• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shiny new TRG42 in 300wm. now where do I find....

sagebrush

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Nevada
my first ever 300wm is a TRG42 and I'm counting the minutes til I pick her up on Wed. I'd love to get the factory accessories but I just can't fathom the prices. I've looked all over the net and found precious few alternatives sadly.
Most critically I'll need:

- a picatinny optics base....any recommendations?

then...

-bipod

-monopod (my stock is the fixed version)

-muzzle brake (Badger reviews have been stellar from what I've seen)

any wisdom here is much appreciated. thanks guys.

Re: Shiny new TRG42 in 300wm. now where do I find....

Scope base go with Near I would order base in 10moa drop, 25 moa is a little to much(mine is on a trg 22 with a nightforce).

I am waiting for the Atlas bipod they are going to make one for the trg rifles, so stuck with a harris for now. I also think they have the mono pod too.

Muzzle brake the factory one can be had for $200 they work well but I find the brakes in general to loud so mind will soon be with a suppressor.

thank you Zia. 25moa base would be too much? I'm planning on shooting past 1000 if all goes well. Leupy LRT 6.5-20 at the moment.

The Atlas that they make for the AICS and AW's will fit a TRG wont it? And Near or USO or the base for sure.

Jake

The Near base is the way to go. Mine is a 25 moa with a 6.5-20 ERT on top. My baseline zero is 100m, plenty of up, no problems.

The factory bipods are nice but after seeing my shooting partner's break I'm weary of laying down the cash for one. Right now mine sits on a Harris but i'm seriously considering an Atlas.

I'm a big fan of the Max brake from Elite Iron. I have personally owned or shot brake from Near (old and new styles), Sako, and Elite Iron on the TRG platform and I highly recommed latter.

I hope this helps.

-john

Near base if you are going picatinny.

Whats wrong with the factory brake? I loved it. PLus they go for 150 on GB all the time. It has the mirageband adapter on it if you ever get that.

As for bipod. I like the wide stance factory bipod ( older one)
next would be Atlas.
If you wanted to buy the factory bipod and try it, if you dont like it they hold their value and sell pretty fast.

beenjammin, there's nothing wrong with the factory Brake though I do think the Max Brake is better. The mirage band is a good point especially with higher power optics. Have you ever used the Max?

The reason for less moa is on my nightforce I only have about 15 mins from my 100yd 0 to bottoming out scope. You may not be able to get your 100yd 0. I like having a little more travel. I dont like being to close to the end of the travel of the scopes as they can get weird at the extreme ends

Definitely Near base. Check out the Near brake, as well. I've also heard people say good things about the Roedale brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zunrj5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">beenjammin, there's nothing wrong with the factory Brake though I do think the Max Brake is better. The mirage band is a good point especially with higher power optics. Have you ever used the Max? </div></div>

I sure have not. I have a FTE on my AW and the factory on my sako. I know tha APA makes a fat boy ( i think its called... something fat) I know its a good one.

I just mentioned the fatory because I have seen them come down in price.

Let m know if you are interested in one of the wide stance bipods. A local store has one in stock i think for 450. the wide ones are getting harder to find.

The Badger 20MOA base is available from Alex at Eurooptic. Mine works fine to 1k yd with a NF 8-32X56 NXS. Have the factory bipod but way too floppy for F-Class. Much prefer the Harris with pod-loc on Harris 6(6A?) adapter. Have an older Parker-Hale but have not tried it, yet. Hand-stop/spigot should slide right in euro hand-stop rail.

AG in NC

The base I have is the NEAR Tri Lug in 25MOA.

NEar Mfg

I went for the NEAR Alphamount ( one piece ). Had Badgers on there with the previous scope. The Apha Mount is a work of art

I bought the SAKO OEM brake and the Near brake. After lots of testing I kept the Near and gave away the Sako

As you can see from the pic below, the Near has less opening at the bottom. As a result, it kicks up less crap when prone

Also notice the slots are actually in an arc vs straight to the side like the SAKO. This is suppose to pull the rifle forward a bit to further reduce recoil. Hard to tell if it makes that noticable difference though

Lastly the brake is not symmetrical . There are more slots on the RHS. This will actually force the stock <span style="text-decoration: underline">slightly</span> away from your cheek ( since it pushes the rifle barrel to the left ) With the SAKO brake I noticed my cheek was a bit sore from the constant rubbing from the stock as the gun recoils. Even though you don't feel any "pivoting of the rifle" my cheek feel noticably better after a range session

ebdd4d52.jpg

I have the SAKO bipod . Its a great field bipod ( great for hunting where you can following movers ) . I don't care for it on the bench. A bit too floppy

thanks again everyone. Well now I'm thinking about pulling the stock and paining it since it appears simple per the instructions and there is no bedding compound involved. However there are no good illustrations in the manual and I'm wondering if it's as simple to remove/replace the stock as I'm hoping...any thoughts?

I went went with the factory bipod, brake and 3 ring mount for my 338, along with an extra mag. I figured I was dumping a good chunk of change already, that a little bit more wouldn't kill me.

Chris

I ended up with the factory brake, and a Warne top rail (well they are on thier way). due to budget constraints I'll have to wait on bipod etc.

so...anyone removed and replaced the stock on thier TRG? is it easy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up with the factory brake, and a Warne top rail (well they are on thier way). due to budget constraints I'll have to wait on bipod etc.

so...anyone removed and replaced the stock on thier TRG? is it easy? </div></div>

Why would you want to replace a pefectly serviceable and competent stock?

Chris

oh I love the stock. I just want to paint it.

The best mount (IMO) is the Sako 3 ring with 30 MOA base. If you plan to go longer than 1K, then I would lean this route. If you have a NF with 100 MOA of travel, then your zero should be around 20 MOA, with roughly 80 MOA of elevation. This is plenty to get you to the range of a 300WM. The factory brake is awesome. Another good brake is the Fat Bastard, but I believe the threading is different. Get the Harris #6 (or #6A) adapter for the under rail for a standard bipod mount. Atlas was also in the process of making a mount to fit in the front of the stock. If they have this, then I would get that instead. Otherwise you're set.