• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Well I'm locked in with my planned trip to Manatee. I'll be there the 29th AM. I wont run into any problems with the RO's or anything will I, being a non-member. Just stop by the office sign a waiver, pay my range fee and go have fun?

Thanks fellas, looking forward to meeting any of you who show up Sunday.

Ren,
if i have not recived my NXS by then and you don't mind me braking hyman on the New USO. It is 30mm tube? I will be there on the 12 with a dout.I take it you sold the one that was on the FN?
Smashed 10 Grouper by 12:00 Sat home by 4:00 and made some fresh ceviche out of a certain snapper that is red for lunch?? So good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm locked in with my planned trip to Manatee. I'll be there the 29th AM. I wont run into any problems with the RO's or anything will I, being a non-member. Just stop by the office sign a waiver, pay my range fee and go have fun?

Thanks fellas, looking forward to meeting any of you who show up Sunday. </div></div>

You'll be offered a seat and a clip board to fill out the waiver forms. Takes a few minutes. The matches usually get started around 10:00 and run till about noon or a little longer depending on range fires or other delays!

In the mean time, you can be shooting from the other benches at long range targets not involved in the match. Then there is the pistol range and shorter range rifle berms if you want to go full auto or race through magazines in bursts not allowed at most other ranges!

With all this friggin rain, shouldn't much chance of a range fire!

Thanks queequeg, I look forward to shooting there. Will be bringing my WSM's ( 300WSM & 7WSM ) so there won't be any hasty mag dumps with these. The furthest I've had the chance to shoot so far is 600 so I'm a little excited to see how I will do at the longer distances. I will need to confirm my dope at 300 since I don't have a reliable chronograph. I can work that come-up backwards in my BulletFlight software to get my speeds in order to get come-ups for 1000.

Hope it doesn't rain Sunday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtDart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ren,
if i have not recived my NXS by then and you don't mind me braking hyman on the New USO. It is 30mm tube? I will be there on the 12 with a dout.I take it you sold the one that was on the FN?
Smashed 10 Grouper by 12:00 Sat home by 4:00 and made some fresh ceviche out of a certain snapper that is red for lunch?? So good
</div></div>

Nope... Ive still got the ERGO sitting in the safe. I ordred the 20th anniversary edition USO that they had a special on in the optics section earlier this month.... If It comes in before the 12th ... and I hope it does... we can bolt it up to your stick.

This weekend the 29th is going to be a no go for me. If anything I may go to Webb here at 100 and 200 and confirm zero and maybee get a feel for my new stick before some Sept. 12th steel smashing!

im planning on 9/12 also will be nice to have the company

i have a guy i work with coming out with me to shoot but he has no gun of his own,so he will be using mine

also does anyone have a spare AR barrel.its all i need to complete my built until i get the cash for my 6.5 grendel saber barrel

Just wanted to invite you guys to the BSF match on Oct 1st-3rd at their 850 yard range in Waldo, Fl. There is a rundown of the match at ruashooter.com under the events tab as well as a thread in the 'tactical competitions' section here on the hide. Hope to see some of you there.

That sounds like fun, to bad I'll be in Montana from the 2nd to the 10th of Oct. I'll likely make the 12th this month at manatee though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jr81452</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like fun, to bad I'll be in Montana from the 2nd to the 10th of Oct. I'll likely make the 12th this month at manatee though. </div></div>

Moving to Montana?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ialhaxhr7iA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ialhaxhr7iA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masterwrench</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wanted to invite you guys to the BSF match on Oct 1st-3rd at their 850 yard range in Waldo, Fl. There is a rundown of the match at ruashooter.com under the events tab as well as a thread in the 'tactical competitions' section here on the hide. Hope to see some of you there. </div></div>

Waldo, Florida, home of the best advertised Speed Trap in the US of A!

Sounds like fun but a bit of drive! I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jr81452</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like fun, to bad I'll be in Montana from the 2nd to the 10th of Oct. I'll likely make the 12th this month at manatee though. </div></div>

Moving to Montana?
</div></div>

Not yet, this recession set back the retirement plans a few years. Just visiting my land
frown.gif

What time will you guys get there on the 12th? I'm still somewhat new to the FL scene and definitely want to meet up. I'll have the new to me 308 rig with a nightforce optic on it. I have a TRG42 but its donating its optic. I can bring it along if anybody else has a scope/set of rings to mount on it. I have plenty of hand loads so anybody is free to shoot it. Thanks guys

Jared

that ok i ordered my barrel for my grendel and its not going to be here til monday 9/13

Guys,
I hate to say this but, I am out as well. Got a tournny this weekend in the panhadle that came up last minute. I can't let the team down. Rem or TDR, if you want to stop by the house on the way to the range you guys can pick up the steel soliders. I have no problems with that PM me for the directions to the house. They are ready to go get bashed! DD

Just found out TDR is out as well. Im awaiting parts for my AI build so looks like Im out also.

Sorry guys... I guess well have to put another date together.

Meh, wanted to swap out the turbos on the VR4 this weekend anyway. I'm free any weekend up till the 2nd of Oct.

Bummer...

I need the work mind you, but shooting steel is sooooooooo cathartic!

Especially the-hitting-the-steel part of shooting at steel!

laugh.gif

Hi guys, I live in the UK but will be in Florida Dec 3-24th on holiday and wondered if you might recommend some ranges to me ? I'm going to be based in Miami most of the time but will venture up to Orlando for a few days.

Are there any ranges (or high quality shooting schools/courses) that I can shoot at if i'm not a member or US citizen ? Also, it would be a lot easier to rent a rifle if possible rather than bring mine with me but if that isn't an option I'll start with the paperwork now :-(

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. TJ

Hi TJ,
What type of shooting are you looking for??
Here is a great site for some top name instructor's classes.
http://www.southernexposuretraining.com/schedule.php
It is located about 3/4 of the way to Orlando from Miami and a little west. Here is a e-mail for Irv as he is the cordinator for the range and classes.
[email protected]
They can also arrange for a weapon as well.

Manatee is a great place to shoot out to 1,000 yards.
Here is their site as well. http://www.manateegunclub.com/
If you can make it there I am sure you could meet up with some of the Hiders and shoot.

I used to live in Fort Lauderdale. There is Markham park but the gestapo range officers have to be ever vigilante & strict to keep it safe.

What part of the UK?? as I do a lot of business in Manchester.

Hi,

I mainly shoot an Accuracy Int'l AE. I'm quite happy to travel and having never made it to the gulf coast before Manatee could be tempting. I'd love to do a 1-2 day Rifle Only type course if possible and the Pat Rogers would be awesome because the nearest we get to that over here is .22lr AR variants but Pat only takes US citizens. I'm happy to consider pretty much anything provided it comes from instructors who can help me develop. It might even be a good excuse to try something I've never done before ie pistol which is banned here or even hunting. Sitting in an office all day anything has appeal !

I'm from central London.

I shoot with an AICS chassis in 308. S&B optics.
I sent a PM with all my contact info. You can also PM me here as I am always on the hide. If you find a date let us know so we can meet up.

T.J.,

Manatee is about 25 miles dead east of downtown Bradenton, About 35 miles from downtown Sarasota. If you have any plans for rest and relaxation along the gulf coast, Sanibel-Captiva islands are tough to beat for peaceful, beautiful battery recharging and not nearly as far from the rifle range as Miami.

That said, the drive over from Miami isn't the equivalent of Hanibal driving over the Alps, so it's doable if you get an early start.

If gulf fishing is on your itinerary, contact DirtDart as fish fear him! BTW, we have still seen no oil on our shores...

Thx. I will def make it to Manatee and will look for somewhere to stay in Sarasota or Bradenton (which is nicer?) but will def have a look at Sanibel islands as an idea. I will have the wife and kids with me and happy to either rent or stay in a nice hotel. I'm not really into fishing but i wouldn't mind trying some hunting if that's an option in FL ? I just picked up a hunting license (basic) which allows me as a foreigner to rent guns and buy/posses ammo so i probably won't bring my rifle this time. I can't wait.

This place is said to be paradise (I've been meaning to go for years...) but it's actually closer to Ft. Myers and a bit of a cruise to the Manatee range. Still, it's no where near the haul it is from Miami!

http://www.sanibel-captiva.org/

Another very nice place that happens to be much closer is,

http://www.annamariaislandchamber.org/

Sanibel is much more pastoral and less developed.

Thanks. Looks great. I'm sure the wife will be keen. I've managed to pencil in a couple of pistol courses for the trip since we can't use them in the UK I thought that it would be interesting to try. First one I found is Risk Inc...convenient location for me and they are flexible on timings. Second one was recommended by Derrick down at Snipercraft for which I'm very grateful. I will spend 3-days with them...can't wait. Its going to be a huge learning curve. If time allows I will try to add a rifle course with UTA too.

http://www.risks-inc.com/tacticalshooting.html

http://www.universalshootingacademy.com/uta/index.htm

Please don't come to Anna Maria Island, you'll never leave. Just kidding as I've lived there my whole life. Sanibel/Captiva is nice but other than the beach not much going on. If need any local intel. just ask.

My wife has always loved Anna Maria Island. It is as you say. Once I hit the lotto, or even less likely, become successful, I'd love to be your neighbor!
laugh.gif

Ironic though it may seem coming from a construction guy but I'm glad Anna Maria hasn't suffered the insane development frenzy the Pinellas coast has.

My cousins grew up on Madiera Beach and it was far different 40 years ago than today. Fortunately Fort Desoto is still pristine Florida gulf coast.

LESBO'S ????? be nice.

I have to install 2,800 sq feet of tile in the next 2 weekends. Them I will be ready for a range secession.

I'm heading up to manatee this Friday if anyone wants to meet up. It would be cool to hang with some Hide guys.

David

Hey guys,
I havn't been to the range in a while. I used to a regular, but then my second kid came along. I hear that there's a 12 year old showing you boys how to shoot at 565. I was just droppin a line I was really wondering how grouchy ass Pitts is doing. Maybe I'll be able to meet up with you guys over there one Saturday.

KJ

You mean Mitt?

I find him to be a colorful old salt who told me of a shortcut that saves me 15 minutes of travel time. Hell of a guy! Not sure which kid you speak of but I haven't met a rude or arrogant one there.

And the only thing me and my friends are worried about are the know-it-all's who violate the safety rules, shoot like drunks or lecture us on the horseshit they read in this month's Guns and Ammo.

I was talking about Gene Pitts. Last I heard he was pretty sick. Great group of guys out there though. Wish I had more time to go over and shoot, I only live about 45 minutes away.

KJ

Got you.

Gene is doing better. He was pretty sick and had surgery back in June if I recall. Several of us just happened to be there when they dedicated the 1000 yard range to him in late August. It now bears his name. He has a lot of friends if that turn out is any
indication.

I just know him as Gene or Gunny and forgot his last name! He's the boss over there all right!

I've only been a member there for a little over a year.

Gene is a good guy, he's helped me out on plenty of occasions. Especially the first time I shot at 1000. If it wasn't for him I think my rounds would have been landing somewhere in Tampa. Glad to hear he's doing better.

KJ

Hey 31 chaser,
Keep an eye on this post as we will set a date soon and there are about 6 or so of us that get together and shoot steel. Lots of fun.

Wow didn't even know there is a 1000 yards range in Florida :). A long way from Jacksonville, but I might have to take a trip down :)

I am going to the range to sight in on Oct 24. I will bring the steal with me. Any takers

Bet it nice to shoot on a Friday but than aging you missing a good time on Sunday

24th sounds good to me. Need to do a little load development.

smile.gif

It sucks. I have to work.
Next time. By then I will have forgoten how to shoot and Ren will be outshooting me again.

I like to get there about 9 So I can get the targets out before he range get hot

Still working on getting there Sunday. Might have to work afterwards though if the douchebag painters get a "Vital" pair of doors ready...I'm hoping they OD on lacquer fumes and I don't have to fight these doors on a Sunday night!

Sure don't want to miss shooting DirtDart's steel!

I still plan on being there. Ill probably be shooting to 300 testing some loads.