• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 308's

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
It's been a while since I started a thread and with the recent rash of phone calls I've been receiving I thought I might post this information for those that might need it.

The jest of phone calls is this, guy calls with a Remington 700 chambered in 308, SPS, PSS, VS etc. that just won’t shoot. He's tried everything and still, no love, no joy. Of course we cover scope rings, base, guard screws, magazine box binding, crowns etc. During the conversations I've found that there are two things the caller hasn’t tried with his ammo;

1-Factory FGMM or Hornaday Match in 175 SMK's or 178's

2-Lapua Brass, CCIBR2 Primers, 41.0 to 42.5 grains of H4895 and 175 SMK's loaded to 2.800"

All callers have been ready to either back over their rifle or send them in for a full re-build, no lie. They've all been at their wits ends. After sharing this info with all callers I've received follow up calls and or emails thanking me for saving them their money. To date, the callers have all had success with the above and avoided gunsmithing services. I certainly don’t mind taking the money and building a rifle but I do find a certain level of satisfaction knowing I've helped my fellow man save some of his hard earned cash.

The load I've listed above has worked in all 308's I've owned and shot, it flat out works. To most here, this info is of no use or is old news but, if you find your self in a slight bind and just need to verify the accuracy of your 308 use the 2 suggestions above. If they don’t work, call your favorite gunsmith, you're in need of his services.

Re: Remington 700 308's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So your sayin you want me to stop calling.... Why didn't you just say so </div></div>

Well........you know

Damn, and I was gonna call tomorrow!!

Good info from an honest man
wink.gif

great post man. at least your honest. alot of people now days would rape some people that wouldnt know any better. its nice to know we still have people that are honest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sps remytactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great post man. at least your honest. alot of people now days would rape some people that wouldnt know any better. its nice to know we still have people that are honest. </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. We've all been that guy at one time or another and needed a little help. These days are the best days to be a shooter in need of info, the WWW has been Heaven Sent. It's a great thing we have going on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't forget Varget! </div></div>

Thats the great thing about the 308, it shoots so many different loads it easy to find the love.

Second that. good to hear of honest business men. And speaking of, I live in louisiana myself and I was wondering about getting my gun trued and everything. Say Im able to hold .5moa or a lil less at 100yds(I know I put 2 rounds in about a .308" group, it was one hole but bullets were edge to edge so it was .308 or maybe a lil less) Those were my last 2 bullets so Idk if I will stay that consistent all the time. I had just bedded the gun and got it back on site. I now have custom loads ordered from dallas custom reloads. If I were able to hold between .25 and .5moa, would it really be beneficial to spend the money on having the action trued or would I not see much difference? btw this is a rem700p .308. only work i have done is lightened the trig and skim bedded the stock.

thanks for any help, if itd be worth it, you'd be the one I call since you are the closest to home and have good reviews

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can hold .25 MOA with a factory gun.
Keep it, and make bets with it, it would be a money maker </div></div>

Hey now dont start putting words in my mouth, I didnt say that it was consistent like that, Im dying to get my new bullets in to see exactly what I get. I got it on site dead center. I shot the next shot and they made one hole as stated above. Thats hardly saying I can do that consistently, but itd sure be nice.
smile.gif
I was shooting 168gr fgm. hopefully these custom loads perform even better and more consistent. I will definitely let yall know and definitely post pics if the results are really good.

I didn't mean to sound like that.
Chad at Dallas Custom Reloads is good at what he does, he'll get you fixed up.
When you get started shooting, give me a hollar, We'll meet up and shoot some steel. And I expect a range report, good or bad
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't mean to sound like that.
Chad at Dallas Custom Reloads is good at what he does, he'll get you fixed up.
When you get started shooting, give me a hollar, We'll meet up and shoot some steel. And I expect a range report, good or bad
wink.gif
</div></div>

You'll get one. where is rayville? you got a long range? I got one at my hunting camp that i lay prone on top of a dirt hill in the edge of the woods(to me it'd be a snipers dream hide, all natural too I just kinda discovered it and started hunting there) and can get out to 500 for sure probably even 6-700 if I went as far as I could but 500 was the farthest I felt safe shooting at the time. 600 is probably still safe too but past that, not too sure. I'm determined to get a kill at 500 this season

dang you a ways away from me, but I do have a friend at tech that I could stay with up there if you have the place to shoot and want to get together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TORQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag </div></div>
ditto. Or I'll have to call.

Holding .25moa and shooting .25moa are two differently things. There's a lot that goes into shooting .25moa or better that include much more than the shooter. From what I've seen, ammo is the number one problem area for consistent small groups followed by shooter consistency then rifle quality. Glass, magnification and the aiming points are the final parts of the equation. Shoot out your aiming point and the group gets bigger, too large of a cross hair and too much target gets blocked out, not enough magnification and the same POA is hard to duplicate.

Granted, I'm not talking about field or tactical accuracy, I'm talking about ringing out every last drop of available accuracy. You've spent the money on the equipment and ammo, why not squeeze it for all it's worth.

Got my 5R a couple months ago. I've yet to start reloading but have run Lapua match 155's, Hornady Match 168, Fed GMM 168 & Rem Match 168. Rem went in the .6's at 100 for five shots and the Fed went 1.2" at 200 for three shots. I'm outta Rem but would like to get a couple more boxes and see what it does at 200 and beyond.

Oh, and I'm no shooter either. Learn something more every time I pull the trigger. Seems these guns can flat out shoot.

Most guys I've spoke with at the match about their rounds that were successfully using stock 700 308s found happiness in the 175smk between 2580 and 2650fps then again many with the 155scenar between 2900 and 2950fps(hot load for me.) I have heard some it said that some have found no joy with the 155 and the 1:12 twist (non 5R guns), but only a couple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodlanddude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most guys I've spoke with at the match about their rounds that were successfully using stock 700 308s found happiness in the 175smk between 2580 and 2650fps then again many with the 155scenar between 2900 and 2950fps(hot load for me.) I have heard some it said that some have found no joy with the 155 and the 1:12 twist (non 5R guns), but only a couple. </div></div>

2,620 fps has been the best node for us as well. We've never run them through the chrono until were happy with the accuracy.

Great info I'm going to add this to my web site, I am always suggesting the same thing to shooters. Trying a box of good factory is always a good starting point, it will tell you alot about the potential of your rifle or lack of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5R is that a model number ? I can't find that on their website. Thanks </div></div>
its a remington pss r5 basically a stainless remington police with a different rate of twist and grooves