• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Not so new member here. Just checking in after a few years away. I'm local to Monroe area and shoot a few time in Sultan. I take it ACME is across the sound?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WaGuns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not so new member here. Just checking in after a few years away. I'm local to Monroe area and shoot a few time in Sultan. I take it ACME is across the sound? </div></div>

Acme is just North of Sedro Wooley. Not to far from you actually...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acme is just North of Sedro Wooley. Not to far from you actually...</div></div>
Is this lead throwing location exclusive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WaGuns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acme is just North of Sedro Wooley. Not to far from you actually...</div></div>
Is this lead throwing location exclusive? </div></div>

It's a little known watering hole for long distance shooters up North.

Yes. My spot is exclusive. There is enough traffic up there these days already, so there is No Way I want my spot advertised to the whole world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. My spot is exclusive. There is enough traffic up there these days already, so there is No Way I want my spot advertised to the whole world. </div></div>

I feel for you Bigwheels, Having an exclusive spot is great until two friends tell two other friends who tell two others and so on...
Pretty soon it turns to shit and gets shut down.

People need to realize how rare spots like that are on this side and keep it to a tight knit group or the only game in town is across the mountains.

If BW invited me to shoot at his location, I'd treat it like his vacation house and be glad that he shared it with me for the day but it wouldn't be mine because I know where it's at.

I have to chime in here, Jeff has put on some great shoots at this location and also has been kind enough to take new shooters up there so they could have the opportunity to shoot steel at longer distances. Locations where one can bang steel at distance are out there, but it has been other folkssuch as Jeff that have put in the time and energy to find them. I live in Seattle and find it easier to just head out to E-burg and hike out and set my steel up, shoot, pick it up and call it a day. For some Acme is more convenient, but its a location that can be busy with other outdoor activities and it doesn't take a lot of carelessness up there, for some folks to start to complain.
Waguns by the way that's a pretty website, since its been a while you might want to look up SHWW, also theres lots of good spots to shoot out the highway 2.

Waguns,
I think your effort to put out locations of gun stores is praiseworthy. Many of the people here guard their shooting spots very closely because once the location gets out, the gravel pit people who show up drunk and leave junk around ruin it for the rest of us. Once that happens, some government agency (understandably) closes it down.

Fortunately, there are some groups who have annual outings to clean up areas that have been trashed by the drunken bubbas that leave their garbage at the site after they finish with their dangerous method of shooting.

These groups do other shooters a great service by getting us some positive public relations to offset the damage done by the idiots who shoot up road signs, and leave shot up television sets and appliances at what used to be really nice secret shooting areas.

Perhaps if someone started publishing clean up events, the people who show up to the clean up events would be the people automatically "vetted" as being worthy of finding out about all the nice secret shooting spots.

I know I won't publish any sites that are easy to get to. I'll only go there with people I know and have already decided to trust.

A very BIG thanks to Bigwheels is deserved today. He is a very gracious host, super knowledgeable and one hell of a shot. He took me up to his spot and we had some great shooting from two FFPs. A very nice guy! I learned a lot about distance, shooting, loading, etc.

I apologize that I can’t recall his friend’s name – also a terrific guy on every level. Both were great fun to shoot with and are welcome at my secret spot in Sultan any time. These guys can hit a walnut at 1000 yards in swirling wind without even trying too hard.

I can appreciate the comments about not wanting to publicize a good spot. I won’t be heading up to Bigwheels’ spot without letting him know and I’m sure as hell not going to leave any trash when I’m there, shoot without a decent backstop, leave up any posts, or break any other of the common sense – or good stewardship rules. It is hard to find a good spot on the west side of our state and if someone is going to trust me with something like that, I have a responsibility not to f- it up.

I’m looking forward to trying out some other spots.

It was my pleasure to have you up. You shot well, & you should have seen your face when you hit the 1250yd tgt the first time. Priceless. The wind was brutal yesterday. Among the most fickle I can remember. Calm to 10mph, hard up, & down drafts, & fishtailing as well. Next time you'll have to come up for some 1950yd shooting with better weather.

Hey Guys... I have a Chrony Beta Master I purchased off of some here on the hide awhile back. It's in almost new condition. I figured I'd offer it up to someone local first for what I paid $75 FTF. PM me if interested...

If I don't have any takers by tomorrow evening I'm going to put it up for sale here on the hide...

Ok. The time has come. The weekend of the 3rd I will be heading over to my "mountain shooting" spot for some scouting, & elr shooting. I am still considering a "Magnum" shoot up there for the end of next month. I'm not going to go to the trouble of getting sponsors for prizes or t-shirts, & such but if we want to Anne up some cash for a winner take all purse that's fine. I'm thinking the "short" range targets will be about 700-800yd going out to over a mile. If you want to bring a 308 I'll not ban you, but I reserve the right to laugh. I also want it to be relatively small, so I want you guys to chime in if you want to participate. This will be a huge undertaking for me, so I would like to get some "gratuitous donations" for the cost of fuel, etc. Some volunteers to help set up would be nice as well. So if you are willing to do it let me know.

I won't be able to shoot as I haven't loaded up any ammo, and wouldn't have time to load, chrono, and do all the stuff to shoot a match that soon.

However I do have some steel you are welcome to use. If I can get away to help out I can bring it up. Otherwise, I can send it up with someone, or I can meet you before then to get it to you. Here is what I have (with mounting stands).

3 six inch squares three eights thick
2 eight inch rounds, quarter inch
2 5.5x8.5 inch rectangles mounted vertically, quarter inch
1 ten inch round, quarter inch

Let me know if you can use some more targets and I'll be happy to loan them to you.

Sounds like a good time, but the closest thing I have to a magnum is my little .260.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a good time, but the closest thing I have to a magnum is my little .260.
smile.gif
</div></div>
your little .260 is just fine bud, as long as you bring its suppressor everytime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BW - is a 208AMAX at 2750 ft/s be enough for ELR? </div></div>
The 208a max transitions well so it will do fine. I used it to 2000yd several times pushing them @ 2950fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm down in Puyallup area and would like to find a decent place to shoot without all the trailer park retards. </div></div>

Welcome Sig. I highly recommend if you want some place local and within 30 minutes you check out the Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club. They have ranges out to 550. When we have another outing feel free to join up with us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a good time, but the closest thing I have to a magnum is my little .260.
smile.gif
</div></div>
You can bring it. I said I wont ban anyones equipment. Wheather it will reach to a mile????? Come up, & try the 1950yd tgt some time, & find out.
Also. I just found out that I may have to attend a burial on the 25th over in Yakama, so the whole thing might be cancelled/postponed anyway. Since no one has said they want to attend anyway I'll probably bag it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a good time, but the closest thing I have to a magnum is my little .260.
smile.gif
</div></div>
You can bring it. I said I wont ban anyones equipment. Wheather it will reach to a mile????? Come up, & try the 1950yd tgt some time, & find out.
Also. I just found out that I may have to attend a burial on the 25th over in Yakama, so the whole thing might be cancelled/postponed anyway. Since no one has said they want to attend anyway I'll probably bag it. </div></div>

I'm confused. What are the dates? I though you meant this weekend coming up, but now it sounds like you meant the end of August which means others may have thought the same thing...

I said I was heading over to scout on the 3rd. I was thinking of having it in late Aug. I have to see if the roads are possible up there. The area is just a mile or two from the wilderness boundry @ 5200+' asl. Last yr I hada lottery of storm damage to deal with.

i need some help advice on a gun deal.

I'm working on an out of state trade for a rifle and i was wondering if anyone had any experience in this. I'm kinda nervous about shipping a gun to someone without any guarantee of them shipping theirs to me. i realize ffl's are involved but i just really haven't ever dealt with this before and could really use some help.

any kind of do's or don't would be appreciated.

also what is the tax charged based on? I'm not as well off as i was a few months ago and can't really afford to spend a lot on my hobby. things are tight around my house.

thanks for the help. wasn't sure where or who to ask so i figured id start here.

I would do your homework on the person for sure. Give them a call and talk with them. Get a feel for whats going on before sending your stuff. Call the FFL and ask them about the person.

THe tax is based on the value of the firearm. Though most FFL's will waive the tax if its a trade. Some FFL dealers will not.

If the person sending their rifle is not an FFL then they'll need to ship theirs through an FFL. I would agree to have my FFL work with the other FFL and have both send them at the same time but not until both are in each others possession. Require a tracking number the same day and if for some reason they don't provide a tracking number and the other FFL doesn't ship you can have yours recall the package before delivery. Above all though Jake is right. Research the guy and if you aren't comfortable then don't do it. Tax wise the FFL is to supposed to estimate the value and charge you on that.

Add: Are you trading with someone here on the Hide? If so what's their handle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the person sending their rifle is not an FFL then they'll need to ship theirs through an FFL.</div></div>

The sender doesn't have to be an FFL, only the receiving end, and only if it crosses state lines. However, it might be a good idea to ask them to ship from an FFL just for the sake of tracking the item. The sending FFL can verify the firearm and get you shipping info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the person sending their rifle is not an FFL then they'll need to ship theirs through an FFL. I would agree to have my FFL work with the other FFL and have both send them at the same time but not until both are in each others possession. Require a tracking number the same day and if for some reason they don't provide a tracking number and the other FFL doesn't ship you can have yours recall the package before delivery. Above all though Jake is right. Research the guy and if you aren't comfortable then don't do it. Tax wise the FFL is to supposed to estimate the value and charge you on that.

Add: Are you trading with someone here on the Hide? If so what's their handle? </div></div>

i would prefer to do a ffl to ffl tranfer/trade with both having the guns in their possesion that way a third party takes both of our trades and we just have to sign the paperwork when it shows up. that kinda take the worry out of it for both of us. the deal is I'm trading an ar for a bolt gun. he wants me to ship the upper directly to him and the lower to the ffl but i would only ship the complete gun to the ffl.

and yes he is a hide member. his screen name is "Scrap".
if you read this scrap its not that i don't trust you, i just don't trust anyone i don't know and I'm trying to cover my ass as best as possible.

Thats a really nice rifle!!!

Anyway, check out the guy, he has been around for a while so I would say your good to go, but then again, its not my deal so I am not in your shoes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the person sending their rifle is not an FFL then they'll need to ship theirs through an FFL.</div></div>

The sender doesn't have to be an FFL, only the receiving end, and only if it crosses state lines. However, it might be a good idea to ask them to ship from an FFL just for the sake of tracking the item. The sending FFL can verify the firearm and get you shipping info. </div></div>

Jason I assumed it was across State lines or else he'd be doing it FTF... When you gonna come out with us one of these days and do some shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the person sending their rifle is not an FFL then they'll need to ship theirs through an FFL.</div></div>

The sender doesn't have to be an FFL, only the receiving end, and only if it crosses state lines. However, it might be a good idea to ask them to ship from an FFL just for the sake of tracking the item. The sending FFL can verify the firearm and get you shipping info. </div></div>

I assumed it was across State lines or else he'd be doing it FTF... </div></div>

you assumed correct. i would prefer ftf but you take what you can get.

I wanted it to be clear for anyone who may read this that the sender of the firearm doesn't have to be an FFL, only the receiver. That's something I hear a lot of confusion about, as well as the fact that firearms can be shipped within a state without any FFL at all. If I'm confident in a seller I avoid the extra cost of having an FFL ship it.

I haven't shot in months, but i'll have my degree in another month so I can go get a normal job and have weekends again!

SSSamurai is correct. You can ship to his ffl yourself. You can't ship direct to him without running afoul of BATFE, as out of state deals have to transfer through an FFL, but you can ship to his ffl yourself. The post office is one of the cheapest ways of shipping firearms to an FFL.

Occasionally, I have had the post office ask to see the FFL's address to insure that the rifle is going to the FFL, but I really haven't had much problem with the post office.

Any recomendations for a gunsmith in the Puget Sound area? There is a guy in Bonney Lake but I haven't seen any reviews (on the web) on his service. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hog

Mike Palazzo in Covington. I have had him put 2 rifles together for me and they both shoot really well.

Perhaps a little far if you're looking just around Puget Sound, but don't overlook James Thomas of High Speed Shooting Systems in Yakima (posts as hsss here on the Hide.) I've done 4 builds with him in the past year and he's awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps a little far if you're looking just around Puget Sound, but don't overlook James Thomas of High Speed Shooting Systems in Yakima (posts as hsss here on the Hide.) I've done 4 builds with him in the past year and he's awesome. </div></div>

Big +1 for JD, I have 3 builds by him and they all shoot great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm down in Puyallup area and would like to find a decent place to shoot without all the trailer park retards. </div></div>

Welcome Sig. I highly recommend if you want some place local and within 30 minutes you check out the Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club. They have ranges out to 550. When we have another outing feel free to join up with us.</div></div>

Thanks Broker! I'm in need of some trigger time, it has been way too long!

I shoot there...guests make it fun. Broker and I are both members...Maybe we can get an outing set up.

I'm a member at Paul Bunyan and enjoy shooting there since it's only five minures from the house. I have shot at UNSC's 600 yd Sunday matches a few times and enjoy the folks who show up. All a bunch of good guys. I will likely join there as well so I can use their 550yd range.

Hog

Although the drive to UNSC is a real pain, it is nice to have the 550 yard range any time I show up. They don't mind at all if I put a bunch of clay birds on the bank at 550 and shoot at them. I asked about that practice, and they said it is OK, and commonly done there. They even told me to scout the trap and skeet fields to look for unbroken birds to get for free...

How are they for more rapid fire? I know the couple smaller ranges near me allow 1 shot/second. Find for bolt action, but would kinda suck for the AR

No rapid fire allowed. 1 shot per second. My primary is an AR and it's not a problem when you're shooting for precision...

Sounds good. I'm one that would rather hit the target than just send bullets for the hell of it. But at the same time, I'd like to see how fast I can get bullets on target accurately.

UNSC is really a pretty decent club. I have been a member for about a year and a half, and haven't run into any "range nazis" yet.

I don't mind it when I am chastised for driving too fast, because I was guilty of the offense. They simply told me what the speed limit was, noted that I was driving too fast, and politely said to slow down.

I have been at ranges where it appears that some of the old timers are more interested in finding someone to scold about some trivial matter, rather than going to the range to shoot.

Because I was guilty, I took the warning in stride, and they let the matter drop afterwards.

The rate of fire thing isn't much of an issue with a bolt gun. If you are actually trying to hit something with a bolt gun, a round a second is just fine. With a semi-auto, I still like to aim and hit things, so it hasn't been an issue.

I have never tried to bump fire anywhere, as I am too cheap to throw ammo away like that.