• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

scout rifle scope problem

calebintn

Sergeant
Minuteman
I posted this in optics but no one replied please help

I have a mauser scout rifle with a tasco 2x long eye relief scope. This is my favorite deer rifle and I let a friend barrow it and the crosshairs would not focus and eventually dissapeared when I got it back.
I am wondering what happened, did the scope lose its nitrogen?
Has anyone had dealings with sending a scope off for repairs or is this a waste. I hate to spend $250 bucks to replace a scope I got already on a $150 rifle

Re: scout rifle scope problem

Spend 200 bucks or so and buy either the Burris or Leupold scout scope. Better glass makes for better hunting.
Patrick

You'll be dead and buried before all of the reliable use is gone from that Mauser. I've got a bunch of them, one is a Swede with 1906 date stamp on it. I killed a pretty nice 7 point with it this fall. You made a good investment in a hunting rifle. Now make a good investment in the glass on top of it. The most accuarate rifle in the world is an expensive stick if you can't see what you are shooting at.
Patrick

I posted this in your thread in the Optics forum, but I'll paste it here for addition consideration:

The fact it is a Trashco is the problem. They are not renowned for their ability to hold up very well under recoil.

As for the lack of heavy-duty scout scopes...nonsense. There are several offerings out there that will fill the role exceedingly well, but as you feared, they'll cost you at least $250. Try these:

Burris 2.75x Scout:
http://swfa.com/Burris-275x20-Scout-Scope-P2020.aspx

Leupold 2.5x Scout (available in various finishe...this one is matte):
http://swfa.com/Leupold-25x28-FX-II-Scout-Scope-P3261.aspx

Leatherwood 2-7x:
http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-2-7x32-Long-Eye-Relief-Scout-Scout-Scope-P1568.aspx

I have personally used both the Burris and Leupold scopes and they are excellent. The optics are clear and bright, they are purpose-built as scout scopes so the eye relief is perfect in that position, and they are rated to withstand significant recoil forces. I have personally used the Leupold scout on .45-70, 450 Marlin and 50 Alaskan rifles with zero malfunctions of the scope.

Be very careful of the pistol scope in the scout role. The problem is often that having not been designed as scout scopes, the eye relief is not proper (too much), the field of view is very narrow, and the parallax is often set at improper ranges for the scout scope role.

I doubt it would be worth fixing. You could try contacting Tasco, sending it in, etc.

I have a Leupold FXII and love it. Like ORD said, a true scout scope has a little less eye relief then pistol scopes do.