• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing SNEAK PEEK: Direct replacement bolts completed for Tikka Actions.

Looks to be about the same size as any other Tikka bolt.

Your basically 100% correct. There's really nothing to fix on a Tikka bolt IMO other than buying one by itself is about impossible and I don't much care for Sako style extractors on twin lug guns. Other than those two things, they are great.

I'm not trying to reinvent wheels here. . .

It's a disease...

Kalli's G8. 650 to the tire. You should see her Mini Cooper S. That thing is baller!

View attachment 7490434

My GTO street car. E85'd and Whippled 421 LSX I built. Just put a newer Whipple 3 liter on it. Were hoping for 1300's to the tire on this one.

View attachment 7490460

Aaaaaannnddd, HoOdRaT. The track car. An 8.3L Whipple on methanol plopped on top of a 5.3LS. Its a freakshow. Just got the zoomies done last week. Heads back to the dyno here in a couple of weeks.

View attachment 7490461

View attachment 7490463

View attachment 7490469

View attachment 7490464

View attachment 7490466

View attachment 7490467
Merry Christmas Chad!

Not only do you have super hot cars, but they are Pontiacs besides! Meaty, Beaty, big and bouncy!

Got the first kill with it.

Now if I could just get lucky with the stick bow before the year runs out.

You should link up with Strek and pair them with his bolt handle.

I will never shoot a tikka without one now.
Why would he pair up with Sterk when he can create any design he wants and keep it in house ?

Last edited:
Reactions: AKMarty
Well for one, not to shit on someone else's design. It was just an idea.

I think the thing we need to keep in focus here is that there really isn't a "problem" to solve when it comes to a Tikka T3 bolt/fire control assembly. That homework was done long ago and they (Tikka) did a really good job.

If you happen to like someone else's bolt handle assembly more, buy it and install it. It's an easy problem to solve.

We did ours in a simple manner just because I like simple and with the thing straight out, it makes inletting a stock more straightforward and I don't have the risk of eating a knob in my knuckle during recoil. The extra 3/8" of an inch that I have to move to cycle it is a very small consequence.

Were done machining the 308 size extractors. I'm running magnums now. Hope to have those done in a day or two then they all go to heat treat. I got pulled off this job for some other pressing items but were on it again.

Not too much longer gents.

Thanks.

C.

Chad,

@LongRifles Inc.

Do you have any thoughts on running 300NM out of a tikka action? I know you mentioned maybe doing a lapua bolt face.

Being able to convert a tikka over to 300nm would be really really cool and cost efdective if the action and inletting could support it. I bet you would sell a ton of those bolts.

Chad,

@LongRifles Inc.

Do you have any thoughts on running 300NM out of a tikka action? I know you mentioned maybe doing a lapua bolt face.

Being able to convert a tikka over to 300nm would be really really cool and cost efdective if the action and inletting could support it. I bet you would sell a ton of those bolts.

After some additional thought, I think this comes down to a choice between "should" vs "can". The M700 action is known to be plagued with issues when chambered in modern .590" bolt face cartridges. A guy can do it, but the brass life has shown to suffer because the action basically elongates and snaps back every time you fire it. Those receivers are 1.350" in dia. Tikka stuff is narrower which means the wall thicknesses are even less.

My fear is that it would create a series of problems that would end up with the whole effort becoming counterproductive.

After some additional thought, I think this comes down to a choice between "should" vs "can". The M700 action is known to be plagued with issues when chambered in modern .590" bolt face cartridges. A guy can do it, but the brass life has shown to suffer because the action basically elongates and snaps back every time you fire it. Those receivers are 1.350" in dia. Tikka stuff is narrower which means the wall thicknesses are even less.

My fear is that it would create a series of problems that would end up with the whole effort becoming counterproductive.
That is a bummer. I noticed the COAL may be an issue as well unless you single load.

Any ideas of alternate LR calibers that it could support like 30Nos or 300RUM?

Are you going to offer fluted options? Would be nice to get a fluted one and keep the OEM for back up.

Are you going to offer fluted options? Would be nice to get a fluted one and keep the OEM for back up.
He said he was in an earlier post.
LRI.JPG