• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes School me on MOA Reticles. What you use and why

Hannibal Erector

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2017
I've only used Mil rets so I'm a complete newb to MOA. I always thought that by now it would have become a relic but there still seems to be a strong following of MOA users. I'd like to get an idea of what is the most popular reticles being used in PRS and why you prefer that ret to others on the market. I'd like to give MOA a shot and picking a good ret would make for a good jumping off point.

TIA for the input.

The most popular will likely just be the same reticle design but in the moa units. As to which is better its a six of one half dozen of the other argument. Doesnt matter so long as you know and communicate what youre using correctly and effectively.

MOA
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"665","width":"563","src":"http:\/\/www.vortexoptics.com\/uploads\/sub_rzr-g2_f_45-27x56_ebr-2c_moa-t.jpg"}[/IMG2]

MIL [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"651","width":"551","src":"http:\/\/www.vortexoptics.com\/uploads\/sub_rzr-g2_f_45-27x56_ebr-2c_mrad-t.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
As far as most popular PRs reticles
Most-Popular-Long-Range-Scope-Reticles.png

I don't shoot the prs series but have shto some local club matches. I have used MOAR on a sfp NXS and FFP SHVF1. I have also used the NP-R2 on my 2.5-10x24 NXS but will be replacing it with either MOAR or MIL-R depending on if I stay with MOA or go fully mil. I also have 2 AMGs with MOA EBR-7 reticles, a G2 4.5-27 with MOA EBR-2c and SHV F1 in MIL-R.
Why MOA? - I was a DCM/NRA highpower rifle shooter since the late 80s so MOA was second nature. I got my first taste of glass shooting the tactical stuff with old Leupold M1A Ultras with mil-dot reticles and moa turrets. I found the shift to all moa reticle/turrets easier FOR ME than going to mil/mil since I knew my 308 dope in moa already. Nowadays I am so out of proficiency it may just be worth the hassle to go to all mils. I just shifted 1 rifle to the mil reticle and it isn't as tough a change as I anticipated

Last edited:
MOA is just a unit of angular measurement there are something like 64,000 minutes in a 360 degree and if I can remember correctly there are 4,400 Milraidians in 360's. Don't quote me on that. MOA has traditional had a strong following with the hunters out there. Mrad has for along time been embraced by the militaries. I don't think MOA is going anywhere anytime soon? One is not better than the other. I think Mrad might have one advantage, less time dialing. Most modern scopes it takes less than one full rotation of the dial to get to a 1000 yards. Just my $.02

Last edited:
MOA is just a unit of angular measurement there are something like 64,000 minutes in a 360 degree and i can remember correctly there are 4,400 Milraidians in 360's. Don't quote me on that. MOA has traditional had a strong following with the hunters out there. Mrad has for along time been embraced by the militaries. I don't think MOA is going anywhere anytime soon? One is not better than the other. I think Mrad might have one advantage, less time dialing. Most modern scopes it takes less than one full rotation of the dial to get to a 1000 yards. Just my $.02

And MOA is divided into quarters (sometimes 1/8s) where mils are divided into tenths (.1). Sometimes easier to track something as 12.3 mils instead of 42.25 moa.
​​​

I'm an MOA guy too and since all my scopes are Vortex I have four variations of their MOA reticle. With that the TS32 by Leupold is my favorite hold over type reticle by far! Its not too busy but just enough to hold over at long distances.

I have mil and moa based scopes, no real preference to either.

In my MOA based scopes, I really like the NF MOAR reticle. Very user friendly and simple, not cluttered. Works well in a hunting or long range rifle.

For Vortex I like the EBR2C MOA, for Nightforce I like the MOAR. Ive always run MOA optics, it's second nature to me, and probably will never switch, although you are definitely in left field at a match, when everyone around you is talking mils. I grew up framing, every day all day I read a tape measure in fractions, 1/4, 3/8ths etc, and for me it just carried into MOA optics. People will argue both sides, but for dialing in a fast pace setting it seems like MOA would have an advantage. You are never more than 2 hash marks away from any number, vs a mil scope generally has 2 numbers with 8 hash marks in between. But I digress..

I like the NightForce MOAR reticle. I use it on a couple of guns, although I really prefer .mil. If you keep it simple and go back and forth, it is not that hard. NF has a number of great MOA scopes.

I regularly use MOA but I can use MRAD w/o problems, the only thing you need to have is the same system in your reticle and turrets, then just "read" your target in your reticle and move your turrets accordingly.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk