• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

question about 300weatherby mag ammo.

Buck44

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2011
Ballistically what will factory round nose ammo do compared to say a nosler? I bought this without realizing what it was and was wanting to take it moose hunting. Im sure it will do ok at 100-200 yards but curious what it should do from 200-400?

Re: question about 300weatherby mag ammo.

I have shot a 300 weatherby for years. Assuming you and your gun are accurate it will work to about whatever range you are good with. I personally like to 180 grains stuff with accubonds being at the top but barnes, hormady interlock or spire point, nosler partitions all work well. George at GAP has had good luck with the guilding metal hornady bullets out of 7wsm so you might look at the 165 guilding metal for the 300. Midway usa has all of these in stock. I am very comfortable with my 300 out to 1000yds so don't be afraid to shoot it.

Buck44,

Use this .pdf from Weatherby to get the basics from their ballistics analysis:

Weatherby Ballistic Comparisons

The comparison chart is using a 200 gr. NPT against the 220 gr. RN-Ex. In essence, the Partition as a spitzer, has a higher BC and will therefore retain velocity and energy for greater distances.

Using just the chart, you should be good for 500 yards or a tad less. This will depend on several variables of course, so this is not written in stone. It's a general answer to a general question. Your best judgment is your guide.

The moose I harvested was shot on the edge a forest before he had to cross an open space, at a bit over 200 yards. We stalked for the better part of two hours before I took the shot. He was broadside to me and besides, I didn't want to have to drag him out of the water he was heading for...

The cartridge was the venerable .300 H&H loaded with a Nosler 180 gr. Partition.

Regards.

Thanks.. Ive read the info on the Weatherby site and it seems like I am only about 4 inches different at 400... I am going to test shoot it a little but the problem is I leave Thursday morning and it is pouring today... Im running out of time. Just wanted to ask on here and see if I got a "heck NO... DOnt do that!!" I think I will be alright.