• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Regular flashlight for weapons light

Hook Creek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Catskill Mountains, NY
Anyone ever do this? Had a extra 30mm scope ring laying around and put my coast 300 lumen light in it, then attached to the side of my ar. Light seems durable enough but we’ll find out when I test it soon as I get to the range. Just curious, did some research but come up dry on any experience in the matter.

Haven’t had any issues so far with a Surefire G2 mounted in a 30mm Burris scope ring mounted on my AR’s MOE forend/MOE picatinny rail.

LEDs are tough.
The problem with using lights not designed for weapons use is the battery. The battery if not isolated can act like a hammer on the electronics. Also the recoil can cause the battery to loose contact with the springs, either causing the light to turn off or change modes.
An easy fix is to add an o ring in front and behind of the battery to limit movement.
I have a few lights that are not designed as a weapons light and I've used them for years with no problems, but I did do the o ring trick.

coast lights are a good cheap light..run it and if it fails, just replace it.....i do the same thing on my rifles that i use to check for coyotes at night.

now, if you rely on your rifle for defense of your life(patrol rifle/ HD rifle)....get a light rated for rifle fire.....its cheap insurance to help ensure your light works when you need it.

Reactions: shoot4fun
So far so good! decent little light for the money will be investing in something made for it soon, just exercised the idea for now but it worked. Not bad

I used a Streamlight flashlight in a cheap scope ring in a pinch on one of my rifles. It worked really well & I had no issues.

It was meant to be a temporary fix as I had to add blue “Grip Original Shelf Liner” to suck up the extra room in the cheap ring. This stuff is the grippy perforated sheet that my wife puts in the drawer under the silverware tray. I tightened the ring tight enough to hold the light firmly in place until my new SUREFIRE light & mount arrived. I still use the other light in a Haley mount. FWIW, that Streamlight flashlight has been rocking for about 7 years now.

Last edited:
I’ve used several G2s in this capacity on different rifles. I’m sure it depends on the light but that one has never had an issue.