• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Short rifle, long action - 308 or 30-06?

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
For some reason I absolutely missed the fact that TX now allows game animals to be hunted with a suppressor. I happen to have a take off 30 cal barrel and an old (slick) remington m700 la with a standard bolt face that I've considered making something m24ish out of. The barrel is from a gap crusader currently chambered in 308 win, but I just confirmed that it would need to be re-chambered if I want it on the la m700. Anyhow, I'm considering combining the parts with a hsp take-off stock to make a short barrel (16.5-18") setup that would fit a suppressor easily into a deer stand or riding around in a jeep. The barrel is a 11.25 twist.

Question: Will either cartridge be an advantage over the other in a short barrel setup? Will the extra capacity of the '06 do anything for stabilizing heavier bullets with that twist both full power loads and subsonic loads?

Re: Short rifle, long action - 308 or 30-06?

The 308 to 30-06 rechamber will require some loss at the breech end, about 0.58" IIRC when I looked myself. The 308 is a little fatter and won't quite clean up the chamber by just throwing a 30-06 reamer in it.

I've seen 18.5" 30-06's push a 208 Amax at over 2500fps, that makes a heckuva hammer to hit a hog with. The 11.25tw rate will be borderline on the 208 Amax for stability though. It should work in TX without too much issue but you may end up with a stability issue if it gets much below sea level density altitude.

For subsonic stuff the 30-06 case is a little trickier to make reliably accurate sub loads from due to the increased case capacity unless you want to make some reduced capacity brass or you have a fast enough twist to stabilize the 220RN's and shove them WAY into the case.

I am a big fan of the venerable old case and feel it's largely "undersung" in this day and age but if you're going to balance an 11.25tw with subs mostly then I am hesitant to say "Go For it"

If you line out the subsonic stuff as a primary goal and can be happy with <100yd shots subsonic then I think the 30-06 is a great idea, cut it to 18"-19" and have at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For subsonic stuff the 30-06 case is a little trickier to make reliably accurate sub loads from due to the increased case capacity unless you want to make some reduced capacity brass or you have a fast enough twist to stabilize the 220RN's and shove them WAY into the case.....

If you line out the subsonic stuff as a primary goal and can be happy with <100yd shots subsonic then I think the 30-06 is a great idea, cut it to 18"-19" and have at it. </div></div>

Why not a .30-06 Ackley? Wouldn't that take care of the case size issues?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jarhead_h</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For subsonic stuff the 30-06 case is a little trickier to make reliably accurate sub loads from due to the increased case capacity unless you want to make some reduced capacity brass or you have a fast enough twist to stabilize the 220RN's and shove them WAY into the case.....

If you line out the subsonic stuff as a primary goal and can be happy with <100yd shots subsonic then I think the 30-06 is a great idea, cut it to 18"-19" and have at it. </div></div>

Why not a .30-06 Ackley? Wouldn't that take care of the case size issues? </div></div>

It would fix the issue with setting back the breech end but it would make the subsonic issues worse.

Thanks Bohem. I was thinking the case capacity may be an issue with subs and 30-06. I'm still thinking on the subject and appreciate your thoughts.

Good luck with it, I'm curious to hear what you choose to go with and how things work out. Other than the issues with subsonics past 100yd (it's more a group size issue than anything) I think your plan of a 18-19" 30-06 is an excellent idea.

The best advice I have ever seen as to how to choose between a .308 and a .30-06:

"If you were born before 1960 go with the .30-06" If you were born after 1960 consider the .308."