• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rear sandbag for F Class

isaactc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Traverse City, Mi
i am going to my first 1,000 yard F/TR class competition in a few weeks. My shooting buddy has noticed me fidgeting constantly with my cheap rear bag. Up to now, I have shot only up to 600 yards. He says I better get a good solid rest for 1,000 yards. Any suggestions? I am shooting a Savage 10fcp/Mcmillan .308 which I love. Shooting off a Harris bi-pod up front. I like this set up. It works pretty well for me. I just need a stable rear platform to help me "stabilize" my sight picture. Any suggestion appreciated

Re: Rear sandbag for F Class

Some of us will be using bunny ear or rabbit ear type bags, some filled with heavy sand, others with plastic pellets. Myself and a few others use a pillow type bag filled with plastic pellets. If you do not have a particular bag you think is just right just ask and I am sure we will let you try out our back bags.

A good idea is to bring a plastic tarp of about 4'x7' size to put down on the firing lines and some tent pins to hold it down. The firing lines are pretty sandy. A small piece of carpet works good to put your bipod on too, so it does not dig into the sand and change elevation with every shot.

Bob L.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is some good information and photos in this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1452115 </div></div>

Here is another useful thread on Accurate Shooter:
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php/topic,3767120.msg35964064.html

With that kind of stock I would get something like a Protektor # 14 with Cordura ears and double stitching between the ears (Sinclair part no. BAG30), or an Edgewood mini-gator (Sinclair part no. 04-7510), more $$$. Generally, you want a tall a bag as practicable for F-TR (depending on your particular bipod). If you get serious about F-class, Protektor will make you a custom Dr. bag however you like it for about $150 filled with heavy sand and shipped. That's what I did.

Here's the DR. Bag.
2011-06-06_18-10-14_311.jpg

DroidPics033.jpg

I recently shot in an F-class competition at my local range. I was used to using a rear monopod, which aren't allowed in F-class. I had previously purchased the Red Tac 1/2 pint, rear bag, and tactical pillow from Triad as small/medium/large rear bags, respectively, because I wasn't really sure which would be the most appropriate height for shooting to 600 yd from the line at my range. I ended up using the tactical pillow in the comp, but could have also probably used the medium bag equally well. All are very well-made and will last a long time. Bottom line is to know the approximate elevation range you'll need under the buttstock to decide what height rear bag you'll want. Although each has a range of adjustment using the off hand, angle to the target and buttstock dimensions may point to a more specific size if you don't want several different sizes like I did.