• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Sick of rust?

S1erra1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2011
Nth Qld Australia
CERAKOTE IT!

Having a chat over a couple of drinks with a friend tonight and I remembered a test I started almost 4 months back.
Got a couple of steel tube off cuts (not sure what grade) and coated half in Midnight blue H-series Cerakote and left the other half bare.
Threw them in a bucket with 3ltrs of water and about 5 tablespoons of salt, let them sit for 2 weeks, replaced the water and salt then 2 weeks later I tipped the bucket out down the back yard and walked away (that was just shy of 3 months back)

Anyway, once I remembered we went digging tonight (seems the dog had reason to be making holes nearby and had almost completely covered them) rinsed them off and this is the result.

P1050792_zps08c92489.jpg

P1050793_zps49c042c3.jpg

Pretty bloody impressive if you ask me, Lot's of scales growing and some light pitting starting on the untreated side and as you can see, nothing on the coated end, it is looking a bit discoloured in some spots but it hasn't let go, even where it's been scratched.