• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Removing bluing/protecting metal?

USMARINE1108

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2007
Beaufort SC
I built my wife a .243 on a Stevens action which is blued (or painted, I'm not sure). My wife wants the action to be bare metal to match the SS barrel. My question is, what is the best way to remove the bluing (or paint) and protect the metal? Just polish it and keep a light coat of oil on it?

Re: Removing bluing/protecting metal?

I found an easy way to do that is to soak it in vinigar. I did that to a couple of things and it worked out pretty good. I clean it just like you would normally and no rust.

Thanks guys, I ran across the trick with vinegar and was going to do that but decided to try a brass wheel first. The brass wheel worked great, it came right off. I do think it was paint but who knows. Ill leave a light coat of oil on it and see how it holds up.

You might try Duracoating the action clear to protect it from the elements. Then you won't be worried about it rusting

There are several colors of Cerakote that are very close to stainless and you'll never have to worry about rust again. It's so wet where I live I get them all done, stainless or blued.