• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship Shot group at 600 yds

Re: Shot group at 600 yds

I've thought about this before too.

Load a round and get ready to shoot then the wind picks up and you have to wait for a lull again to fire. All the while, the cartridge is in a hot chamber heating up fast, so its got to affect the charge I would think. But I don't see a way around it.

It depends on alot of things. I your target puller does a good job. The target should be down marked and back up in 10 seconds. This is great because this allows you to shoot the same conditions. If he is slow. Then wait until you are ready to shoot then put the round in the chamber and fire.
I shot with Wayne Saturn in Iowa last year. This is one of the tips he told me. Super nice guy and funny as hell. In his shot string he would sit up and bull shit with me for 2 or 3 minutes and then say well got to shoot now. I think he placed 2nd in the match. He has shot a lot of matches in his day.

Good shooting

Here is me shooting a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun. I use the BulletFlight on my I touch. This was dead on again. It called for 16.25 on come ups and 4.1 moa to the left on the wind. Dial the dope and shoot.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UI-L1xAXCic"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UI-L1xAXCic" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Going to try and make the match at Big Pinney on the 14th. I hope the weather is going to be good. Has any shot down there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is me shooting a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun. I use the BulletFlight on my I touch. This was dead on again. It called for 16.25 on come ups and 4.1 moa to the left on the wind. Dial the dope and shoot.</div></div>

Youtube says your video is private...

In the Houston this weekend for the Big Pinney shoot. This should be a good time. Got some snow here. What the hell. Leave Nebraska and still in snow. LOL

We shot at 800 yards with my 2 260s. We used 2 loads. One was the 139s shooting at 2840 out of a 26" barrel 18.5 moa come up and the 130s shooting at 2975 15 moa come up. The 30" barrel shooting at 3050 shooting the 130s 14.75 moa come up. The 130s are shooting about 3.5 moa flatter. Temp was 29 degrees and a 7 mph wind.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wAv9X0iktrE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wAv9X0iktrE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Shot today using match sights at 800 yards at 17x24 steel target. Other boy shooting his 243.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohWk40Oh_hc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohWk40Oh_hc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

dar,
I sometimes wonder if your boys names will be as recognizable as say David Tubb in a few years.....

Certainly seems a possibility.

Keep up the investment in their futures. No telling where it might lead them.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

I'am letting my 8 year old shoot in the match this weekend. I would like to see how he stacks up. I think in this setting he might do decent. I get more of a thrill watching the young ones shoot than me.

In the F-Class my one boy took 1st, rail gun took 2 and I took 3rd. My youngest shot a 185 2X. I think the long day took it out of him. His scores went down after the first string. That is a long day for a 8 year old. But he is excited for the next match.

Just bought a 6.5 grendel and doing my first 600 yd match on Saturday. F class on AR 15 will be a challenge again all the bolts. 130 Scirocco call for 18 moa (19.5 barrel)

The ARs shoot really good. Read the wind and you will do great. I built a Grendel on a bolt action. That should be about right on your come ups. Post how you did. Good Luck, and Shoot striaght

This may be the best thread I've ever read on ANY SITE! Dar, you are a true inspiration for any of us who like to get out there with their boys when many of their friends are off doing other "cooler" things. You are me new hero
smile.gif

After you start getting older. You want to teach the next generation on how to shoot. The online training and the support on the hide has help me accomplish some of my goals.

Funny thing about life. Once you get in your 40s (40s is not old ). The body doen't quite perform like it did in my 20s and 30s. Mentally stronger but the endurance is not the same. Longer to get the motor going in the morning.
Better to teach the next generation. Than think I still have a shot (put me in coach). If you know what I mean.

We shot the match in Van Meter. Was a great time. I think there was around 18 or so F-Class and the 20 to 30 Match (sling shooters) there.
We didn't fair out that day. We shot the wind flags when we should have been shooting the mirage. I shot 3 different rifles. I tried my 6.5 Grendel. It did pretty good.

Well my son got to shoot a match that was register match. He shot his 308 in FTR class. He shot a 190 3X. According to NRA he set the record this time in the Junior Class. The previous record was 183 3X. I will wait and see if this time it will go through.

Shooting at Alliance this weekend and then going PD hunting for the weekend. Should be a blast. The match is shooting 800 900 1000 yards. A lot of wind up there should be interesting. It was last year.

Congratulations to your son for his scores and yourself also for passing the torch, you both will remember the time spent. Was he shooting the 155 IMR 8208 load you worked up, if so any observations.

Goooood thread. I've been reading it over. Picture Andy
Griffith saying this and reeeealy stretching it out:

Gooooood thread! Yeah boy!

Many thanks to all the folks that have so faithfully spent time on this one!!

Had a great time at Alliance. Then went hunting for P dogs. Made my longest shots. Shot 3 dogs at 1350 yards. Shot all day long. We went through about 1000 rounds today. What a blast. This I will do again.

Here is the latest group at 640 yards. This is with the 108 Lapuas out of my 260. A test load I have worked up. I shot them out of the truck bed. The hay field is a little high. I used a NF BR scope with the dot reticle. I would lose the dot in the black. The ones on the right is the first shots. The ones on the left is for the group with no adjustments. There is a total of 20 shots.
IMG00059.jpg

Great thread dar! Am goin through the same ball game as you right now. Gotta love it. Keep up the good shootin

Well my son bet his last record. A 196 8x for the national record. Shot a 308 with 155 Lapuas. The last record was 183

Here is a guy me and my son shoot againist at the F-Class matches. He shoots a lot of IBS. I think IBS is great but when you add the human factor to the gun. You will get different results. If you notice in the video I took. When he gets ready to pull the trigger. He takes his head off the gun and then pulls the trigger. Load development Yes. Shooting No
Here is a link of the video of the shooting. Watch his head before he pulls the trigger.

dar1246

I missed this, I took the day off from the range & was Gutting-out & re-tiling the bathroom .
Was @ 600 yrd. tonight and was told that on Saturdays match. & also told by one of the guys that was in the pits . There was group shot from someone up from AZ. @ the match that was shooting heavy rifle, 6.5-284 & shot a ( .74 5-round group )

Trying sling at 600 yards tomorrow. That so be interesting. I have been in a sling twice. I will have to see how that goes. Thought it would be a good position to learn. My son is trying it also. Then next weekend shooting a match open sights at 1000 yds. ???

Questions for the group. I have been reading this thread with much interest. I have the following question:

1) is the REM .260 a more accurate bullet for shooting from 600-1000 yards? I have been wanting to build a .260 for some time.

2) What is considered a good group for 600 yard .308 FTR class? I am new to FTR and shooting a .308 Savage with 175gr Sierra, WIN case, and Varget powder. Can anyone offer any loads that my MOD 12 Savage may shoot well for 600 and 1000?

Thanks

I don't think the 260 is more accurate. I think it bucks the wind more. The 308 you will need to watch the wind calls more. Some shooters that shoot the 308 can hold a great group. They watch the wind conditions more than the 260 shooter. Comes downs to BCs.

In FTR class. I would think shooting local matches. Anything under 1 moa should win. If you can hold all 20 shots under that. Going to larger matches. Where you get the best of the best. You are now also counting Xs. At 600 yards I would strive to hit a 1/2 moa. At a 1000 I would strive to hit 1 moa. This would be base on weather conditions.

I have not mess with any Savage rifles. I shoot most Rem or Customs actions. So the load data I like in these actions is 155 laupas for the 308 and 139 laupas for the 260.
Good shooting

I checked the NRA records and they finally posted my son on the site for the Junior National Record. He shot the FTR 308 class 20 shots at 600 yards and scored 196 8X. Pretty Cool. NRA records

Shot a match today. It was high power prone in sling at 1000. With a scope I scored 176 2 X not good. And iron sights 118 (sucked the big tit on this one). Had to shoot with glasses and they kept fogging up. My hold in sling not the best.
Temp was 98, heat index was 108, hum 78%., no shade, wind at shooter was 12mph, target wind 8 mph at the 9. The wind was not bad but shooting under a coat for 30 minutes got a little hot.
I think sling is something good to learn. But I don't think I will stay shooting this for long. Once I start shooting in the 190s and above it will be time to move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But I don't think I will stay shooting this for long. Once I start shooting in the 190s and above it will be time to move on.</div></div>

Hah! Good luck with that. Once you start shooting well, and consistently, it gets that much more addicting. Just a little over 190s, and you can make Master. A little more... and then High Master. A little more... maybe a clean.

It never ends
wink.gif

You are probably right about that. The one thing I like most about this VS F-Class matches. There is a lot more of these a year and in more states. The F-Class matches are few and far between.

Correction: F-Class *only* matches are few and far between.

Most places I've shot, and most places I've seen match reports from, allow F-Class and Conventional Prone to shoot side-by-side. There may or may not be enough F-Class shooters to have a class of their own or break out F/Open and F/TR, but it seems fairly rare that a range would not let you shoot F-Class in a Prone match. If they did that without good reason (a special championship or such), I'd be bending the ear of the match director, and then the state HP director, in that order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That powder if fairly slow if you are talking about .260 Remington. Try H4350 IMHO

Jerry </div></div> That powder works for some of my friends but H4831 SC has done the best for me, I'm getting 2825FPS with 45 grs 142 SMK and win 7-08 brass out of a 28" BBL It works fine for me

these are my 2 targets of the last session, on the left 600y on the right 300 m..... wind was maximum 1 m/s pretty constant, overcast with a stable light...

I'm using an HTR, scope S&B 3-12x50 at 12x with P4 reticle, 175 SMK and lapua case improved from 30.06 sprinfield, trim lenght 51.70 mm N140 43.7 gr FGM 210M..... average velocity 804 m/s SD 2.5 concentricity less than 0.0001
so very good load for me.

DSCN2748.jpg

Here is something new tonight. Shot at 600 yards with the Laser Genetics ND 5 at 600 yards. First round hit on the steel.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eFBv5XhiYgw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eFBv5XhiYgw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>