• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Just bought this in 300 PRC and looking at upgrades. I've already ordered a fluted titanium shroud and going to get the magpul prs stock but as far as grip and replacement of the firing mode selector I'm stuck. I don't like how the selector feels against my thumb so want an option, saw the seekins on Anarchy Outdoors and want to make sure this works with it.

Also anyone have a suggestion for a rifle grip that has a decent thumb rest for a right handed shooter? Thanks for the input folks!

Attachments

• 99969.jpeg
    99969.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Reactions: DWCustom
Shoot it first and get used to it, then slowly incorporate parts you’ll need IMO.

Reactions: DRAGON64
Just bought this in 300 PRC and looking at upgrades. I've already ordered a fluted titanium shroud and going to get the magpul prs stock but as far as grip and replacement of the firing mode selector I'm stuck. I don't like how the selector feels against my thumb so want an option, saw the seekins on Anarchy Outdoors and want to make sure this works with it.

Also anyone have a suggestion for a rifle grip that has a decent thumb rest for a right handed shooter? Thanks for the input folks!

I put the MPA-EVG from Anarchy Outdoors on my RPR. When I first got it I wasn't sure I was going to like it as the grip felt so much larger the the factory grip. But it really did help with my shooting consistency and I've gotten used to it to where I now love it.

HANDLE4__42410.1515620250__19220.1561741905.jpg

Reactions: Hardpan

Anarchy Outdoors also makes a straight grip for the RPR called the Penguin. If you have larger hands they make a larger version called the Emperor. Both have a thumb rest.

Rpr 6 creed an rprr 22lr I gotta be different then everyone else on colors lol

Attachments

• 20200517_192645.jpg
    20200517_192645.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 20200526_185634.jpg
    20200526_185634.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 131

I am looking at getting into long range shooting and have been looking real hard at getting this in 300 PRC. Have you had a chance to shoot it?
I’ve been having trouble finding a variety of factory ammo. I know it’s a “newer” cartridge but I figured they would have variety out by now.

Save for a true match grade barrel. The factory rpr magnum barrels aren't the best. Mine certainly wasn't. The kreiger replacement I installed is a shooter.

I believe that further back in this thread is information about a new more durable hardened cocking cam offered by Anarchy Outdoors that is suppose to make it smoother.

That's what I heard and some of the reviews suggested that too. So I bought one from Anarchy Outdoors and installed it. Well . . . it really didn't improve bolt lift in any way for me. I reinstalled the original making a point to see if I could detect a difference. There was none.

Reactions: Hardpan
That's what I heard and some of the reviews suggested that too. So I bought one from Anarchy Outdoors and installed it. Well . . . it really didn't improve bolt lift in any way for me. I reinstalled the original making a point to see if I could detect a difference. There was none.
It’s piece of mind knowing it’s billet machined instead of the stamped aluminum piece from ruger that’s been known to fail.

It’s piece of mind knowing it’s billet machined instead of the stamped aluminum piece from ruger that’s been known to fail.

Yes . . . it's a well made cocking piece. (y)

But one shouldn't count on it reducing bolt lift, as it may as reported by some or not like in my case. :oops:

Last edited:
Is the bolt lift hard after a dry fire with an empty chamber?
I retract that question, I just went back and read that the OP was talking about bolt closure.

I've never had a issue with bolt closure as it's always been good with my RPR, and I didn't notice any change there either (probably because I just didn't have issue with that).

I put a light coat of grease on that cocking piece (Anarchy Outdoors / AD Arms variety) where it runs in the bolt and I found it was lighter in bolt manipulation feel vs the stock one also lubed.

I only mention this in case people are running them dry.. I think stock or AM they need a little lube.

I put a light coat of grease on that cocking piece (Anarchy Outdoors / AD Arms variety) where it runs in the bolt and I found it was lighter in bolt manipulation feel vs the stock one also lubed.

I only mention this in case people are running them dry.. I think stock or AM they need a little lube.

In my case, I do run my bolt dry (except or the lug's contact points).

Does anyone know where to buy a bolt (aftermarket, used or new OEM) for RPR? I am wanting to purchase a 6.5 PRC bolt to put in my 6.5 CM when I change barrels in the near future.

I have an RPR in 6.5 CM. Bought it to shoot out long-distance steel. I got it out to 1500 before the 6.5 CM dropped too much for my scope. I'm getting toward the end of the projected barrel life and would like to switch up to 6.5 PRC for a little more distance. Should just be a bolt and barrel change, however, Ruger told me they won't just sell the bolt.

Does anyone know where to buy a bolt (aftermarket, used or new OEM) for RPR? I am wanting to purchase a 6.5 PRC bolt to put in my 6.5 CM when I change barrels in the near future.

I have an RPR in 6.5 CM. Bought it to shoot out long-distance steel. I got it out to 1500 before the 6.5 CM dropped too much for my scope. I'm getting toward the end of the projected barrel life and would like to switch up to 6.5 PRC for a little more distance. Should just be a bolt and barrel change, however, Ruger told me they won't just sell the bolt.
I'm not sure you can shoot the PRC out if the standard RPR. You may need the magnum one with a beefier action

I'm not sure you can shoot the PRC out if the standard RPR. You may need the magnum one with a beefier action
From what I can tell the 6.5 PRC is the short action same as 6.5 CM. I know you can build a 6.5 PRC in a standard SA Remington 700 action. Maybe not with the RPR? I just wouldn't think it made financial sense to have a third action size just for the 6.5 PRC and from what I can see the 6.5 PRC is on the short action.

From what I can tell the 6.5 PRC is the short action same as 6.5 CM. I know you can build a 6.5 PRC in a standard SA Remington 700 action. Maybe not with the RPR? I just wouldn't think it made financial sense to have a third action size just for the 6.5 PRC and from what I can see the 6.5 PRC is on the short action.
Yeah I’m just thinking because it’s a different bolt face size it won’t fit 🤷‍♂️

Has anyone shooting the RPR in 300WM found a particular bullet or grain weight that it prefers. I have a number of different bullets ranging from 175grs to 225grs to try, but my oppotunities for actual trigger time are very limited. I hope to eventually try all that I have, but for the time being, was just wondering if it shows a preference.

Has anyone shooting the RPR in 300WM found a particular bullet or grain weight that it prefers. I have a number of different bullets ranging from 175grs to 225grs to try, but my oppotunities for actual trigger time are very limited. I hope to eventually try all that I have, but for the time being, was just wondering if it shows a preference.
Mine really loves the 208gr ELDMs at 2900 fps. Just bought some 220gr SMKs to play with and see if I can develop a good load.

I don't believe this will work. I think the 6.5 PRC would require the magnum action.
Why do you think that is the case? It may be the case, idk. Ruger just told me they won't sell just an action or bolt, or even a barrel. Liability and engineering etc. I don't think any of the major manufacturers would do it, hence why I was asking here...

However, 6.5 PRC was designed to fit in a normal short action with a magnum bolt face. When I bought my Curtiss Custom, I purchased a short action and both a 308 and magnum bolt so I could shoot either round with one action. If Ruger's action won't fit a magnum bolt, It is hard to believe from a financial/tooling standpoint that they would design a short-action magnum action for this one caliber or are they making it on the long/magnum action?

What magazines is everyone having best luck with in their 6.5 CM RPRs? My Magpul AICS pattern arent working well for me. I have the AR10 pmags and they work pretty good but I was looking for some metal mags.

What magazines is everyone having best luck with in their 6.5 CM RPRs? My Magpul AICS pattern arent working well for me. I have the AR10 pmags and they work pretty good but I was looking for some metal mags.
My son (age 16) who shoots the RPR (6.5CM) finds the metal AI magazines stiff/difficult in insert and extract, so prefers the standard plastic magazines. Although, we have just bought a single load sled (metal), which fits perfectly.

Why do you think that is the case? It may be the case, idk. Ruger just told me they won't sell just an action or bolt, or even a barrel. Liability and engineering etc. I don't think any of the major manufacturers would do it, hence why I was asking here...

However, 6.5 PRC was designed to fit in a normal short action with a magnum bolt face. When I bought my Curtiss Custom, I purchased a short action and both a 308 and magnum bolt so I could shoot either round with one action. If Ruger's action won't fit a magnum bolt, It is hard to believe from a financial/tooling standpoint that they would design a short-action magnum action for this one caliber or are they making it on the long/magnum action?
I just realized I was mistaken in what I posted. In my mind I was thinking the 300 PRC. Derp.

Curious everyone's thoughts. My 6.5 RPR shoots best with a few rounds down the tube. Not a clean bore but my groups shrink significantly with a warm barrel. I'm talking maybe MOA first 10 shot group down to .5 MOA after shooting 20 or so rounds. Why is this?
This is pretty interesting as I have the exact same experience with my Gen 2.

RPR trigger...I’ve been looking at and researching 2 stage triggers. My initial thought is I don’t think I would like them. But as I was shooting my RPR I realized that maybe I’m using the trigger safety take up to preload my finger on the trigger like I’ve heard people describe a two stage trigger. Anyone have experience with RPR trigger and a two stage trigger? Is a two stage anything like what I am doing with the RPR stock trigger?

Last edited:
This is pretty interesting as I have the exact same experience with my Gen 2.
Mine is also a Gen 2. I thought it may just be cold shooter so the last while I have been taking multiple guns to the range and shooting the RPR last. Still noticing a slight drop in groups after 20 or so rounds. Maybe its just me getting warmed up to the gun itself. It is my only "chassis" rifle so it is the most different of them all.

Hi everyone... First post: new to SH. I have a gen 1 RPR in 6.5CM. I just purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 scope as an upgrade and mounted it using the ARPEPR +20 moa cantilever mount. I am touching the handguard if I set the scope to my preferred eye relief. I have been looking for a lower profile handguard to resolve the issue. I ordered a paper city rpr handguard that appears to be on back order. Wondering if anyone has been down this road. I have seen a few guards that will work but I'm also not trying to spend $250+ to simply shave a half inch off the top of my existing guard.

I have a paper city handguard it is nice but you cant lower much more than the stock hand guard because of not being able to get a proper cheek weld

Reactions: bcrich
I have a paper city handguard it is nice but you cant lower much more than the stock hand guard because of not being able to get a proper cheek weld
I am where I want to be in the cheek weld... This scope has a 56mm bell so it’s just touching slightly... with the +20 MOA on the mount I can’t get the sun shade on the scope either which isn’t a huge deal but it would be nice.

RPR trigger...I’ve been looking at and researching 2 stage triggers. My initial thought is I don’t think I would like them. But as I was shooting my RPR I realized that maybe I’m using the trigger safety take up to preload my finger on the trigger like I’ve heard people describe a two stage trigger. Anyone have experience with RPR trigger and a two stage trigger? Is a two stage anything like what I am doing with the RPR stock trigger?

In short, yes. I am a big fan of 2 stage triggers because they let you settle up and take up the first stage and sit on the second stage wall... when your ready to let one fly, it's like pulling a single stage trigger from that point but you already have your finger married to the trigger nicely. Not saying you can't do this with a single stage since that what's in my t1x.. but I think the 2 stage is easier.

Reactions: dfiant
In short, yes. I am a big fan of 2 stage triggers because they let you settle up and take up the first stage and sit on the second stage wall... when your ready to let one fly, it's like pulling a single stage trigger from that point but you already have your finger married to the trigger nicely. Not saying you can't do this with a single stage since that what's in my t1x.. but I think the 2 stage is easier.

As I was shooting the other day, I was really focusing on trigger pull and I noticed that I really liked the fact that I could really get my finger situated before actually pulling the trigger.

I think it may help me slow down and focus on the trigger pull as well.

Going to have to get a two-stage for my custom build.

Last edited:
I am where I want to be in the cheek weld... This scope has a 56mm bell so it’s just touching slightly... with the +20 MOA on the mount I can’t get the sun shade on the scope either which isn’t a huge deal but it would be nice.
I thought the rail already had 20 MOA already in it, do you need the additional 20 MOA?

I thought the rail already had 20 MOA already in it, do you need the additional 20 MOA?
If that’s the case then yes. So if his rail and mount are both 20 MOA he now has a 40 MOA slant. Replacing the mount with a 0 MOA one may fix his problem.

If that’s the case then yes. So if his rail and mount are both 20 MOA he now has a 40 MOA slant. Replacing the mount with a 0 MOA one may fix his problem.
I hadn’t considered the 20 MOA on the rail when I chose that mount. That’s definitely a factor. The new handguard shipped so between that and the mount I should be able to dial it in. Thanks everyone!

For those of you shooting the factory pipe with factory loads what kind of longevity did you get b/f you noticed a big velo drop off?

For those of you shooting the factory pipe with factory loads what kind of longevity did you get b/f you noticed a big velo drop off?

Since I don't have data to answer the question directly, let me offer this info that might be of some help . . .

First, the answer is going to be different from one caliber to another and the same for just which factory loads one is using (all factory loads are not the same, as some can be hotter than others, which will reduce longevity).

In my .308, I had just over 3700 rounds through the factory pipe when I decided to switch it out for a Krieger barrel. There was still plenty of life left in that barrel and was getting consistent .5 MOA with my hand loads. The lands had moved ~ .030; looking at it with a bore scope I could see plenty of firecracking in the 1st 3 inches in front of the chamber. There was no apparent drop in velocity with my hand loads as I made adjustments to the load to keep in the barrel's accuracy node.

Given the .030 movement of the lands after 3700 rounds and extrapolating that to the use of the Federal GMM 168 SMK's and 175 SMK's, I would have seen about 15 fps, or so, slower velocities. I wouldn't call that a "big" drop off. And I suppose if I put 7400 rounds though it for another .030 movement and a similar reduction, 30 fps could be considered "big" . . . I guess??? 🤷‍♂️

Now if one is talking about a 6.5 CM, that'd be a whole different story. ;) 😵

I guess I’ll bring this thread back to life. Am getting a proof research barrel (steel) delivered tomorrow I have had a now discounted gen 2 5.56 RPR for a while and decided to upgrade the barrel, not that there was anything wrong with the factory barrel it actually shot very well but I just wanted to see how I could improve performance. This rifle started as a “trainer” but now its just a lot of fun to shoot.

I removed the factory barrel last night. I read many horror stories online about people having a hard time removing factory barrel off RPRs but mine was super easy ( maybe 5.56 barrels aren’t as tight as others) but basically just put the barrel on a viper barrel vice and just used a magpul A wrench and with one tap of a 4lb hammer the nut came loose instantly.

Am pretty excited to see what kind of improvement I can get with the new barrel, being a .223 wylde and from everything I have read it’ll probably last forever.

Reactions: Matagorda308

I run the ARC 10 round magazines. They are basically an AICS top end with shorter feed lips and a double stack bottom end. They feed my Berger 130 AR Hybrids exceptionally smooth and reliably. They drop free without me having to lift my stock off the rear bag, too.

Reactions: flyfisher117
I run the ARC 10 round magazines. They are basically an AICS top end with shorter feed lips and a double stack bottom end. They feed my Berger 130 AR Hybrids exceptionally smooth and reliably. They drop free without me having to lift my stock off the rear bag, too.

I'll check those out. I was looking at the MDT but got lost in the search to find out if I would need the stiffener plate they offer in their mags.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have decided on purchasing an RPR and am pretty set on going the 300PRC route but also kicking around the idea of going 338. I haven’t had luck finding any of these rifles in stock near me (Denver area). Upon looking online it seems almost everywhere is out of stock. Does anyone know why this seems to be the case? Any insight on when this may change and these will become more available?

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have decided on purchasing an RPR and am pretty set on going the 300PRC route but also kicking around the idea of going 338. I haven’t had luck finding any of these rifles in stock near me (Denver area). Upon looking online it seems almost everywhere is out of stock. Does anyone know why this seems to be the case? Any insight on when this may change and these will become more available?

I just picked up my RPR in .300PRC from the dealer this morning. Ordered it from grabagun. Their prices seem competitive and have had good experiences with them in the past.

EDIT. Nevermind, I just checked their site and it looks like it's out of stock now. I'd only just ordered it last Friday. Guess I got lucky.

Took the new .300PRC out to a 100yd range today to sight it in. I was suprised by the lack of recoil. It has maybe a quarter or half the recoil my AR-10 does. Also, I love the stock trigger on it. From a trigger perspective, my only comparison for is my Aero Precision AR-10 with factory trigger, but I was really pleased with the trigger on the RPR. I saved the targets and can post them if anyone is interested, but just based on eyeballing it I'd say I'm getting .4 MOA maybe slightly better.