• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Single stage press for up to 338LM; Forster Co-Ax vs Harrell Sportsman

Which single stage press would you choose for precision reloading up to 338 LM?

• Total voters

MotoSinge

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2019
Hello. I'm reloading several calibers up to 338 LM and looking for a single stage press for sizing and seating (I de-prime and prime with hand tools). I'm looking at either a Forster Co-Ax or Harrell Sportsman press. Any opinions of these two presses, particularly the amount of space available when seating 338 LM. Thanks.

Forster is a little short for Magnums. You should consider the Frankford Arsenal Co-Ax. It has more room for the bullet seating.

I voted "Other".
Redding Big Boss II or Big Boss. I love my Co-Ax but it is a cramped (opening between jaws and die slot) when I load 300WM with 230 grain bullets so I don't think you'd be happy loading 338LM on it. Also, the Co-Ax could have an issue using a micrometer seater due to the way the handle is made.
I loaded 338LM on a RCBS Rock Chucker when I had the TRG but it wasn't ideal.

Reactions: joemusso
Thanks for the advice to date. I’m going to expand my research on presses a bit more and look at Frankford and RCBS. Roughly what amount of travel/press space is advised for comfortably seating a 338 LM without having to pre-feed the bullet into the die whilst placing the case? I’m trying to get a handle on ideal ergonomics before committing my cash. Thanks again.

Forster is a little short for Magnums. You should consider the Frankford Arsenal Co-Ax. It has more room for the bullet seating.
No issues with loading/seating .338LM on my Co-Ax. And I seat them long. I do hold the bullet on the case as I put it into the shell holder though. I does get close to the seating die when installing it into the press. But there's still room below the seating die after the case is in the holder. It's easy once you get the hang of holding the bullet on the top of the case as you put the it into the holder.

Really, the only thing I can't load in my Co-Ax is the BMG case.

Last edited:
338LM in my Forster Co-Ax is fine with Whidden micrometer dies.

@6MT @phlegethon - Thanks for sharing your experience. What is the height of the opening on the Co-Ax? Thanks.
When I gave my experience and choice earlier I failed to think about the In-Line Fabrication replacement links that will make for a taller space between die slot and jaws. That would likely be a great option. The leverage on the Co-AX, IMO, is second to none for a reloading press.

When I gave my experience and choice earlier I failed to think about the In-Line Fabrication replacement links that will make for a taller space between die slot and jaws. That would likely be a great option. The leverage on the Co-AX, IMO, is second to none for a reloading press.
I use the links made by Josh in California. They provide a huge amount of clearance compared to the factory links:

clearence-arm2-jpg.119163

Josh Badeau
909-246-7058
(call or text)
Email [email protected]

This is a 300-grain Match King loaded into a .338 Lapua (not my set-up):

Forster-Co-Ax-review-for-sale-reloading-best-press-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. After some further research, I think I'm going to go with the Prazipress 140. It's a pricey, but top-quality and has a good size opening for larger calibers.

Reactions: sinister