• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Select a 6.5CM Barrel for my AR10

JayCarver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta, Canada
If you were buying a 6.5CM barrel for a AR10, primary use hunting, which options would you consider? Be specific please(length, contour).

Cold bore accuracy and weight are my primary concerns.

Thanks in advance.

I have a ballistic 18" heavy contour barrel with an SLR adj gas block, I love the rifle but if I were to do it over I would get a Criterion 18in med contour with an adjustable gas block. if your interested in my barrel/gas block I would be willing to part with it so I could get a Criterion.

Bartlein 20" fluted if it's for hunting. Tack driver. Mine are 22" but they arent hunting rigs. I'm on my second..first was spun up by Keystone Accuracy and 2nd done by Patriot Valley Arms

If you were buying a 6.5CM barrel for a AR10, primary use hunting, which options would you consider? Be specific please(length, contour).

Cold bore accuracy and weight are my primary concerns.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't seen anyone complain about Ballistic advantage, and EVERY one ive used has been incredible. They have tons of profiles, just get the one that fits your needs. Cold bore accuracy and semi autos are things that come with tuning, not so much barrel selection as usually the first round will seat differently than the following rounds which are chambered using the inertia from the first fired round. I prefer heavy profiles because I like to shoot longer strings and run a suppressor, but if youre just hunting and likely wont see more than 5-10 shots, get a lighter profile and be happy. Worst case, the barrels are quite inexpensive and have a high demand in the used market, so buy one and try it, if you don't like it, take the 10 min to change barrels and go with another. Your ammo is going to play a larger role than the barrel in accuracy, as well as how you zero it.

2a armament sells their 20 inch pencil 6.5 creedmoor rifle length gas and 5/8×24 threaded barrel that only weighs 2.2 lbs. I would like to try one for my hunting rifle but I have 2 new 22in 6.5 jp barrels already. It is only 299$.The ballistic Advantage barrels are as accurate as you can get, but the 20 in. 6.5 barrel weighs 4.125 pounds! They are great for a bench gun, not for carrying in the mountains.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go shorter than 20 inches if you may have to shoot out to 700 yards. I don't like the velocity loss on the 6.5 with short barrels. You loose the advantages of the 6.5. If you want a short barrel for hunting you might as well shoot 308.