• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

MY barreled action isn't going to be ready james so don't worry.

see you fellers sunday AM.

Not looking good for me tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: over_watch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not looking good for me tomorrow. </div></div>

But But...I wanted to shoot your groovy new steel!

frown.gif

I'm aiming for 9:00 as well. I'll have two targets anyway...

Ren, you schlepping your's out as well?

Schlepping? I dont think Ive heard that word since the flintstones kids... Schlep Rock. LOL

Ill be there, but Ive gotta go earlier than the usual 4 pm. Like everybode else, Ive got alot going on this time of year. Somebody bring some white paint, and Ill bring das steel ya!

Good seeing you guys there. Another beautiful day!

Tic Tac, that was me who said good morning to you at 9:30!

The cans of Diet Dr. Pepper were a definite success!

Next Trip, there will be soda!

It was good meeting you. I don't believe I had the chance to meet everybody but there's always next time. Today was sort of a bust for my father and I, but that's alright!

Hope you guys had fun, I know it sure was a lovely day for shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good seeing you guys there. Another beautiful day!

Tic Tac, that was me who said good morning to you at 9:30!

The cans of Diet Dr. Pepper were a definite success!

Next Trip, there will be soda! </div></div>

Good stuff today once I figured out my dope! I think you launched a few of the cans into orbit today!

These cans are defective!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tcwz8-EfFYE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tcwz8-EfFYE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Sorry I missed you guys. just didn't end up working out for me this weekend.

Great weather for a shoot!

I have to work almost all twelve weeks of Kwaanza so I doubt I'll get back there before year end.

Must be nice to get those gubment holidays off...

But I really enjoyed the last trip and don't want ti be gone so long!

23rd would be sweet, if I could make it work!

I might try next sunday. Got my barreled action from woody so i need to make some brass and get my stock.

Fellas - I am not going to get out anymore this year as we are headed out of town.

Be Safe Merry Christmas and God bless you and yours.

See you next year!!

Guys - I am placing a rather larg powder order with Ward lewis after the first of the year. anyone need anything that requires the hazmat shipping? His prices are the best I have found btw.

Safe week guys, check out me new 243 in the photos section and get ready to rock some steel!!!

Merry Christmas turkeys. I know I have been out of the loop for awhile but what ya gaana do. I have been working on a new house so, there is not a lot left over for shooting. Hope everyone has there wishes fulfilled.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Im pretty good on reloading supplies right now OW, but thanks for the offer!

DirtDart, So does this mean your coming out to ring steel on the next outing?... or you just teasing us with your presence here?
smile.gif

Rant thread....

Hadn't made the trip to Manatee in a couple of months.
Last time there, I was impressed with some changes made- including wind flags in the ground (about a foot off the ground) every hundred yards all the way to the ditch.

Now there's three huge wind socks like you'd see at an airfield at the top of the left berm... now...I'm relatively new at long range, but seems I'd be better served knowing what's happening a little above ground level, than thirty feet in the air.

Anyway, my REAL bitch is that ALL the steel- save for a single measly swinger remaining on the left berm at 565 is GONE.
ALL of it...
The two big gongs right of the tires at 565- GONE.

I "politely" bitched at Pitts...
I told him that I had no reason to drive over three hours round trip and have no targets to shoot at.

It's BULLSHIT.
For what they charge, and they refuse to maintain their steel targets? I don't go there to plink at 100 or 200 yards- I've got closer ranges where I can do that.

I could see, one or two missing that just got shot out...

But ALL of them? Come on...those posts holding the swingers had been shot apart for ages and finally let go. How about "preventive" maintenance?

When questioned, they were non-committed on when they would be replaced.

When I mentioned that if I brought my own steel, the entire line would be shooting at it, he simply replied that anything put down there is "fair game"...

BULLSHIT, again...

If I put up a paper target at any range, is everyone allowed to shoot at it? FUCK NO....

I mostly like the guys there, and have been a customer for over two years. But,this is fucked up...

Word of warning if you're going there to shoot steel at the 565 berms- THERE IS NONE. Ran a few down the ditch to 1000, and they all seemed to be intact, so if 1K is your only game, you're still GTG as of now...

I'm going to call before next month's trip to see if those lazy fuckers have gotten around to fixing the targets that are supposed to be there for the paying customers.

All of my bitching is done keeping in mind the fact that the place is only open four days a week- leaving three to fix shit...

Rant over.

I feel your pain. I hate to tell you this, but unless you go out and volunteer your time, materials, and tools, the steel won't go back up. I happened to shoot at the steel gong at 565 about 6 months ago, when I did the entire thing fell apart.. I felt horrible so I went out and repaired it myself (they said if I hadn't done so, nobody else would have..)

I thought I was doing a good deed volunteering a weekend of my time out there just to be nice and try to help, since I am a member there just like everyone else, and I enjoy shooting at the steel down range..

About a week after I completed the steel targets, I came to the range to shoot at them for the first time, when one of the rangemasters heard that I was the one who put the steel up again with my own 4x4 posts.. He proceeded to tell me about how wrong I did it, and how with HIS system you can quickly change the steel for competitions, and HIS way is MUCH better than the way I did it, and he complained about how he had to take time out of his day to put it the way HE wanted. (He literally went on a pretty good rant for about 10 minutes in the clubhouse.. Pretty ballsy.. Then has the nerve to let him know the next time I work on the targets, he would show me how it's done... YEAH I'LL GET RIGHT ON IT BUDDY!!)

Like for real?!? You're welcome for putting the steel up again in the first place.. If he didn't like how I did it why didn't he just do it himself?

Ever since then (again, this was about 6-7 months ago) shooting there has left a bad taste in my mouth. Their rules are different with each Range officer, and dependent on their mood for the day. Some days you are allowed to use the golf carts, other days they are forbidden with no plausible reasoning behind the decision.. I just don't like some of their policies but it's something you deal with if you want to shoot there I guess..

It's sad that they don't have a system worked out, you'd think that would be a pretty basic necessity... Could you imagine going to a golf course where you had to mow the back nine yourself before you could use it every time you went to play a game with your buddies, then catch an ear full for not mowing it correctly? LOL

All I can say is..."wow"....what a story...

Yeah, some of their RSO's are "over zealous"...:), and I agree, some of them just seem to want to bust balls...like if half your toe is over the red line when it's "safe"...

Their revenue take has got to be significant...
Certainly enough so to buy some AR-500 plates and some 4x4's...
And even pay a couple of welders for a couple of days work to provide the service we're paying for.

And like I said, saying my own targets would be fair game, just put me over the edge...maybe I should bring my own steel, and when they let everyone else and their mother shoot it, I'll start shooting everyone else's paper targets.\

What's the diff?

I just get the feeling they don't give a shit.

And I wish there were somewhere else to shoot long range after this.

I always bring my own steel. I agree the up keep is shitty.

This has not been my experience. I have been bringing my own steel and prior to that Dirt Dart and Ren brought theirs. The R.O.s told other shooters to lay off our steel and this has been the policy every time since.

Occasionally someone will ask if they can shoot at them and I have allowed it but frankly, most of the time we're there, there really aren't many other people there looking to do so or capable of it.

I haven't seen Mike down there in several months and wonder if he's still there at all. He used to do the welding and target maintenance.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year guys!

anyone shooting this weekend?

I wish I would have went today. Ive just got alot going on the past few weekends. I actually have some new loads I want to try as well. QQ you would be proud! Im getting braver with the RL-15! I think OW went today, he said it was getting crazy by the time he left.

Sorry to be kinda short with ya on the phone today OverWatch. I was right in the middle of pulling the trigger on my new TV. I cant believe the amount of money we Americans spend to be entertained by mindless garbage!

Case in point... my wife watching batchelorette.
blush.gif

i swam in the sea of idiots on sunday. can't really say i wanna do it again.

Whats up guys ??? I see you have been enjoying shooting. Unfortunatly I have been overwhelmed with work and not been to the range for months and close to 9 months for Manatee.
Looks like you are still having fun. I will see if I can work it in my schedule but not likely.
Been developing some new products in the 2 stroke world and building some go fast projects.
It wuill be after March before I can make it.

back to work.

Holy Shit! Look who decided to join the party. Don't feel bad Tony. Gotta make that paper!

Go fast projects eh? On water or land?

1/8 mile dragster with a custom TDR 2 stroke engine. Hasn't made it virgin pass yet. I expect to go over 120+ on the initial engine and plans to build a twin turbo engine that should be in excess of 145mph in the 1/8 th. I will post pics when it is done. Almost as fast as a speeding bullet.

next range day is confirmed 31 Jan.

i am headed out saturday first thing. if any one wants to bang some steel

I'm in Lithia and work in Sarasota and would like to join you guys, but either I'm lookin at the wrong year or 1/31 is a Thursday. Are you all retired? If so I still have to work to pay your social security;)

I am sooo not retired. I am taking the day off to avoid the idiots. I have a match to prepare for so i dont want to be messing with the usual bs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: over_watch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sooo not retired. I am taking the day off to avoid the idiots. I have a match to prepare for so i dont want to be messing with the usual bs.

</div></div>

Understood. What class/category will you shoot in at the match? I'm a Noob trying to get into match shooting, so I would like to pick your brain sometime if you have time...beers are on me & thanks!

I stopped by the Club today for the first time and it looks like a nice place to spend some time laying on the ground. I'll prolly try to get back over there again next Friday 2/1 and this time do a little practicing. Anybody doing the F Class match there on Sun 2/10?

Hey Guys!

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get there for the next couple weeks.

What all was going on over there on your last trip OW?

Simple shenanigans. ROs yellingnat everything. I was in and out in about two hours. By 1030 they were stacked up 3-4 deepmfor a table.

I amnheaded down on thursday. And again one weekend day.

I'm going over today a Noon. Hopefully there wont be a line at the Line!

Was there all day yesterday and it was pretty crowded for the weekday.

I was there Friday 2/1 between 12:00 & 15:00 got off 30 rounds at 100 to 400 yards and only saw one other shooter 1st 2 hours. A real nice fella from Lakland with a rem 700 hammering tacks at 300yds. The handgun range was crowded but who cares? I think these guys have a great range. i joined the club and I'll be back next Friday!

There are some real smart asses at the range that RO. I was there Thursday and the one RO, with a Norther accent was great. Really laid back and made the time allot of fun. The other one that was their in the morning was a prick but got better as he woke up I guess. Mike, the 3rd RO of the day, is a bit odd but didn't bother anyone really. I have had worse RO at other ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshot2007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some real smart asses at the range that RO. I was there Thursday and the one RO, with a Norther accent was great. Really laid back and made the time allot of fun. The other one that was their in the morning was a prick but got better as he woke up I guess. Mike, the 3rd RO of the day, is a bit odd but didn't bother anyone really. I have had worse RO at other ranges. </div></div>

Yep, one of the ROs on Friday ragged my a$$ a little, but in all fairness he had the right cuz it was my 1st time out there and I'm still learning the rules...went out to 400 w/o putting out the flag or grabbing a cart.