• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I finally got a chance to shoot my new Gen 3 6.5CM now that my scope arrived (vortex Viper PST 5-25-50 FFP Gen2) . I chronographed Hornady factory 140 gr ELD-M and several handloads. The factory box states 2710fps but i got an average of 2650. is this normal or does my chronograph lie? My best handload (so far) is 41.8gr H4350, Fed 210, with the 140 ELD-M @ 2675 <0.5 MOA
My Gen 2 was 2640 avg with 140 ELD Match ammo.

Reactions: Bender
9858C876-4319-4018-B602-B797AC6018D1.jpeg

Went out and shot this earlier. Just shot 3 velocity ladders into the berm. Was in a hurry and didn’t really care about targets anyway. Basically doing my own blend of Scott Saterlee 10 round load devopment and OCW w/o targets lol. Just the numbers. Looks like my load should fall within 43-43.3 of H4350. I’m .020 off the lands with 140 ELDm’s.

Also the above ^ was done with Lapua Brass and CCI 450 primers with no pressure signs or primer cratering. One of the 43.3 loads might have shown the slightest sign of cratering but it doesn’t really concern me with the SR primer and a non bushed firing pin.

Personal pref. I run right side on the buttstock and left side on the Handguard. But I’ve also done it the opposite. For me they need to be opposite because when in patrol Cary it allows for better control so the rifle isn’t flopping around, but it’s not like I’m doing this everyday. I don’t hunt with my RPR so really it’s just about looking cool and in the end that’s all that matters.

Nice! Thanks for info. What about the attachment to the handguard? Using picatinny rail or directly on handguard?

Does anyone know which buttstock is mounted on this RPR. Also do you know what other components would be necessary to install it?

69644605-858E-4F28-A9AB-32F3521EC6D4.jpeg

Reactions: Burnbio
View attachment 6895478
Went out and shot this earlier. Just shot 3 velocity ladders into the berm. Was in a hurry and didn’t really care about targets anyway. Basically doing my own blend of Scott Saterlee 10 round load devopment and OCW w/o targets lol. Just the numbers. Looks like my load should fall within 43-43.3 of H4350. I’m .020 off the lands with 140 ELDm’s.

How many rounds do you have down the tube? With 43.2 grains I’m running 2840 FPS on an aftermarket barrel. With factory my nose was 43.0 at 2835fps. Seems as though yours is running a little slower?

How many rounds do you have down the tube? With 43.2 grains I’m running 2840 FPS on an aftermarket barrel. With factory my nose was 43.0 at 2835fps. Seems as though yours is running a little slower?
Only 130 on this barrel. It is slower than I hoped. It shot factory 140 eld match lights out so it’s a shooter. I can live with it for now

Hey guys. Just so you know, I have this up on eBay for $49.99. Of course I will sell it to someone here first. I don’t know if there’s a market for this or even what it goes for, but if someone’s looking for a gen 1 RPR .308 handguard including FDE pic rail and handguard nut/bushings, I’ve got one.
83D65DCC-B165-4B5C-934F-E74AB1623D4A.jpeg

Just received 2 of 3 ordered RPRs in 6.5 Creedmoor!! Only 6 shots down the tube on each for break-in...no accuracy report as of yet. Still waiting on glass from a fellow member. As far as the Gen 3 goes....both rifles did not ship with the rail accessories. Quick phone call to Roger and they are on the way. Love the new rail, bolt, brake...a little disappointed in the machining marks slightly visible on the receiver but I’m not too picky. Looking at setting NF optics on each of these rifles, as well as the 3rd when it gets here!!

Reactions: trob_205
Getting ready to install the Seekins SP3R V3 handguard and need to know what the factory nut size is on the Gen II.
Thanks

Seekins makes a Ruger Precision specific SP3R. I would recommend going with that. Went right on my Gen 2 no problem.

Seekins makes a Ruger Precision specific SP3R. I would recommend going with that. Went right on my Gen 2 no problem.

I believe if you do this, you won’t have the infamous handguard gap in front of the barrel nut too like this one....

13061BF9-0696-42DC-B4C1-50CE025133C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: trob_205
So I tore mine down to the bones to finally clean out the Colorado dirt from shooting with @Lowlight and after I put it back together.....the safety doesn’t work. It won’t go back to safe. I use a seekins ambi safety and I also put the factory one back in and the same thing. Anyone see this before? Trigger still functions and I can move the safety with the lower off but when it’s assembled it doesn’t work.

^Thats really weird. Can you flip the rifle upside down and shine a light in there as you’re putting the lower on? Seems like there’s gotta be some sort of obstruction. Maybe where it’s meeting with the trigger assembly

Or maybe with the lower off, hold the safety and engage it to the trigger assembly (as it would be if it were assembled) and see if you can see anything that way?

Last edited:
^Thats really weird. Can you flip the rifle upside down and shine a light in there as you’re putting the lower on? Seems like there’s gotta be some sort of obstruction. Maybe where it’s meeting with the trigger assembly

Or maybe with the lower off, hold the safety and engage it to the trigger assembly (as it would be if it were assembled) and see if you can see anything that way?
Now I can’t even take the lower off. The safety won’t release from trigger group

^ That’s freakin weird. I’ve looked over my rifle and a parts diagram trying to figure something out, but I’ve never encountered that before, and don’t know enough about the trigger group on this rifle. You could try manipulating the trigger and safety while tugging on the lower to see if it releases, but I wouldn’t want anything to get worse either...

The two “faces” of the lower do come off. So if one was removed maybe you could see what’s going on in there, but I don’t know if you can get them off the way it is currently stuck on

22757053-B953-491F-A4D6-F8C298D00055.jpeg

Last edited:
I just purchased a Gen 3 RPR :)

I attached a scope from another rifle on it - Sightron SII 6X24 42mm objective. I cannot find a way to adjust the stock so I can comfortably look through the scope. Scope seems too low as I cannot lower the cheek any more. However, it’s this low on my other rifle which is on a Hunter Magpul stock and it’s perfect.

Suggestions please? Thank you.

Attachments

• AC399970-D7FF-4DB8-959B-E66701679DC9.jpeg
    AC399970-D7FF-4DB8-959B-E66701679DC9.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 83
  • B925A689-E296-45C7-896C-64152B6BE809.jpeg
    B925A689-E296-45C7-896C-64152B6BE809.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 77
Yeah. So I spent a few minutes looking things over and I figured it out. It’s the small details.

I had reassembled the bolt incorrectly, specifically the firing pin. So I stripped it down and actually reset the pin by taking the little tool out and then resetting it and reassembling. Safety works now but I haven’t tried taking the lower off. I’ll do that in the morning. But I’m confident it will slip right off.

One thing I do note however is that not all RPR’s have a safety spring. It’s not even shown in the parts diagram you posted. I define do not want to separate the lower halves though because I really don’t want to rebuild the magazine release system. It’s just one of those things. I wasn’t paying close enough attention to what I was doing.

I attached a scope from another rifle on it - Sightron SII 6X24 42mm objective. I cannot find a way to adjust the stock so I can comfortably look through the scope. Scope seems too low as I cannot lower the cheek any more. However, it’s this low on my other rifle which is on a Hunter Magpul stock and it’s perfect.

Get taller rings

Yeah. So I spent a few minutes looking things over and I figured it out. It’s the small details.

I had reassembled the bolt incorrectly, specifically the firing pin. So I stripped it down and actually reset the pin by taking the little tool out and then resetting it and reassembling. Safety works now but I haven’t tried taking the lower off. I’ll do that in the morning. But I’m confident it will slip right off.

One thing I do note however is that not all RPR’s have a safety spring. It’s not even shown in the parts diagram you posted. I define do not want to separate the lower halves though because I really don’t want to rebuild the magazine release system. It’s just one of those things. I wasn’t paying close enough attention to what I was doing.

When I changed my grip I thought it was weird too there’s no detent spring for the safety. Glad you figured it out!

Like tacticaldillhole said, get taller rings. Yes the newer handguard will allow you to use lower rings and clear the handguard. The stock being inline with the bolt/barrel, like an AR platform, to get comfortable you need ARish hight rings.

Nice! I’d put a one piece mount on there. Many of us are using one

Howdy all, newbie here, been lurking and learning for a while. Picked up a new gen2 308 from Cabela's, couldn't get the keymod pic rail to fit the hand guard. The QD sling mount fits fine. The pic rail isn't machined right on the bottom where the nuts fit. The instruction book shows how to install it, but it shows to put the nuts in backwards from how the keymod drawings I found online show. I called Ruger, they sent me a replacement rail, but it's the same as the first one. The person I talked to at Ruger said that they were not aware of any problems. I couldn't find any mention of this looking at all 35 pages of this thread. I can't be the only one that has run into this issue. Anyone out there ever see this? I milled the slots in the bottom side of the rail so the nuts would slide far enough, now it fits fine. Is this why the gen3 went to m lock?

Reactions: Burnbio
^ Nice! I have my gen 1 in .308 as well. Soooooo many people have issues with their rail. I remember it was a bitch for me as well. I eventually got it, but I didn’t have the same handguard as you. The Paper City one is mlok and I have to say I like mlok a lot more. It’s quicker, easier and seems tighter. JMO

Howdy all, newbie here, been lurking and learning for a while. Picked up a new gen2 308 from Cabela's, couldn't get the keymod pic rail to fit the hand guard. The QD sling mount fits fine. The pic rail isn't machined right on the bottom where the nuts fit. The instruction book shows how to install it, but it shows to put the nuts in backwards from how the keymod drawings I found online show. I called Ruger, they sent me a replacement rail, but it's the same as the first one. The person I talked to at Ruger said that they were not aware of any problems. I couldn't find any mention of this looking at all 35 pages of this thread. I can't be the only one that has run into this issue. Anyone out there ever see this? I milled the slots in the bottom side of the rail so the nuts would slide far enough, now it fits fine. Is this why the gen3 went to m lock?
Weird. I never used the factory rail and used a alum BCM keymod rail chunk I had rolling around and slid right in. I’ll check the factory one and see if it fits tighter.

***factory rail did fit tighter on factory handguard and Seekins keymod, but still went on fine eventually***

Last edited:
Maybe it's just this batch of rails, I asked the person at Ruger customer service if they made them in house or got them from a vendor, but she didn't know.

I finally got a chance to shoot my new Gen 3 6.5CM now that my scope arrived (vortex Viper PST 5-25-50 FFP Gen2) . I chronographed Hornady factory 140 gr ELD-M and several handloads. The factory box states 2710fps but i got an average of 2650. is this normal or does my chronograph lie? My best handload (so far) is 41.8gr H4350, Fed 210, with the 140 ELD-M @ 2675 <0.5 MOA
In my experience, the factory loads almost always state a higher velocity. Probably shot out of a longer barrel to get optimal numbers for the label.

Anyone not receive their rail accessories kit with their new rifle? Neither the rail section or the QD sling mount came in with it!

Nice! Love mine so far...these are definitely nice setups for entry level, factory rifles.

Ive got one in 308 that shoots good with my load.. all stock. Theres a couple rds that look like fliers, but they are from another shooter. Measured that top group out to out! The factory trigger aint bad...

Attachments

• 71F58298-0373-42C5-8636-968E66172BC9.jpeg
    71F58298-0373-42C5-8636-968E66172BC9.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 3152FDE3-58FC-463C-8AD6-BC10A9DF5792.jpeg
    3152FDE3-58FC-463C-8AD6-BC10A9DF5792.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 85
Ive got one in 308 that shoots good with my load.. all stock. Theres a couple rds that look like fliers, but they are from another shooter. Measured that top group out to out! The factory trigger aint bad...

Very nice group! Had similar 1/2 MOA results with a Hornady factory ammo this evening. New Gen 3 barrel doesn’t seem to be fouling with copper after the first 10 shots down the tube. Just need a good scope now!!

Reactions: LR184
Anybody using Tenebraex scope caps? Looking for some quality caps and these are one of my picks but wanted to hear some thoughts from personal use...
Tenebraex are fantastic caps. I like how they can freely rotate, especially if you have a focus ring on the back of your scope eyepiece, You can adjust the eyepiece cap independent of the focus ring

Reactions: CV_Ag
So you guys know, there is another barrel option out there. Kreiger is now making rpr drop in barrels. They are amazing. But the other option is what I just had done. I have the first gen 2 with a direct mount barrel like a Remington 700. Kreiger tossed the barrel nut and lapped the lugs. They said the less parts that can move the better. Even tho the group shown is from a Seb rest, I think it shoots pretty good with factory ammo

Attachments

• B337F0F4-BE34-4F58-A37C-DB97DD3BE5E2.jpeg
    B337F0F4-BE34-4F58-A37C-DB97DD3BE5E2.jpeg
    685.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 5E51DCF1-2534-4A43-9CAE-7E2C174D8387.jpeg
    5E51DCF1-2534-4A43-9CAE-7E2C174D8387.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 144
I managed to get out on Saturday and put about 70 rounds down range with my Gen II in 308. The first 50 were some light hand loads that I made up 3 or so years ago for a rifle I no longer own. They were 148 grain BTHP. I used them for bore sighting and the the rest just to do initial barrel break-in at the 50-yard mark. Then I opened up a little to 100 yards, and shot 20 rounds of PPU Match, 168gr ammo. What a smooth shooting rifle.

I also had an issue getting on the cheek rest due to the medium height rings (kept knocking my ear muffs off), but a position that worked pretty good.

the glass is the SWFA SS3-15X42 FFP that I picked up from the recent "Tax Day" sale at SWFA. Excellent glass, loved the function and clarity.

Attachments

• 20180421_114543.jpg
    20180421_114543.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20180421_125709.jpg
    20180421_125709.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 78