• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

Lowlight,
How easy is it to use this to get angle compensated distance? Does it default to this, or do you have to go thru a menu?
I am looking forward to trying one.

I would not use angle compensation, this screws up software

it's just a secondary button push,

You want the straight line distance for software and not the corrected range and then you want the actual angle, but using the compensated distance it messes up software

Considering the price of the X is about $1000 more than the Leica 2700b, would anyone say it's a better unit i.e. does it range better to justify the extra dollars?

I would not use angle compensation, this screws up software

it's just a secondary button push,

You want the straight line distance for software and not the corrected range and then you want the actual angle, but using the compensated distance it messes up software
+10

Lowlight,
How easy is it to use this to get angle compensated distance? Does it default to this, or do you have to go thru a menu?
I am looking forward to trying one.

Single press: Distance
single press right after measurement result is shown: angle compensated distance
another press fast: angle
another press fast: compass direction

Based on my quick test, Kestrel 5700 AB compensates uphill-downhill correctly to ballistic solution, second or so after TerrapinX has measured distance. Target direction is sent automatically to Kestrel too, so wind correction/angle is calculated too.

Reactions: nfoley and mpk1996
35475064_10156453753807953_5421757721361776640_n.jpg

Sorry if it was covered - does this unit show the ballistics in the unit as well? And does it have NV mode?

Sorry if it was covered - does this unit show the ballistics in the unit as well? And does it have NV mode?
yes to 1 and i doubt it has NV mode since this is a commercial product, but you can probably adjust brightness to a low level.

One or the other, does not currently connect to both

But the latest firmware update added multi-target ranging to load the Kestrel, A, B, C, etc,
very cool. so, from your experince, is the single button a hindrance to good functionality or would this unit be better served with multiple buttons? i feel like trying to count clicks is a PITA, but ive never used it so i have no basis for my opinion.

I have found twice now the single button has loaded negative info into the Kestrel, if you are not careful, I have added -65 degrees to the inclination. Seem if the range is up and highlighted and you hit the button again it can include bad information and the second time it was a bit more to remove it.

Not as big a fan of the single button, but you really only use it twice, once to set the unit of measure (x6) and then to link the Kestrel / App, however you can do a lot in the App to avoid the need to use the button that way.

The other taps are for scrolling through the EHR and Angle, which whatever, not really a big deal as a single tap on the range does everything you need. Its the extra taps that appear to be an issue if you are not careful.

The entire match I used it, it happened once and then in AK it happened once again, there I had to go through the system to clear it out as it keeps adding in the -65 degrees to the Kestrel. The App now will allow you to change the settings and pick and choose much better.

The App is very good, the included update to the Firmware was equally a step in the right direction. So they get it.

Reactions: _Windrider_
I have found twice now the single button has loaded negative info into the Kestrel, if you are not careful, I have added -65 degrees to the inclination. Seem if the range is up and highlighted and you hit the button again it can include bad information and the second time it was a bit more to remove it.

Not as big a fan of the single button, but you really only use it twice, once to set the unit of measure (x6) and then to link the Kestrel / App, however you can do a lot in the App to avoid the need to use the button that way.

The other taps are for scrolling through the EHR and Angle, which whatever, not really a big deal as a single tap on the range does everything you need. Its the extra taps that appear to be an issue if you are not careful.

The entire match I used it, it happened once and then in AK it happened once again, there I had to go through the system to clear it out as it keeps adding in the -65 degrees to the Kestrel. The App now will allow you to change the settings and pick and choose much better.

The App is very good, the included update to the Firmware was equally a step in the right direction. So they get it.
Last question, does the app give you your firing solution?

No, the App is not ballistic software, it gives you the range, you can make cards to share the range and manage the device, but not your rifle.

Down the road they are working to include the solution from your Kestrel into the display on the Terrapin, but the App is not Ballistic Software, whether they add it I cannot say, all I can say is they are definitely on an upgrade path.

Fun Note, according to the App and my Firmware Update Details, I have Serial Number 00002 in my possession

they want to be a solution for all and not force you to choose a specific Ballistic App or Software, the more they can connect too the better

I can't wait to see some scientific testing of this vs some of the other stuff.

Maybe a 2700B, Kilo 2400, Terrapin original, New Terrapin, Nikon 4k, Steiner Binos.

I have tested it alongside the Sig AB2400, The Kilo 2000, and the Original Terrapin,

The New Terrapin X was able to range targets the Sig could not hit, the Original Terrapin is a touch better, but discontinued in every way, the others are 1/4 the price and just barely reach 1k in bright sunlight.

Fuck, I even got Vectronix to replace an original broken Terrapin for a SH member at the Cup, they are giving him an X because they will not fix the Original.

The only current competition to work is the AB2400, it's on par, but the larger aiming reticle is the issue with aiming and hitting stuff

I put Philips from Vectronix on a stage at my Match, farthest Target through the Trees was 1329, most hit 750 because that is where the trees were, I also had a target 450 through trees at 200, I asked a bunch of people whether the could it hit it, the answer was NO for most, I hit them no problem

I get it you think I have a bias problem and want "Scientific" Testing what fucking joke, what Scientist do you speak of that would satisfy your angst on the subject

My range goes to 1 Mile from the line and I can back up to 2600 with no effort, I used a tripod for every unit and ranged an 18x24 target at a mile, I know what unit can range it in CO Sunlight and which ones cannot. Your: "I don't get it, I want another opinion is noted"

Reactions: M338
Ranged it in the Rain, 1000 yards +

IMG_20180601_143032.jpg

No target on my Range is bigger than an IPSC

IMG_20180528_140937_713.jpg

Compare it side by side
IMG_20180526_093510_982.jpg

Practical Real-World Ranging under Field Conditions

IMG_20180601_143412.jpg

PS Peter from Sig was in my Squad, he used his AB2400 alongside me the entire match

IMG_20180602_203044_053.jpg

So here I had both Sig and Vectronix on site at the Sniper's Hide team challenge

Every single stage is, Find it, Range it, Engage it, no match booklets with ranges given to you anywhere

Reactions: Terry Cross
More along the lines of how much I like the AB style laser rangefinder testing that was done in their latest book, not so much that I don't feel your input is trustworthy, Frank.

Its my engineering background that drives me towards paperwork and charts type data sets.

I have tested it alongside the Sig AB2400, The Kilo 2000, and the Original Terrapin,

The New Terrapin X was able to range targets the Sig could not hit, the Original Terrapin is a touch better, but discontinued in every way, the others are 1/4 the price and just barely reach 1k in bright sunlight.

Fuck, I even got Vectronix to replace an original broken Terrapin for a SH member at the Cup, they are giving him an X because they will not fix the Original.

The only current competition to work is the AB2400, it's on par, but the larger aiming reticle is the issue with aiming and hitting stuff

I put Philips from Vectronix on a stage at my Match, farthest Target through the Trees was 1329, most hit 750 because that is where the trees were, I also had a target 450 through trees at 200, I asked a bunch of people whether the could it hit it, the answer was NO for most, I hit them no problem

I get it you think I have a bias problem and want "Scientific" Testing what fucking joke, what Scientist do you speak of that would satisfy your angst on the subject

My range goes to 1 Mile from the line and I can back up to 2600 with no effort, I used a tripod for every unit and ranged an 18x24 target at a mile, I know what unit can range it in CO Sunlight and which ones cannot. Your: "I don't get it, I want another opinion is noted"

Sorry, I am not making graphs ... fuck that,

Taking numbers and inserting them into a graph is for the other guy. They get the numbers from the same place you would they just graph them.

A book and graphs dont tell you to locate the aiming point on the LED circle, me in the field does that. Most default to a center hold for a laser that is incorrect, you have to MAP the beam location in order to actually HIT a target.

What chapter is that in the book ?

I actually do that with night vision usually - find the exact beam pattern and aim point reference point using an Elcan type mount base and a night vision unit. Helps me see exactly where the primary beam density falls vs the reticle. Only works on the 905nm units though.

I do think I'm going to try the Terrapin myself now that some good reviews are coming in.

4EBC86A4-8DF1-49CE-94EB-486405CF16EA.jpeg

Sorry, I am not making graphs ... fuck that,

Taking numbers and inserting them into a graph is for the other guy. They get the numbers from the same place you would they just graph them.

A book and graphs dont tell you to locate the aiming point on the LED circle, me in the field does that. Most default to a center hold for a laser that is incorrect, you have to MAP the beam location in order to actually HIT a target.

What chapter is that in the book ?

Lowlight, I didn't understand what you meant by map the beam location? Are you referring to figuring out exactly what the laser is hitting in relation to the aiming reticle? Did you need to do this with Terrapin X?
Thanks for the info on this RF, excited to get one

nfoley, just to save Frank the response; yes, and yes. You should do it with any rangefinder. The laser is rarely perfectly colocated with the reticle. My Sig, for instance, prefers the bottom third of the reticle.

Spot on - most reticles aren't perfectly aimed at the center of the beam density. Back in the day I used to do this with a triple target. Our range had 3 squares at 300, 600, and 900m that looked like they were stacked one on top of each other parallax wise. You could move the laser and see exactly where the laser hit.

Now I adjust the unit to be spot on the reticle on my spotter and measure its location in the TMR reticle.

My 2400 favors the top of the reticle some, for example. My terrapin favored the left side, but only a little.

nfoley, just to save Frank the response; yes, and yes. You should do it with any rangefinder. The laser is rarely perfectly colocated with the reticle. My Sig, for instance, prefers the bottom third of the reticle.

A good tripod and multiple distant telephone poles and wires will give a fairly good idea. The only ones that have been spot on as far I could determine have been my Vectronix units. The Leica 2000B unit that I just received from Euro is definitely lower left. So much so that I can practically use the LL corner of the retice as my aiming pt out to 5-600 yds. I keep notes on each one I have and also put a sticky on the RF to show it’s beam/reticle relationship.

I am hoping that me new X unit will be centered as my prior Vect units.

Damn Finns. They already have Nokia. Now they have they have the Vectronix X before us!

That seems like respectable performance. I'm certainly not poo-poo'ing the VX, but does anyone feel like that write-up shows it not quite meeting the original Terrapin's performance? If so, hopefully the field conditions played a role. Or am I just inflated the original to mythical status?

Finn reported the only meat ranging except for the original ad for the X which stated deer at 1200 yards. Finn closest is 700 - 1000 on a cow or horse. Can anyone address the expected distance measureable to a groundhog sized target, an actual groundhog?

got to have a play with one of these quickly at the PRS match over here last weekend. Unfortunately it wasn't really long enough to make any really impressions on it's ranging ability. Glass was nice as expected as was the extra mag compared to my old terrapin. I don't think the 1 button design is ideal but i'm sure you would get used to it. Looking forward to getting my hands one again at some point.

Thanks Jason @jb1000br

Here's a tougher question, not meant to be argumentative, but it needs asking, because EuroOptic will be in the middle of it all.

For example sake, say the BT module no longer connects to a Kestrel or an app. It's within the 36 month period, and I've registered via the app.

I send you my faulty device...now what happens?

Are there "spares"? Does it cross the pond to get repaired? Is the customer's faulty device swapped for a functional one? What should the customers expectation be in terms of timing for turnaround/repair in the above scenario?

Thank you in advance for your response.

--> UPDATE ON WARRANTY AND DELIVERY OF TERRAPIN-X

If you have a defective unit, you will send directly to us, and after evaluation we will replace directly from stock or send for repair as needed. We will be your contact, so you know you are in good hands ;)

First round is still due to deliver end of this week barring customs delay and the balance of the backorders should be cared for in the following shipment which is slated to arrive to us by the middle of the month.

Thanks!

If you have a defective unit, you will send directly to us, and after evaluation we will replace directly from stock or send for repair as needed. We will be your contact, so you know you are in good hands ;)

First round is still due to deliver end of this week barring customs delay and the balance of the backorders should be cared for in the following shipment which is slated to arrive to us by the middle of the month.

Thanks!

Appreciate the upfront and candid response.

I'd be willing to bet this singluar post by itself is a more beneficial to getting these off the shelf than any brochure, website page, or promo video.

Thanks Euro Optic.

Thanks!

That's awesome news that Euro will be taking point on defective units!

Thanks!

THIS just sold me! Order placed.
I can't think of any better folks I'd want to deal with in a warranty situation.

Reactions: DrRansom
Still nothing in the building - seems customs is taking their sweet time... Also, that stack in the pic was still in Zurich when they posted :cry:

Just received mine and have a question I hope someone can answer. OK, I range a target and then how does the information get transferred to my Kestral? I have them paired via BT. I cannot figure it out. Probably just dummy me but there are no instructions.
Thanks