club trying to zero my rifle when AtOne showed up. In discussing props he mentioned a "hanging platform" that is apparently not easiest to shoot from. Is that something that if I built it you all would be interested in shooting from?

Like below but well... more portable...
P1000209.JPG

If it is what I have shot from, they are fun, challenging, a pain in the butt, and all round an interesting prop. The ones I have used are some sort of platform that is either hung on ropes or chains so it will swing and sway if you move around much, or they are set onto springs that do the same thing. The idea for the ones I have shot from was that if you started it moving, you had to wait until it settled down so your time sucked, or your accuracy sucked because you are moving around while trying to shoot.

The other interesting platform I shot from was on a 3 story tall scaffold. They had platforms on the ground, level 1, level 2, and level 3. You were supposed to shoot from the top platform, but if you wanted to only go to a lower one, you lost points. The very top platform was about 18-24 inches wide, and 40-60 inches long.

The top platform was just enough too small to get a comfortable prone position on, and as you went lower, the platforms got a bit bigger, but none of the platforms were really comfortable or generous.

Good seeing you out there Broker, Nice surprise. BTW the I gave you your 5 star rating
wink.gif

Here's a partial view of the one at Findlay measured about 4'x4' with long ropes and a hell of a lot of swing ! Tough for everyone.
2n7nwag.jpg

On another note if any of you are on Facebook could you please vote for a picture in the FDAC photo contest and vote for mine if you like it the best
wink.gif

Just click the link below and hit like. Any votes would be greatly appreciated.
Add me as a friend if you like !

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3...e=1&theater

Here's the pic
33zclm1.jpg

I voted for you when I got home lol...

Just got back from scouting Rock Candy mountain area. Thats up in Capital Forest on Summit Lake side. Not tooo bad... couple spots off the logging road that was well over 1000 yards, its just matter of position. Here's a clear cut I was shooting at 500 yards. Wind was a bitch lol, right to left 3/4 value 5-10mph changing every 3 seconds it seemed.

Im going to scout some places in Mason&Grays country in very near future. That Platform shooting looks fun, reminds me when we would shoot from Blackhawks in the Army. We would use are sling swivel and attach to bungee cords across the chopper doors and it worked fairly well.

Any details on if I can bring my own steel to upper nisqually range? Just carious on how laid back they are.

I have seen people bring steel out there in the past. The person to talk to would be Roy,He is the caretaker and lives on site.I don't have the phone # But it is on the unsc web page.

ZX2Man,

Currently, Nisqually doesn't let people shoot steel on the rifle deck. I asked for permission to do some testing on the steel targets I want to use for the match, and got permission. However, I'm supposed to contact the club and let them know when I'll be doing the testing so they can advise the people out there that I have been given permission.

What I want to find out is how far I have to drive the steel T posts into the ground so they will hold up to rifle fire. I'm hoping I find that I don't have to drive the posts in past the barb. If I have to drive the posts in past the barb, they can be a real bear to get out later.

If you want to coordinate times with me and go out to help me with the testing, that would be fine with me. I was thinking of going out early next week, maybe Monday or Tuesday, but I'm flexible. I try to schedule things so I miss driving out there during either morning or evening rush hour.

As the match limits cartridges to 30-06, 8mm mauser, 7.62x51 and similar cartridges, I'll bring some 308 ammo to test, and my 300 Win mag. If I can bang steel with the 300 Win mag, and the stands stay up without me having to drive the posts in very far, I'll be really pleased.

If you want to help test, and maybe even have some fun doing it, PM me and we can try to set up a time to shoot some steel out there.

I will let you know ahead of time if you use 300wm at 100 you minimallywill have to drive the blade in maybe even bury it a ways. Magnums at close range beat the living shit out of stands, they don't hurt the steel luckily just the stands

Ok, Thanks UnKnown. I will pm you if I can make it. I get off work at 7am and might be able to work something out.

I have 2 5/8" steel pepper poppers. They have steel stakes welded into them. When I go shooting, I simply stab the popper into the groud and it holds up fine to .308. I do not shoot any ap ammo, just 175 gr sierra match, so I would "think" there should be zero prabs. Im going to be several hundred yards away from the steel when I am shooting, and I figure other shooters on the deck would not be in any danger, so hopefully we can work something out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zx2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got back from scouting Rock Candy mountain area. Thats up in Capital Forest on Summit Lake side. Not tooo bad... couple spots off the logging road that was well over 1000 yards, its just matter of position. Here's a clear cut I was shooting at 500 yards. Wind was a bitch lol, right to left 3/4 value 5-10mph changing every 3 seconds it seemed.

Im going to scout some places in Mason&Grays country in very near future. That Platform shooting looks fun, reminds me when we would shoot from Blackhawks in the Army. We would use are sling swivel and attach to bungee cords across the chopper doors and it worked fairly well.

Any details on if I can bring my own steel to upper nisqually range? Just carious on how laid back they are. </div></div>

That is pretty typical of the wind in the canyons up there. I used to shoot in that area almost daily and it definitely forces you to read wind. But thats what makes a guy better.

7mmAM you gonna join us up in Acme this Sunday?

Now worries... good luck to you and akmike at KF

Very true Travis! I got out of the Army in 05, and just starting to get back into the swing of things, reading wind is a perishable art, and there was not a lot of mirage up there yesterday.

Good luck at Kettle Falls, and thanks for the pm. 7-9 month wait on rifles, ouch. But if you want quality, it is what it is
smile.gif

Ill certainly keep you in mind.

A reminder to those coming out Sunday that we'll be meeting before at the Sedro Wooley AMPM gas station (830 Moore St, Sedro Woolley, WA 98284) at 0900.

I made a mistake guy's I'm going out on sat. I can't do sun. I hope you guy's have a good time though.

Have any of you fellows used the system of "Station pressure" rather than elevation and barometric pressure?

I was having some issues with my Kestrel and spoke with the manufacturer, and they said to just use station pressure as that doesn't require me to get the local elevation and barometric pressure, but yields the same data.

I'm really skeptical, but so far, it seems to work out just fine...I'm just used to doing it "long form", and wondered if anyone else has gone through this issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you fellows used the system of "Station pressure" rather than elevation and barometric pressure?

I was having some issues with my Kestrel and spoke with the manufacturer, and they said to just use station pressure as that doesn't require me to get the local elevation and barometric pressure, but yields the same data.

I'm really skeptical, but so far, it seems to work out just fine...I'm just used to doing it "long form", and wondered if anyone else has gone through this issue. </div></div>
I use nothing but station pressure in my solutions. The ballistic computer just converts the barometric press, & altitude to density altitude anyway. Station pressure along with temp, & humidity gives the same thing with less error.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe1/75th</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bigwheels,
What elevation is the 1950 at again? </div></div>
about 1800'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A reminder to those coming out Sunday that we'll be meeting before at the Sedro Wooley AMPM gas station (830 Moore St, Sedro Woolley, WA 98284) at 0900.</div></div>

I'll see you guys there.

I won't be there at the Sunday meet-up, but hopefully I can make the next one. My rifle still isn't back from GAP. I did get pictures of the re-paint job which means it is only a few more days away from shipping. I'll be at the Renton IDPA match tomorrow.

There is a picture of my stock on first posting at this link: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3325771#Post3325771

Anyone bringing an elr rig out on Sun? I was going to shoot 1950 tomorrow, but Joe had to cancel. Course the weather is calling for rain on Sun. Maybe I'll still go tomorrow.

im going to bring my 338 edge i shot it last time at 940 and it was really easy. see you there

I am still planning on making it out Sunday.Who knows, maybe We'll get lucky and catch a break in the rain. Either way I have some new steel I want to ring.

I hate my job sometimes. I have to cancel being there tomorrow guys. A clients offer was submitted last Thursday and the Bank who owns the property sent us notice of multiple offers and that we have to submit a new highest & best offer within 24 hours which is tomorrow at 4:19pm. I have to meet my client tomorrow morning to redo all the paperwork and submit it or else she might lose the house she wants to buy. I apologize for the last minute notice and I hope everyone still has fun...
mad.gif

I'll still be at the AM/PM at 9 tomorrow for whoever wants to come and doesn't know how to get there.

I'm already up there. Just parked the camper, & going to watch a movie. See you in the am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate my job sometimes. I have to cancel being there tomorrow guys. A clients offer was submitted last Thursday and the Bank who owns the property sent us notice of multiple offers and that we have to submit a new highest & best offer within 24 hours which is tomorrow at 4:19pm. I have to meet my client tomorrow morning to redo all the paperwork and submit it or else she might lose the house she wants to buy. I apologize for the last minute notice and I hope everyone still has fun...
mad.gif
</div></div>

Too back, I was hoping meet you this time.

I know for a fact that Broker was really planning on being there. He came by my house on Friday to pick up a bunch of steel targets, a range finder, and Kestrel to take up there. He was really looking forward to going....sorry he missed it, but when work (or duty) calls, it is seldom optional.

Big thanx to bigwheel for sharing his awesome spot and his steel.
Broker, you missed a really good day of shooting in a light rain with wind that keeps you guessing of much it is blowing, then switches direction. I learned a lot.
It was awesome. AD1 brought 4 dif targets and they got hit with 300 win mag and 338 edge and neither put a dent in them, tough stuff. Thanx AD1
Beretta and I got a chance to shoot up to 1250 yds for the very first time with good success, we will be back for sure, hopefully minus precipitation.
Big thanx again to all that showed up, it was a great day.
Broker, next time bro.