• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes reminiscing...First "Bad Ass" scope purchase...

Travis S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2004
marietta/macon, ga
Or so I thought at the time. Springfield Armory 3rd gen scope 4-14X56 w/ range finding/bdc reticle. Still have scope and rifle. I bought that scope around 2001 and was so proud of it. Thought it was so cool, plunked down a crap load of cash for it. It's cheesy but it worked pretty good. Seems like a freaking anchor now. It's big as hell and heavy. But it's going onto eBay land as I want some different glass for that rifle.That rifle is also my first heavy barrel rifle. Winchester heavy varmint 308 with Williams bottom metal, and some minor tweaks. Just thought I'd share my first...
DSCF1174.jpg

DSCF1175.jpg

DSCF1176.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

Re: reminiscing...First "Bad Ass" scope purchase...

That has a badass reticle. My first badass glass was an old vari-x 3 with some crappy aftermarket target knobs. It had target turrets so it was badass. Thats all I or my friends knew. Target knobs = badass

I had the very same scope on a really bad ass rifle about 15 years ago and I too was convinced that it was the top of the line shit. It was on a lefty AWC landlord if you can imagine that. I wonder if Ill be laughing at my 5-25Tpal in 15 years...probably not.

Who knows by then maybe everything will be automated. All you'd have to do is push a button, pull the trigger. Scopes will do all the holding over, wind corrections. Or counter sniper scopes will rule...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Or counter sniper scopes will rule...</div></div>
I have friend that loves everything weapons but has little understanding of what is good and durable. I was at his house when he starting pulling out these "bad-ass" scopes that he just bought. They were Counter-Sniper scopes. I tried not to laugh at him for getting these so I tried gently telling him to look through the optics and tell me if you think the reticle was canted...it was terribly.

I also had a Springfield Armory Scope on a M1A. I just sold it this year to another friend for his M1A. It still works nicely but it is a big beast.

I thought about putting mine on my M14S but it is just too heavy for my tastes. I'm not sure what scope I wanna put on it. The winnie is getting a Vortex Viper.

When I was shopping for my first longrange scope I was told "Buy a Nightforce" by some internet aquaintances on another board.
I started searching and at a gunshow a big dealer had Counter Sniper scopes on every display rifle he had.
I asked about Nightforce and he tried his best to sell me the CS swearing they were better and half the price.
I looked at a couple, was not very impressed, wanted to handle a NF before I laid out the cash and remembered "you get what you pay for". Glad I walked away.
I have since never returned or traded with the "Big Dealer"

Love the multi cam carpet lol