• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remmy 308 4 moa??????????

JWGILLAM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
asheville nc
I have a new 700 sps-v .308 first trip to the range was a lil discouraging. I changed out the pos plastic stock with a hogue over mould off a sps tac (not the best stock but I don't have copious amounts of money). egw 20moa base, burris xtr rings. a tru glo 6-24x scope(again not that great but works for the price). the damn gun shot 4 maybe 3 moa from 100yds at best. WTF???? my old 25-06 with the same kind of scope and a old wooden stock shoots submoa even on bad days. any suggestions. I was using super-x cheap ammo but still damn thats pretty bad. have made some hand loads not shot them yet. but would like some suggestions as to wtf is going on.

Re: remmy 308 4 moa??????????

Did you make sure everything was secure? ie rings base?
That does sound troubling because my SBE II will out shoot that.

Has that scope been used and verified good on another weapon? You might try a known-good scope.
Try some different ammo, just to be sure that is not the problem.
Pick up a box of Federal Gold Medal Match and see how that does.

The key to troubleshooting is eliminating variables. So far, you have only tried one rifle with one new scope and one type of ammo with two different stocks. You have many directions to go here.

checked all of it good and tight (previous lesson learned)

a few thoughts i had were:

the stock touches the barrel when on a bi pod but just barely.

brand new barrel with cheap ammo

maybe the scope doesn't like being adjusted down so far with the 20 moa base. I know they're not great scopes but have worked good for me in the past and are withing my disgustingly small budget.

nothing makes sense that would make it shoot that damn bad.

any thoughts??

i'm planning on swapping scopes with my other 700 to see. i get to go back to range tomorrow. but i only get to go about once a month so the more insight the better.

Cheap ammo could definately make it shoot that bad. My latest rem700 SPS tactical shot 2moa with flyers out to 4moa with winchester grey box.

Try some good ammo or some reloads. Give it a good cleaning.

Yup, and with only one range session a month......if you want find the solution you should take the ammo/tools/parts to be able to try as many combinations as possible while you are there. I would take 3-4 types of ammo.

Get a box of some premium match ammo and give it a try.

Like was said earlier, Cheap ammo just be the culpret.

What glass is on the gun?

do the dollar test and see if the barrel is floating?

Has it been zeroed?

How heavy of a trigger pull (been there)?

Ammo?

Is the patern random? Vertical or horizontal stringing?

gray box is what i was shooting to.. I loaded some 168 smks with the brass from the last visit. hopefully will do much better.
thanks for the input will post any improvement when i get back tomm.

barrel isn't perfectly free floating touches just at the end of the stock if on a bi pod. if not a dollar bill will go all the way to the action without resistance. the trigger is the remmy x-mark adjusted all the way down I think. not great but way better then the factory trigger on my 25-06 la made in the early 70's. and the pattern is pretty random. maybe going low right from the first shot.

Low right....Tip of your finger and breathing.
X-Mark......According to LL and Jacob my X-Mark was the "worst tirgger in the universe" It wandered upto a 10-12 pound pull.
Not floating......All bets are off.

Is your new stock gives a free floating barrel? You said that your rifle is a SPS- varmint contour right? If the answers are yes to both, then I know your problem. I have the same problem myself with the 243 win.

Also, you should try good match ammo, but I don't think it's going to improve much.

Assuming everything else is done properly when you change the stock, here is the problem. Apparently, the stock barrel is very flexible. Look at your manufacturer stock, you will see that the barrel is resting on the stock. In fact, there is a slight tension pushing upward such that there is no flexibility at all. When you remove that tension, the barrel flexes and change the harmonic frequency and causing the POI to vary. You can experiment this by applying a little shim at the tip of your barrel to see an improvement in the accuracy. It certainly did for me. However, I think that you have to shim the entire barrel to re-create that upward tension that the manufacturer stock creates. I am still working on restoring the accuracy of my rifle. The alternative option is to change to a different contour barrel. I am considering that if this last experiment doesn't work. Good luck.

What kind of "cheap ammo"? My sps v .308 shot sub MOA at 100 5shot groups nestled into an HSprecision stock with a broken - parallax adjustment on my scope with Win 150 gr Power point hunting ammo that was 2 different Lot #'s and 40 rds and all Sub MOA.

Something else is wrong or a combination of not floating, and screws torqued properly.

survey says probably the ammo. went to the range today, checked and retightened the action screws, adjusted the recoil lug so it sat in the hogue stock better. shot great all day with my 168 smk hand loads. all groups under 1" (5 shots at 100). alot happier with my rifle. still needs better glass, trigger, stock etc but all in due time as money permits, thanks for everyones input.