• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle or Pistol

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
Picking up 2 new AR-15 lowers tomorrow. would like to build one as a long range rifle and the other as a 14.5" shortie. Do I just have my FFL call one a pistol and one a rifle or can I call them both pistols to be safe in the long run?
Thanks.
Barrel Nut

I believe that the dealer can record it as a "receiver" or "frame" on the 4473 form.

At what point then does it become a rifle or pistol. It was my understanding that once it becomes a rifle it must maintain that designation. Not sure about the other way though....If he declares it a reciever, can I then use it either way indefinitely?

Once a rifle always a rifle. So if you want a pistol build it that way. I'm not sure on converting back and forth like a encore or contender if thats allowed ?

If it is sold as a virgin receiver it can be built either way. It is sold as "other" and must meet the same requirements as buying a pistol, ie being 21, in state residence. It can be built either way. Once you attach a stock it is forever a rifle. If you first install a pistol ass end, it is a pistol until you put a stock on it, which you can do after your stamp comes back for an sbr and the lower is engraved. I'm working on a 12.5 pistol and will enjoy it for awhile as is and decide if I want to sbr it. I'll probably have a can waiting at the same time so they'll both be ready at the same time!

This topic was rehashed about a week ago and I learned something new (again)!

First let me say it is not correct to list a stripped lower as either rifle or pistol on a 4473. If the FFL knows what he's doing he won't do either. Up until one of the recent form revisions (2011, 2012...???) the correct listing for a stripped lower was "Other". You list it based on what it is when you take it home, not how you intend to use it. The 4473 has been revised and now has category "Receiver"; that is the correct listing for a stripped lower. You can then build it out however you want, however "once a rifle always a rifle" still applies. In other words you cannot build it as a rifle and later convert it to a pistol - that is a definite BATF no-no. You can however convert a pistol-built lower to a rifle whenever you want, as long as all other "rules" are followed i.e. Form 1 for an SBR.

Type (pistol, revolver, rifle,
shotgun, receiver, frame,
etc.) (See instructions for
question 29)

Last edited:
I have had two AR pistols - could not get the first one to shoot the way I wanted so I sold it. After a year of so I thought I would get another and try it again. The recoil makes getting back on target tough and it is difficult to steady the gun. I went with a SBR which works a lot better for me. So the second one got sold too.

OK. Good time for me to display my ignorance. ...I thought anything under 16" was a pistol.....what I really want may actually be a sbr. ..at what point does my receiver become either a pistol or sbr is there more paperwork once the build is complete? ..can I build a sbr myself?

Once you attach a stock it is a rifle. If the barrel is shorter then 16" with a stock it is a SBR. No stock barrel shorter then 16" is a pistol. The only AR style pistol I would ever want is a RRA LAR-PDS the pistol buffer tubes on a standard lower defeat the purpose of a pistol if you ask me.

Once you attach a stock it is a rifle. If the barrel is shorter then 16" with a stock it is a SBR. No stock barrel shorter then 16" is a pistol. The only AR style pistol I would ever want is a RRA LAR-PDS the pistol buffer tubes on a standard lower defeat the purpose of a pistol if you ask me.

The AR pistol allows us guys in states that don't allow rifles in vehicles a way to carry one with a cpl

But why would you want to? Your not a cop u don't need to get your AR out of your car to engage in a fire fight. I mean more power to you if that's what you want to carry but it has no practicle use in my opion.

Barrel Nut is a fellow TN resident we are allowed to carry a rifle in our car with a HCP but I would never want to.

Last edited:
Picking up 2 new AR-15 lowers tomorrow. would like to build one as a long range rifle and the other as a 14.5" shortie. Do I just have my FFL call one a pistol and one a rifle or can I call them both pistols to be safe in the long run?
Thanks.
Barrel Nut

Dros them as parts there should be a classification on the 4473 for that.

You live in Tennessee can't you just SBR one of them?

Our range is ten miles from the house in deer country. I like to shine deer on the way home but in Mi you can't have a rifle in the vehicle while shining. Problem solved I can run a AR15 and pistol doing drills and still enjoy my other hobby on the way home.
So there you go no fire fights no engaging the enemy just a way to deal with shitty Mi laws.

Our range is ten miles from the house in deer country. I like to shine deer on the way home but in Mi you can't have a rifle in the vehicle while shining. Problem solved I can run a AR15 and pistol doing drills and still enjoy my other hobby on the way home.
So there you go no fire fights no engaging the enemy just a way to deal with shitty Mi laws.

Fair enough I was a MI resident for 33yrs I didn't even bother getting a HCP till I moved here too much BS in MI as the laws vary by county and Macomb county held onto the board hearings to get a HCP which was a bunch of BS.
Just as a side thought I wonder what a DNR officer would think of you shining with an AR in the vehicle carry permit or not?

Fair enough I was a MI resident for 33yrs I didn't even bother getting a HCP till I moved here too much BS in MI as the laws vary by county and Macomb county held onto the board hearings to get a HCP which was a bunch of BS.
Just as a side thought I wonder what a DNR officer would think of you shining with an AR in the vehicle carry permit or not?

It really doesn't matter what they think being registered as a pistol. I have a ACR with a folding stock that is registered as a pistol but that is so far in the grey I don't chance it. I'm north of Lansing and the officers here are great I've talked to many out shooting chucks.