• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Okay.. I couldn't make it out this weekend, and that was a bummer. Like everybody else, the holidays are crazy busy. So how about everybody clear the calendar for

Jan 19th?

It seems that even TDR maybe even able to go! I think QQ may be able to go as well.

Ill be wringing out the .223, I know what you guys can do with the bigger shit, bring your .223's and lets see how good you are! If no .223.. then you cant go...........................J/K

OW? Alan? DirtDart?

You guys up for it?

Good to see you instigating again Ren!

I'm looking forward to it!

My oldest daughter has largely glommed onto my Savage 112 Bolt gun (.223) and while it is technically mine since I paid for it, the glass, the rings, the base, the CDI DBM, the AI mags, etc., do all the loading and case prep for it, we all pretty much know that I now need my own new .223 bolt gun!

I look it as more of an opportunity than the loss of a fine rifle!

It's in my safe though so I'm sure she'll let me use it if I don't find one before the 19th! Kind of interested in a REm. 700 SPS tactical in that chambering so I can start the whole process again!

I'll be there! on the 19th!

Been too damn long Tony! Looking forward to it! Anyone heard from Al, and Dirt Dart? I texted James about the 19th.

I got down there on Sunday with my oldest daughter.

And my Golf coach! Seriously!

It was beautiful out there and I managed to get some shooting in while setting up my daughter for making hits with my, er, her....223 Savage bolt gun. She got zero's with the 52 and 75 grain loads I prepared and then I dialed her up 14 minutes for her first hits at that range!

My golf coach had been wanting to come down there for a couple years and finally was able to make it. He hunts pigs a lot on his land and that of his daughter's fiance but has been missing a lot. Now I know why!

I loaded up 50 rounds of .30-30 for him back in April and a few weeks ago he mentioned he had a couple duds when bearing down on a hog! Shit! I asked what the cartridge looked like but he told me ejected them and didn't pick them up...

Well, he had a couple more duds at the bench on Sunday. I brought my 94 and was shooting the same loads and had not a single problem. Actually a lot of fun standing and shooting over open sights! So I looked at the cartridges that failed to fire in his Marlin and found not so much as a mark on the primer!

I loaded a couple into his rifle and chambered one and got a click! I ejected a pristine case with no mark at all on the primer. Next round in the tube and, Bang! But it ejected stiffly but recoil was minimal. The no fires happened a couple more times intermittently as well as rounds that fired. I also had some good hits with his rifle (At 100 yards) while he was all over the left half of the target.

He shifted over to his daughter's (An excellent golfer BTW and a member of the USF golf team!) and had no misfires with my loads. But he still kept hitting on the left of the target, rarely hitting the 6" black center.

In the meantime, I had a good time with with he and My daughter who now loves the prospect of the pleasant 60 mile drive there! And she had a break through in her pistol shooting thanks to some instruction from Gene in the office and Range officers Jack and Mickey.

I think they solved her problem with the handgun. She'll need to work on their drills but as I said the "after" was way better than the "Before" Turns out she is left eye dominant!

Well I'll miss you guys. On January 19 ill most likely be shooting but it maybe myself or Mickey Mouse. We are headed on a cruise with the fucking rodent 18 January. I am gonna try and shoot New Year's Day. Even if only at WAC or shoot straight.

Jeff/dale. Has a phone issue and lost your numbers. Hit me with yer digits and you may get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QQ. I taught a buddy of mine how to shoot that had that same problem... right handed... left eye dominant. It wasn't easy until we put some paper on his sunglasses over his left eye. So is your buddy going to get his 30 30 looked at. I would think that would be a little dangerous having a funked up firing pin or some other issue.

O_W... if you throw yourself overboard, just be sure to leave Jeff and me more goodies. We'll put them to good use while your visiting Davy Jones locker!

Ive been texting Alan... he wants to go... he just needs a little more pure pressure from the rest of us!

Morning All!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!

I figure as long as I stay vertical, it would be difficult to beat 2013 as the crappiest year I've experieinced in my 54 short years on this rock! So unlike virtually every other New Years eve in my history, I do seriously plan on getting hammered. Fuck 2013!

Almost lost my wife due to a freak spleen hemorrhage that was the latest in a series of illnesses that have befallen her over the last few years. She is recovering.

So while I am glad to see 2013 in the rear view mirror I also recognize that things can always get worse! :D

And with that, I wish you all the best and hope we can all spend a little more time doing the things we will severely regret missing: Taking the kids out shooting, playing golf, having a drink and a cigar at 8:00 pm rather than wading through one more bid, or bill, or schedule.

As my kids are now young women, the time I get to spend with them becomes more fleeting and precious. You guys with young children take heed: It is no bullshit country song! You are going to miss this!

Be well fellas and I really look forward to seeing you all soon!

Ahmen to that QQ! My little guy is already 2! Im hoping he will be joining us on the range in a few short years!

How, Jeff! I ditto your take on 2013. Things are not terrific good for shooters here in NY, but the trial judge announced yesterday that he is ready to pronounce a verdict on the NYSAFE Act lawsuit.

Celia's down with a bad hip, really bad, due for a complete replacement, but it's not scheduled until February, and meanwhile the discomfort has her mostly recliner bound. We get by, but it is not easy seeing her so wracked and not being able to help her with the underlying issue.

The Grandkids had a great holiday, and the eldest, Elena, can't wait for the FV-250 rifle season to reopen. We are seeing a lot of white with temps ranging from just below freezing downward to low singles. Nothing really debilitating, but we've already been driving in some white-outs.

Wishing the best of the season to you and yours.

Greg

Greg,

I hope Celia is feeling better soon. Glad to see you are still in the fight.

I worry about the fate of so obvious an infringement of our rights by an egregiously corrupt governor in the hands of
Judge. Worked so well with the ACA didn't it.

Hey Guys,
Good to see the Manatee spirit is still alive. Just been super busy, No excuse, Bringing the AR15 Long range setup and my AICS 223. What about 22lr???? long distance??

MERRY NEW YEAR!!!!!

I hope everyone enjoyed the Holidays?

I am down for the 19th and Ill be bringing my girl (previous army).
And she has a Camo Bikini ;-)
But seriously a cool chic
Ill be bringing the AK and the pistol so she can get down with that too
So it should be a fun day

Ren 308 ammo offer still on the table?

AL

Last edited:
I'm still alive. Been shooting underwater a lot lately. I'll see if I can stay out of the water long enough to get out on the 19th, not making any promises. I know we need to catch up. Miss ya'll

Eye doc help needed, my shooting eyes are getting tired and I need some specs. Anybody know of a eye doc that is shooter friendly in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Tampa area? Thanks!

Echo,
Yes he is the doc for the Olympic shooting team. Don't have his contact info.one of my co workers went to him yesterday. I will post the docs info tmw after I talk w my coworker.

Echo,
Yes he is the doc for the Olympic shooting team. Don't have his contact info.one of my co workers went to him yesterday. I will post the docs info tmw after I talk w my coworker.

Dirt Dart, thanks for checking on the eye doc, maybe after seeing him I might find the Xring again.

Dirt Dart, any word on the eye doc?

Echo,

While my specialty is Gynecology, I'll be happy to give your eyes a breast exam.

Back to regular programming.

So we're still on tomorrow? Fuckin A!

I will bring my .223 bolt gun that my daughter thinks I gave to her...So I guess that means I will be borrowing it. Also gave my AR-10 a significant boob job with a PRS stock, a Timney trigger (Went with the 4 lb) and put a TRX free float tube on it. Feels like a whole ne rifle. I want to rezero it tomorrow and see if it shoots any better. I bore sighted it last night and was somewhat surprised to find it was still zero'd on the laser at least, after having pulled the scope and barrel a couple of times since I last bore sighted it.

Perhaps you guys will want to stay away from me when I fire the first few shots, in case all those left over parts I found on my bench where meant to do something on my rifle. :D It's surprising to find that 30 ft lbs of torque is really not equal to my usual yardstick of "Tight as Fuck!" or T.A.F. It's considerably less than T.A.F.

And yes, I used a torque wrench! Two of them in fact, just to be sure! As long as I don't blow myself up, I feel like I have made a giant stride up the learning curve on building and modifying ARs this year. Perhaps someday, with a lot more work, imagination and study, I will attain 10% of the success our beloved TDR has achieved!

It's a goal for me!

Hope to see yall tomorrow!

Eco
Dr frank570 313 7176.
To the rest of ya, got to put new tires on the gf car sun so I'm out for this weekend. I will do what in can to make the next meeting.

Yep...still in! TDR called me and said he is 50/50. So we may not be seeing him. Ill bring some steel too.

Im going to try and get there around 9, ive got some loads to test out... was thinking of each of us putting a group on steel at 565 and taking a pic for show and tell!

Today's excitement was punctuated with some more excitement!

Our Brother Ren wcould have been badly hurt when the fellow immediately next to him, shooting at bench 11, had a monumental KABOOM!

Attachments

• Kaboom1_zps1ad1bd77.jpg
    Kaboom1_zps1ad1bd77.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Kaboom2_zps03c4ff88.jpg
    Kaboom2_zps03c4ff88.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Kaboom3_zps0ec90044.jpg
    Kaboom3_zps0ec90044.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 30
  • kaboom4_zps6a8c4489.jpg
    kaboom4_zps6a8c4489.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 36
  • kaboom5_zps4b8b9842.jpg
    kaboom5_zps4b8b9842.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
What a great day! Yeah... the 338 lapua explosion was pretty crazy. I look over after the kaboom and dude is sitting there with a huge WTF! look on his face. Im just glad everybody was okay... only minimal injuries to the owner.

Jeff and Michelle talking the finer points of accuracy!
ren-albums-manatee-trip-1-19-14-picture27318-jeff-alan-michelle.JPG

Alan's Badger!
ren-albums-manatee-trip-1-19-14-picture27319-alans-badger.JPG

The AI with the range in the back ground.
ren-albums-manatee-trip-1-19-14-picture27320-ai-ae-mkiii-range-back-ground.JPG

Here is a picture of the target I was shooting at Jeff. All the groups were around half MOA, with the last group at the bottom at .292!

ren-albums-manatee-trip-1-19-14-picture27335-todays-load-development.JPG

Rene was here, well... her rifle was anyways!

ren-albums-manatee-trip-1-19-14-picture27323-renes-rife-range-back-ground.JPG

Had a great day!

Last edited:
Except for shit blowing up behind us, it was a fantastic day!

I put a free float fore end on my AR-10 and frankly, was worried I might blow up good with the first live round I put through it! So this morning, I warned Ren (On my left) and the European dude on my right, that I was going to fire the new, and hopefully improved, rifle and just in case, tell Sofia Vergara

not to mourn too long for me if I done blowed up!

But it went swimmingly!

Attachments

• Kaboom11_zpsf9d8b16e.jpg
    Kaboom11_zpsf9d8b16e.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Kaboom10_zps71e0426c.jpg
    Kaboom10_zps71e0426c.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 27
  • sofia-vergara-bikini.jpg
    sofia-vergara-bikini.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
He says the loads were not hot but that some were sticking. He's been out there every time I go there and has a lot of different rifles with him every time I see him there. He loads for all of them and seems pretty knowledgeable.

I believe the range had just gone back hot when this happened and it's possible he left the rod in the barrel when the range went cold, when we are told to step away from our rifles. Perhaps he forgot he left it there in the interim.

Keep in mind, the rod may have been fully inserted into the bore when he set up for the nearly fatal shot once the range went hot and he just didn't see what length of it may have been protruding from the muzzle at that time!

Just a couple theories as I believe this guy is not a bone head.

Damn nice shooting.

Thanks man. Damn nice shooting by all today. QQ was crushing the 7x11 piece of steel we put out at 700 like a mad man!

On another note, as I was unloading all of my gear when I got home I heard my son saying, "Sockos?..Sockos?..Sockos?"... he was kinda whispering it. I look at the front door to see him giving her kisses. Priceless.

ren-albums-manatee-trip-1-19-14-picture27334-sockos-levi.JPG

Last edited:
I'd love to hook up with anyone over at Manatee. Its been a few years for me but I am living St Lucie and its a reasonable drive for me. That Kaboom sucks and is worse than anything I've seen. I've seen a couple of AR Kabooms and they were both Olympic built and shooting reloads

shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Matter of fact the rifle range was 725 yds last time I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to hook up with anyone over at Manatee. Its been a few years for me but I am living St Lucie and its a reasonable drive for me. That Kaboom sucks and is worse than anything I've seen. I've seen a couple of AR Kabooms and they were both Olympic built and shooting reloads

I live in Jupiter and I will be heading over there within the next couple months once I get my loads dialed in. I plan to hit Okeechobee this weekend to start my load development with my new barrel.

We had a awesome time!!!!
The new length @ 16.25" was a F&^%KING laser!!!
Pipe tape was perfect for the suppressor,glad I had some with me

Michelle had a blast and wants to go again..."QQ & Ren are very nice guys" I said yes they are
Ren, she says thank you for being so nice and patient with her and she
loves the S&B better....LOL

Thank you from me for teaching her how to drive a bolt action....the AI ;-) while I was
trying to zero in.
By the time she got to my rifle she was a damn pro.........
she only missed her mark at 565 3 times the whole day...."Oh this is easy"......lmao

And thank you again for the rounds. That load was mild and perfect.
It felt like a BB gun plus by the end of the day Michelle was spotting her hits.

We are ready to go anytime just say when.

AL

Your welcome Alan! Its just good stuff all the way around!
One hour of instruction and a new shooter is born! I love it!
So when are we spec'ing out her rifle? LOL!

I did move the scope back a little bit, I didnt like having to crawl up on the stock that much either. You have also motivated me to get of my arse and get my trust going! The can is the way to go man... so nice...just a little shove and no noise.

Oh.. and how is FEB 23rd sound for everybody?

Can you guys see my pics I posted okay? I think you have to be logged in.

Laters,
Ren

Your welcome Alan! Its just good stuff all the way around!
One hour of instruction and a new shooter is born! I love it!
So when are we spec'ing out her rifle? LOL!

I did move the scope back a little bit, I didnt like having to crawl up on the stock that much either. You have also motivated me to get of my arse and get my trust going! The can is the way to go man... so nice...just a little shove and no noise.

Oh.. and how is FEB 23rd sound for everybody?

Can you guys see my pics I posted okay? I think you have to be logged in.

Laters,
Ren

I may be able to make that work if you're including me in the Manatee Crew. Though I'm not going to b able to start my load development this weekend, Thanks to Okeechobee Shooting Sports hack gunsmiths!! They didnt follow manufactures instructions on NOT turning my brake and they didnt index it properly oh and the barrel slipped in the vise leaving nice scuff marks!! They are 2 for 2 on screwing up my stuff!

300Winny.. your more than welcome to come. Anybody that is following the thread can join us. We just try and get together, I'm hoping more often than not this year!

That sucks about your smith. Stuff like that sucks when it happens.

Yep I had to buy another brake and take it to another smith. At least I didnt pay them for the crap work they do though Im still out more than what I would have paid them. I will do my best to be ready by then and I hope to learn some things from more experienced shooters.

I have an old friend that lives in West Palm Beach. His google-fu sucks and claims that he doesn't have anywhere to shoot rifles. Any suggestions for him?

Last edited: