• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Choice For Noveske 5.56 SPR Build

HH4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2008
Right now I am looking at the Night Force 2.5-10x24 and 2.5-10x32 both MIL/MIL, or possibly a USO SN-4 1.5-6x28 with EREK. I already have a Night Force 3.5-15x50 on another rifle, and a USO ST-10 on another build and I love both. I would like to keep the weight down by going wth the NF and I also like the 10x magnification, but the EREK feature of the USO is really nice. This is my first SPR build and I would really like to hear opinions on these scope choices, as well as what works for you and any other recommendations before I make my final decision.

Thanks

Re: Scope Choice For Noveske 5.56 SPR Build

S&B Zenith 1-4X FlashDot or S&B Short Dot. Those are my votes for an AR / SPR

My SPR orginally had a 1.8-10x37mm USO on top. I loved everything about that USO except the weight. I switched it out for a 1-4x NF with exposed mil knobs. I now love everything about this NF except the 4x. It really limits my accuracy at longer ranges. I will say also that as an owner of a USO with EREK knob, the exposed knobs on the NF compact models work really well and have very solid clicks. You won't be sacrificing much at all with the NF knobs.

If I get the chance to do it again, I would definately go with the 2.5-10x32mm NF with exposed mil knobs. The good power range, light weight, and adjustable knobs are a perfect solution for an SPR.

I have had a NF 1-4 with the FC-2 Reticle on my SPR for about 3 years now and still love it. Works really well out to 600 yards with 77'smk. About 240 yrd zero. Then you have a 400, 500 and 600 yard hold with the reticle. If your intentions are to use the reticle for holds I would get the original model without exposed turrets. On other scopes I have had them move around when packing. I purshase mine form knesek's, I believe they are offering NF rings with purshase of a NF scope.--Brandon

when you go to original SPR then Leupy MK4 3-9x36 Mid Range Tactical,same as use grunts and socom on there rigs
I have a NXS 1-4x on my recce M4 and love it out to 500m with SS109 NATO rounds,perfect FC-2 reticle for holds 200,300,400m

I like the EREK as well, and can't imagine having another knob to dial elevation with.

For my AR, I chose to keep things simple and hold elevation if required. If I have time to dial, I have time for the bolt-gun.

USO just sent me my new SN-4 1.5-6 with the slimline knobs.
SN-4%20zeroing_right.JPG

SN-4_zeroing-left.JPG

SN-4%20zeroing_exposed.JPG

The knobs can still be zeroed, but they are well protected from damage and accidental movement.
They don't block peripheral vision as much as the standard knobs, and don't snag as much.

Another vote for the NF 2.5-10x32. I just put one on an AR and it's about perfect. I replaced one of the NF 1-4x24's with the new one.

I must admit I wish it were a true "zero" magnification at the bottom end. I am getting used to it though.
The local range doesn't have a CQB setup open to me and I hope to change that. My CQB skills are nil.
laugh.gif

But then I emply the 6x setting a heck of alot more than any other.
The scope works great for my use.

I'm used to high magnification, 22X, 32X, is 10X enough for precision aiming (not steel) X-ring, at 300-600yards, .223? I too am shopping optics for my new SPR build. It wears a 8.5-25X50 now but it's too big and probably over powered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now I am looking at the Night Force 2.5-10x24 and 2.5-10x32 both MIL/MIL, or possibly a USO SN-4 1.5-6x28 with EREK. I already have a Night Force 3.5-15x50 on another rifle, and a USO ST-10 on another build and I love both. I would like to keep the weight down by going wth the NF and I also like the 10x magnification, but the EREK feature of the USO is really nice. This is my first SPR build and I would really like to hear opinions on these scope choices, as well as what works for you and any other recommendations before I make my final decision.</div></div>
If you were asking for advice on buying a new vehicle, an important question would be what do you want to use it for? The same question applies here. If you are doing precision shooting at longer ranges, then you need magnification and the NF would be a good choice. If you are hunting out to a few hundred yards, then you don't need high magnification and something like an ACOG would work very well, or even a 1x red dot if it's only 100-200 yards. My personal choices were 4x Trijicon ACOG + piggy-back Dokter red dot, ELCAN Specter 1x/4x, USO ST-10, and S&B 4-16x PMII to cover all the bases from short to long range shooting.

Very slick, RAF!