• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SBRing my Scar16s

K_4c

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I've decide to SBR my incoming scar 16. I'll submit a form 1 and shoot it as is until approved.

I'm considering FNH® SCAR - hi-desertdog.com - (Powered by CubeCart) as the tune the gas port, chop the barrel and provide a proof fire before shipping. However, I'm open to hear anybody else's recommendation if they have already done this process.

Thanks guys

I wold check that vendors reputation before I did business with them, they seem to have mixed reviews if I remember correctly

Yeah, I see what you mean... Damn it.

I'm trying to find more info on a Marvin Pitts. Word is he does pretty good work. Tornado Tech offers a package deal (cut, thread and engrave) for $400 (to high $).

love to hear other recommendations...

I remember lots of guys having trouble with the chrome lining chipping on the cut down barrel over time. This was a while back when these first came out and perhaps someone has found a better way but for my money I would just buy a whole short barrel assembly since these seem to now be available and the changeover time from one barrel assembly to another on a SCAR is only an minute so. It would be nice to have the two barrels as well.

I've heard of the chrome flaking issue, however, I've heard Marvin does some damn nice work at a fair price with no negative feedback.

Looks like I found the right smith for the work I need done.

Thanks guys

Yeah, I see what you mean... Damn it.

I'm trying to find more info on a Marvin Pitts. Word is he does pretty good work. Tornado Tech offers a package deal (cut, thread and engrave) for $400 (to high $).

love to hear other recommendations...
    Marvins work is great. He chopped my 16 to 10", reamed the gas port, and timed my brake. No chrome flaking issues like with HDD either. I highly recommend him.
    2012-01-19090459-1.jpg

Marvins work is great. He chopped my 16 to 10", reamed the gas port, and timed my brake. No chrome flaking issues like with HDD either. I highly recommend him.
    2012-01-19090459-1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and motivation to follow thru with this plan. Question for you... is that the lt660 or lt660hk?
    If its the lt660, do you prefer something lower?

Thanks for the feedback and motivation to follow thru with this plan. Question for you... is that the lt660 or lt660hk?
    If its the lt660, do you prefer something lower?
    It is the LT660. That's an older pic, that T1 went on my M16 later on. The SCAR has a T1 with an Lt660HK on it now, and to be honest, the regular (non HK) Lt660 works better for me. The HK mount is actually a bit low, it doesn't co witness with the irons quite right and for me, its slower than the regular 660. When I get around to it, I'll swap it out for a LT660. The HK mount does look cool though...

It is the LT660. That's an older pic, that T1 went on my M16 later on. The SCAR has a T1 with an Lt660HK on it now, and to be honest, the regular (non HK) Lt660 works better for me. The HK mount is actually a bit low, it doesn't co witness with the irons quite right and for me, its slower than the regular 660. When I get around to it, I'll swap it out for a LT660. The HK mount does look cool though...

I currently have the T1/660 kit. I should receive my SCAR this week, if I don't like the lt660 mount, I might be interested in a trade.

Thanks again for the feedback bm11.

I currently have the T1/660 kit. I should receive my SCAR this week, if I don't like the lt660 mount, I might be interested in a trade.

Thanks again for the feedback bm11.

Yeah I'd make that trade, just let me know. The 660HK works well with a good cheek weld and the stock in the lower cheek position. I tend to shoot CQC carbines with a more "heads up" position and a looser cheek weld, which is why the 660 works better for me. Larue recommends the 660HK, so I imagine that I am in the relative minority.