• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Reticle question for the Optic Experts

oud272

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
Oregon
Does the adjustment of the ocular focus affect the accuracy of the reticle for ranging (on a FFP scope)?

I am long sighted and have to make a fairly large adjustment to the ocular to get the reticle in focus. I have often wondered if this adjustment makes a difference to the reticle subtension accuracy. Maybe a dumb question, but I have never been able to convince myself if it does or not.

Re: Reticle question for the Optic Experts

I have a feeling that you cant eyeball fractions of a Mil. down to the point that it would make a difference...even if there were a change in the demensions of the substensions from one end of the adjustment range to the other.

It wouldnt really matter anyway, as long as your turrets adjust with the same value that your reticle measures...Unless your spotting for someone and your reticle happened to be pretty goofed up.

Test it.... Range something at one end of the adjustment range....adjust....and re-range. My $ says you wont see a difference.

I was hoping that was the case but I'd like to know for sure as I have to make a large adjustment to get the reticle in focus.

I would like to check it that way, but...when I adjust it the other way the reticle is completely out of focus and I have no chance of ranging anything.

Have no fear, the ocular position will in no way alter the subtension of your reticle. It's only function is the adjustment of dioption.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oud272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have often wondered if this adjustment makes a difference to the reticle subtension accuracy. </div></div>

As pointed out it will/should not change,...
However I don't trust any glass to be all that (reticle, knobs, power shift, ect) until I've tested it for myself.