• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

rcbs 505 scale

landtech308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2010
clay county kentucky
seems like every time i way something i have to rebalance the scale as in when i take it off and dump and replace the pan im not getting a dead zero. is this because the scale is so light and moves easy? has anyone else had this prob anway will probably upgrade to something better when i get the funds. so what would you all recommend and any quick fix to hold me over for a month or so?

Re: rcbs 505 scale

Check the area you're using the scale in. I noticed when I had it on one side of my work bench that the heating/air conditioning vent breeze was blowing on it just so slightly which was enough to give me skewed results.

Make sure there aren't any drafts... I assume the scale is clean and in serviceable condition. Make sure that if you are using a powder trickler the trickler doesn't "leak" a few kernels on either the pan, or in your charge when you put it on the scale. I have never lubricated my 5-0-5, but look at the owners manual and see if that is recommended. I personally like mine.. while it's not the fastest method, mine is dead nuts on.

Also once you get it set don't move it. Be very easy with it no bumping and no air moving around it. I have the same scale and as long as I do these things it good to go.

"..when i take it off and dump and replace the pan im not getting a dead zero."

You have friction from somewhere. It's likely a dirty V block or friction on the pivot ends but you could have a damaged pivot knife edge.

Remove the beam and clean the pivot bar - carefully, so as to not dull the knife edges. Use a sharpend tooth pick to clean the bottom of the V blocks to remove any dirt or dust.

Replace the beam and make sure it's centered between the V bearing retainers; if a pivot end is rubbing the bearing clip the beam isn't free to move properly.

If cleaning doesn't fix it remove the beam and examine the pivot knife edges under a magnifying glass, checking for small burrs or dullness that can inhibit free swinging. If it's messed up, at all, you need to fix it or get it fixed (sharpened).

thank you guys for the info yeah it should be clean havent had it two weeks but will look it over and make sure. think the problem is the surface i have it on is slick and maybe im moving it a little anyone ever entertained the idea of putting some kind of non slick material on the bottom of the adjustment shoe.or maybe adding some wait to the scale body to keep it from moving so easily ? don't think this should alter performance any.

I re-zero mine every time I use it, just in case it's gotten moved around on the shelf. It just takes a minute or so.

Scales are sensative instruments. If you find that yours is getting moved around alot during use, you should consider being more gentle with it.

I zero mine one time at the beginning of a loading session, where it will sit until I'm finished with it and then put it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I re-zero mine every time I use it, just in case it's gotten moved around on the shelf. It just takes a minute or so. </div></div>

505 is an Excellent Scale. Own a check weight set? If you confirm your zero with check weight, just gives you that much more confidence and precision....

Try to keep any electrical items away as they will cause problems. Leave it on and never turn it off if possible. BR guys have alot of good info on how to stablize scales.

ot, but a friend of mine got into reloading this time last year. Bought the rcbs kit, I helped him out. He started reloading for a 260rem. We went to the range, the first time, everything was ok, gun shot alright. He found a load he wanted to use. So he goes home, and loads a bunch up on his 505, comes back to the range, is blowing primers out (2), third time (I told him to quit shooting), but he shoots again gets a stuck bolt, as in, he was done shooting stuck bolt. Goes home, loads some more, comes back a couple days later, same damn thing.

We finally figured out, it was the ac vent DIRECTLY above his reloading table, blowing air down into his scale. Moral of this, be conscienceless of where you put your scale/reloading table.