• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Reasons not to buy Silencerco Omega 300?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Edit: changed title to Omega 300 not the Omega 30. Based on their website the Omega 300 is the only one available.

I am in motion to buy a “one and done” 30 cal can.

I know better than to ask what is the “best” can because that is subjective that comes with 20K different choices.

It will be used on bolt action only rifles. I only have 30 cal and under (308).

It will probably never see use on the 308, and will be used on a 223, 6.5 Grendel, 6 arc, and a 6.5 creed. I may one day get a 300 blackout bolt rifle.

Application will be range enjoyment/plinking etc and hunting. I will 99% never use it in a PRS comp because I prefer my brake for that.

It’s seems to be just a plain ole good can. Any reason not to get one and go a different route?

I already have a good Rimfire can so hopefully this will be my one and only do all centerfire suppressor.
Thank you

Last edited:
It’s never one and done. My one and done was a TBAC Ultra 9…in 30 cal…so I didn’t have to buy another can….

That worked out as you think it would. I enjoy my “one and done” can!!

I also enjoy my

TBAC 22 takedown
Griffin Optimus Micro
SilencerCo Saker ASR 556
SilencerCo 36M
TBAC 338 Ultra SR

See how that works 😁👍

That said I do enjoy my 36M which is the 36 cal (9mm) version of the Omega 30. I think it’s a great can. It’s one of my spares and get used on my Tikka CTR and any AR10 I own/owned. I use the ASR brakes and they work very well. My BIL has the Omega 30 and has used it for many several years and likes it

You’re going to get many suggestions as most people suggest whatever they have. The list will be endless. If money was no issue and your sticking to 30 cal and under the TBAC magnus with HUB or SR would be my current one and done.

Consider the mounts when buying a can as well. The hub can run others mount/brakes. The SR are a bit harder to find used and run about $145 per brake. The ASR SilencerCo are relatively cheaper and you see them often on here used. I think I payed $60-$80 for my ASR brakes and flash hiders

Last edited:
I have one and have had no problems with it. I have used it on bolt guns in 308, 300 WM and 6.5 cm. Like mentioned above there is really no "one and done" can. They can be like rabbits. I have used other cans from other companies but the Omega is one of my favorites

Reactions: kthomas
I saw “one and done” and thought oh no! But bolt gun only is good because they’re really gassy on ARs in my experience.

There are newer, lighter cans with a better recoil impulse from what I read. Having said that, it’ll fit the role you stated.

Reactions: redx
It is definitely a "good 'ol can", as you put it. And for ~$600, as it's sold for at some places, it's a hell of a deal.

It's not a very large volume can, but it's a great "do it all" .30 cal suppressor in most circumstances.

Not too heavy, not too long, decent enough suppression. You can certainly get more suppression from other, larger suppressors, but unless you are suppressing a LA magnum cartridge, it's not necessary.

Should work great for your application.

I saw “one and done” and thought oh no! But bolt gun only is good because they’re really gassy on ARs in my experience.

There are newer, lighter cans with a better recoil impulse from what I read. Having said that, it’ll fit the role you stated.

I agree, in that Omegas aren't great for semi platforms. My KAC with an Omega is incredibly gassy. With my Abel Co Biscuit, it's very pleasant.

If the OP gets a semi, he'll have an excuse to buy another can.

Reactions: JC0352

I know better than to ask what is the “best” can because that is subjective that comes with 20K different choices.

It will probably never see use on the 308, and will be used on a 223, 6.5 Grendel, 6 arc, and a 6.5 creed. I may one day get a 300 blackout bolt rifle.

Application will be range enjoyment/plinking etc and hunting. I will 99% never use it in a PRS comp because I prefer my brake for that.

It’s seems to be just a plain ole good can. Any reason not to get one and go a different route?

I already have a good Rimfire can so hopefully this will be my one and only do all centerfire suppressor.
Thank you
The Omega-300 is one of the Go-To suppressors I use when proposing, quoting and delivering complete package work rifles. Almost 100% is with the ASR mount. I trust it totally to perform consistently, not be picky, be repeatable and be able to handle dumbasses. Note that almost all are exclusively on bolt guns. Regarding semi-autos, we don't see too much overgassing on 5.56 but it can become obvious on large frame guns with more gas volume.

We order without the Anchor brake on the front and go with a flat cap instead. ASR mounts on everything allow seamless movement from gun to gun regardless of the original muzzle thread differences.

I believe SiCo has about 160,000 of them in circulation. The 36M was designed to replace it but the 300 is still doing so well they just kept both SKUs active.

You can get suppressors with less back pressure, lighter weight and maybe less dB but the 300 Omega works extremely well.

Doesn’t matter if a can is gassy if you setup a dedicated upper that’s properly tuned for it, either AGB or BRT EZ Tune gas tube. Also usually they’re quieter than flow. Pair it with a KAK downward BCG and a ACH charging handle and you’ll have a really nice setup.
Everyone here should have a dedicated suppressed upper anyways … what are you, poor ?
Also no such thing as one and done. It’s the same story with QD caliber kits, thermal, NV, alpha optics, etc. The whole I’ll buy this nice xxxx and swap it back and forth with my other guns … eventually you’ll get another and another, it’s a curse.

I got an omega close to 10 years ago it was one of my first cans, with 16 or 17 now I can’t remember the last time I shot it. It’s a fine can but there’s better and lighter ones out there these days. If I could only have one it’d be a CGS Helios QD Ti, it sounds good no matter what’s it’s on semi or bolt, lightweight and reasonably sized. I like it so much I bought a second one.

Reactions: YotaEer
I’ve been using one on all kinds of calibers that fit and love it. Also have a 36M and a Sparrow for center fire. All seem to do well. The Omega has handled some mag dumps with 5.56 FA just fine. Same with Sparrow but with .22LR

Thank you

There are just better options, it's an old silencer.

The omega isn't bad but there are quite a few others I'd pick first in a similar length and price range.

Liberty precision machine Anthem S (mach S If you want ti)
Diligent defense Enticer S ti (or stainless if you prefer)
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen 30 S
Resilient Jolene S

If you were interested in something quieter, longer, more advanced but also more expensive in the 8" range the CAT JL Ti hub is 8.2" and 9.9oz. This thing is incredibly good. Very lightweight, sounds amazing.

But tbh the above options in that size price range will serve you well.

Reactions: Yondering
What $$ are you looking to spend or willing to spend on this one and done can? Assuming in the price range of the omega but opinions will change with your budget

Doesn’t matter if a can is gassy if you setup a dedicated upper that’s properly tuned for it, either AGB or BRT EZ Tune gas tube. Also usually they’re quieter than flow. Pair it with a KAK downward BCG and a ACH charging handle and you’ll have a really nice setup.
Everyone here should have a dedicated suppressed upper anyways … what are you, poor ?
Also no such thing as one and done. It’s the same story with QD caliber kits, thermal, NV, alpha optics, etc. The whole I’ll buy this nice xxxx and swap it back and forth with my other guns … eventually you’ll get another and another, it’s a curse.
I'm not running a semi. I do not own one nor do I want one. I'm just running bolt guns. I don't doubt that "one and done" is a fair tale, but that is the way I am approaching it for now.

What $$ are you looking to spend or willing to spend on this one and done can? Assuming in the price range of the omega but opinions will change with your budget

$1K for the can. I picked the omega 30 for a few reasons: I've shot a rifle a few times using one, so I've heard it - liked it. I was going to buy their Scythe, but I watched a few videos on the Scythe and I didn't like the tone and it seemed louder.

I also have the same strategy as I did when I bought my rimfire can - I'm buying an established company that I trust their product and their longevity. I don't want to buy from a mom and pop small fab shop that may be belly up in 3 years.

I welcome other suggestions then. Thank you

Reactions: hafejd30
Here's my new Diligent Defense Enticer LTi next to my 8+ year old Omega. Both have very different point of uses. Omega feels and looks to be more durable. I've had the classic Omega baffle strike before. Have seen 2 guys at the range launch their Omegas too. For duty use Omega is my choice. The Enticer is purely for hunting since it's over 50% lighter. The Omega's Anchor brake works! It has less recoil on the same gun vs my Enticer, however Enticer is quieter.
The Omega is "old" but damn she's been good to me.
Thunderbeast released a very good test. Omega still good if you sort by "decibel at shooters ear" as a starting spot. https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/

1000004612.jpg

Reactions: rookie7 and kthomas
$1K for the can. I picked the omega 30 for a few reasons: I've shot a rifle a few times using one, so I've heard it - liked it. I was going to buy their Scythe, but I watched a few videos on the Scythe and I didn't like the tone and it seemed louder.

I also have the same strategy as I did when I bought my rimfire can - I'm buying an established company that I trust their product and their longevity. I don't want to buy from a mom and pop small fab shop that may be belly up in 3 years.

I welcome other suggestions then. Thank you
For a bolt gun, go titanium for sure. There are lots of them now in the same price point as the Omega. Personal favorite is the Diligent Defense Enticer Lti. The scythe is not louder than the omega. Videos will never be able to convey the sound properly.

Thank you
Reasons NOT to buy one? You only need one…

If says “SilencerCo” on it. 😂

If you want a “1 & done” .30 cal can, get a TBAC Magnus-HUB, and call it a day.

Also, “One and done” doesn’t work with suppressors… I initially bought 3 to “cover all my bases”… I’m currently up to 13 cans.

Here's my new Diligent Defense Enticer LTi next to my 8+ year old Omega. Both have very different point of uses. Omega feels and looks to be more durable. I've had the classic Omega baffle strike before. Have seen 2 guys at the range launch their Omegas too. For duty use Omega is my choice. The Enticer is purely for hunting since it's over 50% lighter. The Omega's Anchor brake works! It has less recoil on the same gun vs my Enticer, however Enticer is quieter.
The Omega is "old" but damn she's been good to me.
Thunderbeast released a very good test. Omega still good if you sort by "decibel at shooters ear" as a starting spot. https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/

View attachment 8424045
Had a buddy seconds from launching his 36M off a 300 Wim Mag last year. Had a coyote come out while hunting and he didn’t get a shot off the other two of us shot first. Noticed the can was mounted crooked when flipping the safety back on. Lucky

I have the DDC Enticer S TI, and I’m really liking it so far. Super light and very quiet. A bonus is that it uses the Dead Air end cap thread pitch.

I love Omegas for the money and SiCo’s customer service is top notch. The ASR mounts are cheap and plentiful here and very easy to time onto a barrel yourself. Easy to self service too.

There are better/newer cans but I’ve never had a single problem. She’s been rode hard and put up wet for over a decade.

Last edited:
Spife7980 - any tricks you like for separating the outer and inner sleeves? Not trying to hijack the OP but I pucker every time I stick my omegas in a vice to split them apart. Might inform the OP too.

Reactions: rookie7
A few people have mentioned that there are "better/newer" cans out there - @Xferbuckeye and others - besdies the Enticer and TBAC magnus, suggestions? Also, when you all are suggesting that a suppressor is "better" are the 2 main factors sound suppression and weight that drive that opinion? thanks

A few people have mentioned that there are "better/newer" cans out there - @Xferbuckeye and others - besdies the Enticer and TBAC magnus, suggestions? Also, when you all are suggesting that a suppressor is "better" are the 2 main factors sound suppression and weight that drive that opinion? thanks
I go by sound, barrel/round rating, muzzle attachments and then weight. If hunting primarily then weight would be more of a factor. Another big factor is return to zero when removed/reinstalled

…when you all are suggesting that a suppressor is "better" are the 2 main factors sound suppression and weight that drive that opinion? thanks

Another thing to consider is back pressure and how it affects your recoil. Some cans have more backpressure/the flow of gasses is more restricted. That can translate to quieter, but the recoil impulse is more pronounced. A can with less backpressure can be easier to see impacts/misses through your scope. It’s all a balancing act, and maybe not a big deal to you staying with .308 and smaller liked you’d mentioned in your OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: hic28
Better is in the eye of the beholder and guys will have specific uses for specific features. Low back pressure for a gas gun…Ti for a Bolt gun…short for duty…anyone that far down the wormhole probably has a few cans anyway.

Spife7980 - any tricks you like for separating the outer and inner sleeves? Not trying to hijack the OP but I pucker every time I stick my omegas in a vice to split them apart. Might inform the OP too.
I just have two soft pine blocks that I clamp it in the vice with, they crunch and conform around the can a bit. Then just the 419 wrench for that system and a 3lb sledge to break the rear cap loose from the carbon. Front cap is relatively easier to break free. Then the spanner to break the outer sleeve.

If I let it go too long and the rear cap is really tight I have a nail that I bent back on itself, put it into the can and with some pliers pull it back out and twist so it scrapes the built up insides loose.

I’ll try to get pics this weekend and clean it if I can remember.

Edit: @Xferbuckeye
Taking the rear cap off, just clamp it until it stops spinning in the blocks when you smack the wrench with the hammer. I’m not going to say that you can’t crunch a can like this but it’s held up well for me. You can hear the soft pine splintering before the metal gives.
image.jpg

Then I’ll flip it to take the front end cap off, hit it with the hammer if need be but it doesn’t build up like the rear and I put less torque on this end when reassembling.
image.jpg

Both end caps are righty tighty lefty loosey

I’ll then lay it in the side, clamping much less snugly and put the spanner on, same counter clock/lefty loose on this joint as well. If you clamp it too much here you squeeze the outer sleeve against the inner core and it makes removal that much tougher.
image.jpg

Leaves you with this
image.jpg

You can also take the front cap and outer sleeve off first and then beat on the rear cap and clamped inner core if you are worried about damaging the serial numbered sleeve.

I stick the stack in a tall whiskey glass and fill with clr, careful on not overfilling at first as it bubbles up, top it off after a bit
image.jpg

If I cant get the rear cap off because of too much build up I will let it soak to soften but I mount the can in the vice, insert the crooked nail and scrape it around knocking down the build up.
image.jpg

I dont rocksett when reassembling anymore, makes it that much tougher to take apart next time, Good reasonable torque and the carbon glues it together in a short time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xferbuckeye
I used Thunderbeast's Summit Report to determine what I wanted for another can. Priority was weight, cost, db reduction and availability. Overall size was NOT a factor. The Enticer LTi got my money. I sorted their data by dBA as a starting point. For ref the Omega with flat cap was only 1.1 db louder than my LTi which I was very surprised.
1716555821676.png

Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen series cans amongst the top performers in 3rd party testing with both the TBAC Silencer Summit they hosted earlier this year, and PEW Science. The numbers pretty much showed the same performance, with them being in the top 5 of their class in nearly every category. And their customer service is top-notch, as well.

I have 4 OCL cans, 4 TBAC, 4 Dead Air, and 1 Rugged. The Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 7.62, Dead Air Nomad-LT, and TBAC Magnus-HUB are all pretty much so close in performance, that your average person wouldn't be able to really tell a difference in DB volume. All of them have been excellent as far as POI shift and return to zero. I use Otter Creek ZR0-DTA direct-thread mounts on all of them.

Last edited:
Edit: changed title to Omega 300 not the Omega 30. Based on their website the Omega 300 is the only one available.

Thank you
I just got my Omega 300 this week. Honestly, if I had taken the time to read the limitations I would have chose a different can. I committed too fast without researching the barrel length limitations. I bought the Omega 300 specifically for my 18" 300 Win mag which is a no go. According the the Omega 300 limitations, 20" is the limit for magnum calibers. So, I would review the barrel length limitations for your application.

The Omega 300 is a multi-caliber suppressor, rated from .223 REM/5.56 NATO to .300 WM. This suppressor is warrantied for short barrels down to 7” .300 BLK,
10” 5.56 NATO,
16” 7.62 NATO,
20” barrels for magnum calibers.

Reactions: Mark Coffey
because otter creek labs exists.
they're good people with GREAT products at reasonable prices.
I do have an omega too, it's a decent can. a bit loud and honestly not great for a full auto / semi auto but it's not bad...

Reactions: rookie7
The Omega 300 is a multi-caliber suppressor, rated from .223 REM/5.56 NATO to .300 WM. This suppressor is warrantied for short barrels down to 7” .300 BLK,
10” 5.56 NATO,
16” 7.62 NATO,
20” barrels for magnum calibers.
***I am not encouraging anyone to exceed the factory published recommended limits on any can from any manufacturer.***

I have a 14.25" barreled .308Win. demo / loaner rifle that keeps an Omega 300 mounted to it. Gun/suppressor has >600 rounds on it so far with no ill effects. Gun and suppressor are performing wicked good.
1000005053.jpg

1000005054.jpg

I was on a pretty tight budget. Don’t have much money. Me and my wife just closed on our new house, and a suppressor purchase for me is a very once in a blue moon type thing.

I was looking at $500-$600 dollar cans just to stay under $1,000 bucks with tax, tax stamp, shipping, can cost. I was looking at a few options.

(1) Silencerco Omega 300 DTM
(2) Silencerco Harvester Evo
(3) OCL Polonium 30
(4) OCL Polonium 5.56
(5) OCL Polonium K 5.56

I ended up getting the OCL Polonium 5.56. I just ordered mine yesterday. I think the Polonium is probably the strongest and quietest for the money. So that’s what I got! Plus it seems like the company otter creek labs is really a great group of people. So my very first suppressor purchase had to be an OCL.

***I am not encouraging anyone to exceed the factory published recommended limits on any can from any manufacturer.***

I have a 14.25" barreled .308Win. demo / loaner rifle that keeps an Omega 300 mounted to it. Gun/suppressor has >600 rounds on it so far with no ill effects. Gun and suppressor are performing wicked good.
View attachment 8431682
View attachment 8431683
That is a badass looking rig!