• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope calibration Values

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
So just a simple question or two
Do you calibrate your competition scope ?
What typical calibration values do you see?
Do the values differ for high priced scopes than for budget scopes?
How reproducible have your calibration values been over time for the same scope?
How bad is too bad...time to send it back?
Thanks in advance, you might also reply with scope brand and model if you have specifics.

It either tracks or it doesn’t.

If it doesn’t your software will have a spot to enter how far off it is. You should only need to do it once. Your zero may change over time. But if it’s a good setup. It shouldn’t change much.

So I get that.....my questions are what typical calibration values do you see? Have you ever corrected one in your software? What number did you out in? What would uou consider to be an acceptable number, and at what point would you say the scope needed repair. For example I have a few scopes in the 1.01 to 1.02 range. But I have a Gen 2 razor that is 1.058. Is that notmal gor it to be that far from 1.00 or is that an anomoly.

So I get that.....my questions are what typical calibration values do you see? Have you ever corrected one in your software? What number did you out in? What would uou consider to be an acceptable number, and at what point would you say the scope needed repair. For example I have a few scopes in the 1.01 to 1.02 range. But I have a Gen 2 razor that is 1.058. Is that notmal gor it to be that far from 1.00 or is that an anomoly.
1 MOA equals 1.047 inches at 100 yards so your Razor looks ok to me.

Bryan Litz' tall target test walk-through is the process I use.

Only scope I've ever owned that was dead-on was a Steiner Military. Changed platforms so it had to go, but it was a good scope.

The only one of three 10x super chickens that has tracked repeatably for me has a 1.06 correction, like yours. After having to send the rest back, I'm just trying to live with it.

I'm not sure I like it, personally, but if it is repeatable and easily corrected for, m'eh. Just another step in the calculation process. For speed work, the mental math is just find 10% and add half, and close enough. Couple times under real-world stress, though, has been risky.

The real reason I don't like it is because if I change to another rifle, it has to be a different correction factor which means a change in calculation process, which means another step where something can go wrong.

But that's all just personal opinion.

I pretty much do exactly what Brian Litz does. The only difference id that I actually use a plum line in stead of a level.. I am using mils instead of MOA. so I shoot 10 mils up and my target is exactly 100 yards. my 10 mil adjustment should be exactly 36 inches. My POI moved 34.03" The real crux of the question is, is my 5% error common? Thanks for the video link by the way, I haven't seen it before. Brian got 0.3% error in the video which is what I would expect to be normal.

Do you use a 300 foot measuring tape to measure out 100 yards?

Something I've done recently is make a test target with hash Mark's every 3.6" and then try to place the reticle over them from your 100 yard point.

Reactions: Bender
I don't think you understood the question

You are correct, I did not understand at first but following the thread further and having the video to explain it I see that 1.01 1.02 & 1.058 are calibration values.

Do you use a 300 foot measuring tape to measure out 100 yards?

Something I've done recently is make a test target with hash Mark's every 3.6" and then try to place the reticle over them from your 100 yard point.

I have not measured it with a tape, but I get 100 on my laser, and it is a competition benchrest range, frequented by much more anal retentive guys than me.

I also make a tall very narrow target, and mark it off every 3.6 inches. I hang the target on a nail through my vertical line and hang a weight off of the bottom of my vertical line. This essentially turns the vertical line of my target into a plum bob. This assures that I am true to gravity.