• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing quick serial number question

Texas_Republic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Texas
I am in the process of posting a rifle for sell on a website. I am a little nervous about posting a close up picture with the serial number being visible to anyone in the world. Is my nervousness justified? Is it ok if I post it with the serial photshopped out? Would that make you suspicious of purchasing the rifle if the serial number was photoshopped? Whats he industry standard on this sorta deal...?

Re: quick serial number question

nope wouldnt make me worry at all. Blur it out, also when you sell the rifle it will have to go to a FFL so the serial number will be put under the new owners name so you are covered. Post it up without worry just blur out the last 4 or 5 numbers

When posting information on receivers I always XXXX the last 4 digits of the serial number.

That's just me.

Great. Thanks guys for the advice. Thats what I figured. Is there one website that is better than others for selling rifles online? Not interested in the auction process..just a straight up sell. Any suggestions?

Didnt know there was a forum exactly for that here. Ill look for it and will come back if I cant find it. hah. ....Found it. I never have scrolled down that far without getting tempted before hand. Appreciate it guys.

Don't take different photos that may have some of the numbers in one photo and others in another (happened here, I didn't post so others wouldn't notice). Guy tried to block them out, but over the course of the pics you could get all the numbers.
Chad