• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Should I Switch Scopes..Hunting to Tactical?

mag1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2012
NJ
I am new to this forum, rifles, and scopes. I have been reading and learning alot from this forum. Thanks!
I got deal on a remington 700 .308 26" from DSG that I was going to use for hunting. Next I bought a new Zeiss conquest 3-9 x 40mm Rapid-Z 600 to put on it. Perfect set-up for hunting here in NJ. So after some research, I upgraded the stock. I liked what I read about the AICS chassis system. I bought one. To make it more confusing, I decided not to use this for a hunting rifle. I just want a nice precision rifle that with experience and training, I will be comfortable shooting out to 100-700 yards here in NJ.
SO looks like the Zeiss is a hunting scope. I would like to change to a more "tactical" precision setup. Rifle will be going to ga precision as soon as I can get a hold of them. I am going to ask some questions about that in another thread.
My question would be, do I keep the Zeiss I have, or sell it and buy a scope more suitable for a tactical/precision setup, such as a Leup Mark 4, Nightforce, etc?
Thanks for the help.

Re: Should I Switch Scopes..Hunting to Tactical?

What is it that makes a scope 'tactical'?? What makes the Zeiss unsuitable for 'tactical' use. Does it have an aiming device in the scope? Can you make adjustments to compensate for range? Sounds like you might be hung up on the terminology of the game.

Assuming this rifle is going to be used mainly as a tactical / target rifle, my awnser would most definetly be yes. Sell the scope and put the money toward the best glass you can afford. As they say in life "buy once cry once". I say this only because I believe your current scope only has a duplex reticle, which can be utilized but is not ideal. Sounds to me like if you are getting serious about long range precision shooting, aka sending your rifle to GAP, then it is time to put a scope ment for the task at hand on top of her. There are many optics to choose from and many have been thoroughly discussed on here, so choosing one is really up to you.

If its the Z600 it has a 'hold-off' hunting reticle with a rangefinder in it.

You *have* a scope that will suffice for now. Buy ammo and learn to shoot. Then research scopes and find out what you really want / need.

Well, the z600 is a bdc reticle, and I believe the model you have has capped 1/4moa turrets. You should be looking for something that has mil or moa based reticle. it would behoove you to pick a scope that has matching turrets that are dedicated as target style, possibly exposed (although not absolutely necessary).

There are plenty of suggestions that could be made but without knowing your budget... Pick a range you are comfortable with spending (including the value of trading/selling the conquest. That scope is a great buy for the money, but its reticle will not be useful in precision shooting and will handicap your development.

After deciding on a budget, you need to decide whether you want to go Mil or Moa. If your not sure read the optics sticky up top and use the search function to read a few threads about the differences. Since your new, it may be beneficial to learn both systems. For future, there are far more mil based reticles, many of them with moa turrets, with matching MOA being the least common. In the end it really doesn't matter, but again matching will make things much easier. Understanding both systems will give you a wider variety of options.

You also need to settle on whether or not you would like a FFP or SFP scope. Again, much if it is personal, but your use should help determine its importance. If your unfamiliar with the differences, the optics sticky up top will help as well as the search bar.

Lastly, you need to pick a magnification range. You mentioned precision shooting... Do you mean paper for scores or grouping? Mag range is a very personal thing, but what you plan on shooting should help with a ballpark.

If you are able to narrow some of that information down it will help others make suggestions for you and give you a better idea of what you're looking for.

Welcome to a fun sport that will soon consume all of your time and money
(your second wife)
Best of luck to you-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its the Z600 it has a 'hold-off' hunting reticle with a rangefinder in it.

You *have* a scope that will suffice for now. Buy ammo and learn to shoot. Then research scopes and find out what you really want / need. </div></div>

Woops, missed the z600 part.

Yep it looks like you are crossing the invisible line many of us crossed years ago.

The Zeiss 3-9 is a hunting scope.

A FFP tactical style scope will suit you much better for long range use where versatility is a must, holdover, holdoff and lead on any magnification which is not the case for a SFP scope. Spend enough time researching to make a educated decision befor you get the CC out.

Hint... The new Bushnell 4-30 in the group buy forum will be a top contender for 2013 in the bang for the buck category. You could spend anywhere from $250 to $4000+ on a FFP scope. Diminishing returns accelerate past $1500 or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is it that makes a scope 'tactical'?? What makes the Zeiss unsuitable for 'tactical' use. Does it have an aiming device in the scope? Can you make adjustments to compensate for range? Sounds like you might be hung up on the terminology of the game. </div></div>

Just asking a question, and not hung up on the word tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mag1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is it that makes a scope 'tactical'?? What makes the Zeiss unsuitable for 'tactical' use. Does it have an aiming device in the scope? Can you make adjustments to compensate for range? Sounds like you might be hung up on the terminology of the game. </div></div>

Just asking a question, and not hung up on the word tactical.
</div></div>

Long and short of it is this. When the funds become available, buy a scope ment for the job. While I agree your current scope is capable , it is not ideal. The scope you have does not have turrets ment for dialing up, down, up ,down, etc... You can use your holdovers, but it will only be usefull at certain distances. There is a reason you donn't see many rifles on here with hunting scopes if you know what i mean.

I agree with SniperCJ. Buy some ammo and start shooting, then you'll know what you need (mil/mil, MOA/MOA, FFP, SFP, magnification, etc.) and want and can make an educated decision and not have to buy again. Many great options available at reasonable prices and more should be available after Shot Show !

Thanks guys, gonna list the Zeiss for sale.I am in no rush, just like to have a plan. And this time stick to it!
I read a bunch of scope stickys, and kinda get it. No competition for me right now, just shooting some paper for my own satisfaction.
I will have a total of $1500 to spend after the Zeiss sells, maybe a little more.
Mount and rings I already know what to go with and I have the money for that. I sold a bunch of pistols that I didn't shoot for this rifle fund.
Thanks and still listening to your suggestions! They are all perfect and make total sense.
Get some ammo and shoot, I definitely will. And I am still reading and reading, it never hurts!

When I started my precision rifle venture 6 months ago, I just wanted to punch paper too. However, once I got the rifle and ideal scope dialed in, punching paper became easy. I have recently started shooting 500 yd FTR prone matches once a month at my range. Had 45 guys at the match last Saturday. Also shooting steel silhouettes out to 800 yds and soon plan to stretch that out to 1200. Great fun ! Good Luck with your new adventure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sib1948</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I started my precision rifle venture 6 months ago, I just wanted to punch paper too. However, once I got the rifle and ideal scope dialed in, punching paper became easy. I have recently started shooting 500 yd FTR prone matches once a month at my range. Had 45 guys at the match last Saturday. Also shooting steel silhouettes out to 800 yds and soon plan to stretch that out to 1200. Great fun ! Good Luck with your new adventure. </div></div>

Prob will happen to me too. Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep it looks like you are crossing the invisible line many of us crossed years ago.

A FFP tactical style scope will suit you much better for long range use where versatility is a must, holdover, holdoff and lead on any magnification which is not the case for a SFP scope. Spend enough time researching to make a educated decision befor you get the CC out.

Hint... The new Bushnell 4-30 in the group buy forum will be a top contender for 2013 in the bang for the buck category. You could spend anywhere from $250 to $4000+ on a FFP scope. Diminishing returns accelerate past $1500 or so. </div></div>

The group buy closed on the 18th. Check the used optics section here they have a ton of great scopes listed daily. Sounds like you have the same issue as me, do I pickup a viper pst or hold out and spend more on a ss or ior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baranx4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep it looks like you are crossing the invisible line many of us crossed years ago.

Hint... The new Bushnell 4-30 in the group buy forum will be a top contender for 2013 in the bang for the buck category. You could spend anywhere from $250 to $4000+ on a FFP scope. Diminishing returns accelerate past $1500 or so. </div></div>

The group buy closed on the 18th. Check the used optics section here they have a ton of great scopes listed daily. Sounds like you have the same issue as me, do I pickup a viper pst or hold out and spend more on a ss or ior. </div></div>

Thanks I'm looking Everyday

I was in the same spot as you about a year ago. I too bought a remington 700 .308. I immediatley bought a AICS stock and a Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 with H-59 Reticle. I have since put over 1000 rounds through the tube. The bushnell has been the perfect scope for my needs. I am able to see hits on paper out to 500 yds. For the money, I think it should be one you check out.

If you are going to be moving from range to range you will be happier with a scope that has tactical knobs and clicks. With a hunting scope most people zero for one range and use holdovers beyond that range.

Another option (not ideal but worth considering) is to update your turrets to match your ballistics. You can get custom dial up turrets from either Ziess or Kenton.

I believe they can mark them in yardage or in MOA for both elevation and windage.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 on a custom 325WSM rifle and can shoot comfortable and reliably out to those distances with the custom turrets.

Again, not the perfect solution but an option.

I put Leupold MKIV 6-20x50 M5 turret on my long range Sauer 202 Wolverine!

I think open turrets make it "tactical".

It depends how deep is your bank account.