• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage trigger adjustment (pre accutrigger)

Msprink05

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
WNC
So ive got a preaccutrigger savage that im planning on putting a new trigger in. My question is since ive seen do it yourself trigger jobs in the rimfire section, is it possible to do it with this trigger? If i do it wrong or mess it up i can just put a new rifle basix in it anyway so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Matt

Re: savage trigger adjustment (pre accutrigger)

There's not much you can do with the trigger you have. You'd be better off spending the $100 on the Rifle Basix. The Rifle Basix trigger for that model of rifle is quite excellent.

I disagree. A good trigger can be obtained on the pre-accutrigger savages.

It is a pain because the parts have to be dis/reassembled so many time while stoning the surfaces to try the results.

If you are careful and patient you can safely achieve a trigger pull of 2-3lbs.

IMHO its worth a try if you are planning to replace the factory part anyway.

Thanks i think ill try it. Do you have any insight that might help me not mess it up?

i have a preaccutrigger savage and it was really easy to adjust just seperated from stock then found the adjustment screw and turned it with a screwdriver. that was it. after you lighten it up make sure to slam the bolt home a couple of times to make sure it wont cause the gun to go off.

the pre accutrigger can be adjusted just fine.i was lucky enough to have a smith show me how to do it.but it can be done in less than an hour with ease

I have the correct size wire to lighten the trigger pull SAFELY to around 2lbs. I will send it to you free if you send me a self addressed envelope.
Setting the trigger is not as hard as some may say. For one it is easier than the rem 700.

Pm me for my address and number and I will walk you through it

Before you buy the Rifle Basix check out the Sharp Shooter Supply competition triiger. I think it's about $90 and it's a really nice trigger. Google Sharp Shooter Supply and you'll find their site. Brownells carries it too.

It took me 3 times to hone the edges smooth and I use a wire from a spinner bait and it worked great. Eddie

Good I like that Savage is a DIY kind of rifle. It out shoots all my remmy's even the $1200 custom barreled action I had built.