• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 DBM opinions from guys that put them in.....and use them.

Progress....that barrel is looking fat

uCmc9PCl.jpg

Feel bad for the stock maker in that I am not letting him finish it.

Ive been putting some thought into whether I want to use tung oil or linseed oil and I think I am in the tung camp right now.

Tung will not darken as much, should show the grain more. Better water resistance. If I work it right it should develope a gloss but not be an obnoxious (to me) heavy gloss.

Only thing Ill miss using tung oil is it stays stable in color, wont turn red over time.....now Im thinking linseed oil again....I love the red look.

Feel bad for the stock maker in that I am not letting him finish it.

Ive been putting some thought into whether I want to use tung oil or linseed oil and I think I am in the tung camp right now.

Tung will not darken as much, should show the grain more. Better water resistance. If I work it right it should develope a gloss but not be an obnoxious (to me) heavy gloss.

Only thing Ill miss using tung oil is it stays stable in color, wont turn red over time.....now Im thinking linseed oil again....I love the red look.
What happens if you start with BLO and then put Tung oil on later?
DW

Never BLO.....erase that from your lexicon.....pure linseed only.

Linseed can go dark fast.

On my .223 M40 it's pretty dark but get it in the sun it's red.

On my shotgun linseed stayed kind of mellow on the shoulder stock while the forearm which is dark anyway is darker. I expect it will change over the next year.

Linseed you won't know what you get for years.

My .308 M40 is tung only. It's been a medium tobacco brown since done. Also has a semi sheen to it.

You can change back and forth with the oils. If I was going to do that I think start with tung than go linseed. The tung may keep the linseed from darkening the wood to the full extent it could.

What’s left. Just the metal finish

I think Chad has been under the weather.

The guys working on it are waiting for his input in marking the rail, bolt handle, bottom metal and various specified parts per PWS specs.

Than I want some custom bling on my flush mag that Chads input on what I'm asking for will be appreciated.

The metal is getting mil-spec parkerizing depending on whether or not they do in house that could take some time.

What a long saga......cant believe how things have changed from the optimistic times of when it began to the craptastic times we find ourselves in now.

Reactions: Average guy

The guys working on it are waiting for his input in marking the rail, bolt handle, bottom metal and various specified parts per PWS specs.

Than I want some custom bling on my flush mag that Chads input on what I'm asking for will be appreciated.

The metal is getting mil-spec parkerizing depending on whether or not they do in house that could take some time.

What a long saga......cant believe how things have changed from the optimistic times of when it began to the craptastic times we find ourselves in now.
It will be a nice rifle when done. It’s amazing what a couple years can do. It’s definitely craptastic anymore.

Dang, I can't believe this isn't completed yet... looking back at this thread it's been well over 2 years since you sent it to LRI. I hope my TacOps build doesn't take this long!
Thanks for the update
DW

I donated a SS tank and parkerizing solution to that place circa 2015. They can parkerize that in about an hour.

I donated a SS tank and parkerizing solution to that place circa 2015. They can parkerize that in about an hour.

What color park was it - dark or light - asking for a fren.

I don't know if they still have any left but I had left the zinc style (lighter). No idea what they've got since then.

Reactions: pmclaine
Cant believe i haven't encountered this thread before. Looking forward to what the future holds for you sir👍 I have always had an affinity for “legacy” and this thread has fulfilled that for me. Loving the old and new combo @pmclaine 🤙

Any updates on this incredible build? Looking forward to seeing it finished and if you’re gonna post the custom engraving on the flush mag.

Just asked for an update yesterday.

Kalyb says he is on it.

We discussed mag plate. He may not be able to scale my first choice.

Any of the options I have would be fine though.

Be lying if I said I wasn’t impatient.

I’m even considering some bling…..I’m not a gold leaf guy, I like subdued, but that emblem may need to be seen in all its glory.

Reactions: Anb618
Timberluxe fo sho’, but Tru-oil will work.

Timberluxe will amber it a bit, but do a better job than tru-oil bringing out depth. Looking at that stock, I can already tell it will have beautiful, warm red and orange hues.

I’d love to rub oil on your wood…no homo.

You can work either finish to a high gloss or satin finish. Me, I’m a sucker for shiny shit so high gloss is always my choice, lol.

I’m even considering some bling…..I’m not a gold leaf guy, I like subdued, but that emblem may need to be seen in all its glory.
Send all that shit to Turnbull for Carbona blue. If you don’t do that, then I’d recommend Krylon.

Reactions: camocorvette
Send all that shit to Turnbull for Carbona blue. If you don’t do that, then I’d recommend Krylon.

Final finish my be the bridge too far.

I want parkerizing on the action/barrel/lug/scope base. Might have issues with size of park tank.

Also want mil spec anodizing on DBM and mag base depending on if it is aluminum or steel. LRI doesn’t anodize

Bolt will be hot blue with hope it’s loaded with nickel and plumbs.

May end up sending it to Gunblack for final finish….they did a fantastic job on my 870 shotty.

I’m hoping they can come up with some finishing services out there.

Hot blue - Bolt, indicator, shroud

Parkerize - Receiver, lug, barrel, scope mount, sling swivels, front pic rail (if steel).

Anodize Mil. Spec. Hard Type III - Bottom metal, front pic rail (if aluminum).

Last conversation seemed to indicate they probably could not finish it this way.

You might look into Glenrock Blue in Glenrock WY. They don’t anodize, but offer a whole suite of options. I’ve always heard good things about them.

Got a call from Gunblack yesterday to make sure finishes were as I wanted.

What a great company!

First thing was he wanted to make sure that what Isaw at the muzzle wasn’t a defect.

They use a wood towel to block the bore and it results in a slight star pattern where the rifling and dowel form a seal. On the breech they use a vented plug to prevent internal barrel pressure from blowing out the plugs.

Steve from Gunblack is a shooter and he takes his job/ working on guns seriously. He spoke at length about some nice vintage mil guns he owns and shoots in classic sling marksmanship matches.

Steve figured my gun will be done today and ready to ship back to LRI - amazing turnaround in a very busy business. LRI must have whispered sweet nothings in their ear.

Thinking I may see this rifle by Thanksgiving.