• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle die scoring brass

XLR308

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    My relatively new 6.5x47 Lapua die started scoring brass near the web upon disassembling the die and inspecting it there seems to be some brass in the die in a couple of places.
    I am guessing I have induced a couple of small carbon flakes into the die and it's picking up the softer brass and spearing it during sizing.
    This is the only die I have ever had this problem with and curious what the hide recommends to alleviate the issue.
    I'm thinking that running some strong copper solvent in the die then a light polish with green scotch bright or the 800 grit wet/dry sand paper will solve the issue just would like the input from the collective mind before proceeding.

Since I started decapping and putting the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner I haven't had any scoring when I size. I'm thinking it's because the dirt and most carbon is removed.

What steps do you take prior to sizing?

I have been working on it today,going back and forth between using Sweets 7.62 and green scotch bright.
    There were three spots that showed streaking brass but am now down to one and I assume is the original culprit.
    I will continue removing the brass until I can see a scar in the die or a small carbon flake that needs removed.

I have had the same thing happen to my dies. I took a wooden dowel and cut a slit in it and put the finest sandpaper in it I could find. Chucked that into my drill and polished the inside of my die. Made fast work of it.

Did something similar, got a chamber mop that fit tightly and put a good bit of polishing compound on it. Threw that in my drill and ran it up inside the die. Lesson learned to clean the brass off after running it in my cleaning media.

I had that once and a good friend 'fixed' it for me. I suspect he polished it out with some abrasive.

Since then, whenever I've had a die issue; I've simply replaced the die with a new one. Cheap enough, better to start fresh.

My reloading strategy is not about money; it's about getting it done, period.

Greg