• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

Re: SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

I'm going to take a shot answering this using second hand info from what seem to be reliable sources. Also keep in mind that of the two scopes you are comparing, only the SS is FFP. To me that would break any tie between the two but here's what I'll say about your specific questions.....

Glass- from what I understand NF aren't known for unbelievable glass quality. I'm not saying that the glass isn't good, just that there don't seem to be regarded as top tier glass, ie S&B and hendsold. The SS HD should be as good, maybe better, probably not worse than NF.

Robustness- My SS 10x HD was rather robust. The turrets had very sold all brass internals and the clicks were tactile & audible. I don't think that it is as robust as a NF(Best in the business?) but the SS should hold up under almost all conditions.

Repeatability- History says that the SS line are very repeatable. I contacted a gentleman here on the hide that does a good amount of head to head reviews and is very respected here. He mentioned that the SS 10x HD that he owned tracked and was as repeatable as any scope that he had used. And he's seen it all

Overall quality - Just like any NF, I'd be shocked that you wouldn't be impressed with the SS quality.

In short, it seems to me like the New SS 5-20x HD is a poors mans NF. The NF is possibly a better scope, but how much better? It may be a game of diminishing returns.

Disclaimer: I've never used a NF but I'm repeating info that I've learned here that came from seemingly respected, knowledgable people. If you disagree with anything that I've mentioned above please don't flame me. I'm open for discussion and being corrected if need be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard LL say in the video it compares to the Vortex which I have never seen or looked through. The vortex is also cheaper than the sales prices of this scope which is not encouraging. </div></div>

I am pretty sure he was refering to the 5-20x50 Vortex Razor, which is actually $500 more than the the SS 5-20x50 ($1000 more when you consider the discount). Be encouraged...

Judging from how my 3-9x42 compares to other optics I've looked through, I would <span style="font-style: italic">guess</span> the 5-20x50 will be just as good, if not better, than the NF 3-15x50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to take a shot answering this using second hand info from what seem to be reliable sources.

Glass- from what I understand NF aren't known for unbelievable glass quality. I'm not saying that the glass isn't good, just that there don't seem to be regarded as top tier glass, ie S&B and hendsold. The SS HD should be as good, maybe better, probably not worse than NF.

Robustness- My SS 10x HD was rather robust. The turrets had very sold all brass internals and the clicks were tactile & audible. I don't think that it is as robust as a NF(Best in the business?) but the SS should hold up under almost all conditions.

Repeatability- History says that the SS line are very repeatable. I contacted a gentleman here on the hide that does a good amount of head to head reviews and is very respected here. He mentioned that the SS 10x HD that he owned tracked and was as repeatable as any scope that he had used. And he's seen it all

Overall quality - Just like any NF, I'd be shocked that you wouldn't be impressed with the SS quality.

In short, it seems to me like the New SS 5-20x HD is a poors mans NF. The NF is probably a better scope, but how much better? It may be a game of diminishing returns.

Disclaimer: I've never used a NF but I'm repeating info that I've learned here that came from seemingly respected, knowledgable people. If you disagree with anything that I've mentioned above please don't flame me. I'm open for discussion and being corrected it need be.

</div></div>

I cant speak for this scope, but the 1-4 HD SS version is on par with the 1-4 S&B and NF. Both the S&B and NF are past 1200 dollars, and the Swfa SS is only 800.00 and its a true 1x scope. just my 2 cents.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am pretty sure he was refering to the 5-20x50 Vortex Razor, which is actually $500 more than the the SS 5-20x50 ($1000 more when you consider the discount).</div></div>

This is how I took LL's review as well.

LL, care to clear this up?

Here is a clarification...

When I said Vortex, I did indeed mean the Razor, I have not used any of the PST line from them other than the 1-4X... so my comment was to directly compare it to the Razor, which as someone said is $500 more.

In my experience with the SS-HD they are very robust. I continued to use the scopes as seen in the very first SS video I did. They were used most notably when people's scopes would go down during a class, these were the loaner scopes. They always tracked well and were repeatable despite switching them from rifle to rifle.

In comparison to NF, when you get the same feature set, specifically the FFP F1 version of the NF Line, you are now talking much more money. Comparing the NF SFP to their FFP is a jump in cost alone, so you can understand going from this to the FFP when talking NF. I personally think NF makes the best scope for the money, dollar for dollar for what you pay to what you get, NF is really great. That said, I think they may lose that billing to SWFA especially if the rumors are true about a zs. For now they are certainly sharing dollar for dollar winner it in my mind. Caveated, i am basing longevity on the 10XHD and the 3-9x, however it appears to be tracking with both in terms of toughness.

Overall, this is a fantastic scope for the money, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, at the retail price point. It's solid, its repeatable, it has great optics, including the design that gives you the great eye relief and eye box are excellent, very well thought out, so to me it is a winner. I like it is essentially a traditional scope design, and not a distorted one like some other scopes out there... that is one of highlights for me with the NF, which the SS-HD repeats.

Asking people to compare or comment on this is going to be tough, there are only very few of us out there with these... I know of only maybe 3 including mine that are in people's hands, but there could be more. If there are, I don't know who they are, I never asked.

This is solid, worth the money, and a pound for pound contender with any scope of it type out there, and by that I mean scopes that are costing people up wards to a $1000 more. SWFA explained a little of their thinking on this, and I can assure you, the reputation of this forum to put scopes through the ringer, was front and center. Not just for me, but for all of you out there, they know you'll speak up if they are not right, and I feel they hit the mark on this one. They made sure it would pass the SH test before it hit the streets, and by that on all points, eye box, repeatability, toughness, optical quality, and hard use.

Are their some things I would change, sure, but it's really just cosmetic, an example I would like a nub or something, even their cat tail in a shorter version to adjust the power ring. Of course along with most, I like zero stops, I understand it may get addressed, but really with 10 mils per turn not necessary. That is it, a way to turn the power ring easier.. wow, big deal.

I like it, I will continue to use it, it ranks up there with my top three, which will probably have to change to SS-HD, NF, S&B, and Hensoldt for my top favorites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Overall, this is a fantastic scope for the money, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, at the retail price point.

This is solid, worth the money, and a pound for pound contender with any scope of it type out there, and by that I mean scopes that are costing people up wards to a $1000 more.

I like it, I will continue to use it, it ranks up there with my top three, which will probably have to change to SS-HD, NF, S&B, and Hensoldt for my top favorites. </div></div>

Wow....I'm even more excited to get mine now!

Good info Frank !
laugh.gif

I just put in the order for mine
laugh.gif
cant wait. I also got the med TPS rings ordered. Should be a good combo.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are their some things I would change, sure, but it's really just cosmetic, an example I would like a nub or something, even their cat tail in a shorter version to adjust the power ring. </div></div>
This is one of the few minor things I would like to see as well. I just cut 2 strips of bicycle tire tube and put 'em on there to give the mag. ring a little more grip.
IMG_5004.jpg

Waiting for the rings. 29 days isn't going to make or brake the time. Don't really need it but if they are like the 3x9. Then time to buy.

I also was going to wait for the rings. I just dont see the 10,000 mark being very realistic though. I'm excited to ditch my falcon for this!

No fast focus eyepiece? That's surprising as my old 16X SS had one. Do the new HD line of SS scopes have the same locking focus as well?

Man every time you type something you blow me away. You are very good with the written word. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to expand on your video and description of the scope.

I had already ordered a new ss hd 5x20 before I asked my question but was getting buyers remorse. I was going to cancel and buy an NF 3x15 ffp mil/mil but the SS scope saves me $1200 bones.

Im going to try it out and see how I like it. Thanks again for giving us all a great deal on a nice scope.

Are the reticles completely lit of just the center? Is the light red?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a clarification...

When I said Vortex, I did indeed mean the Razor, I have not used any of the PST line from them other than the 1-4X... so my comment was to directly compare it to the Razor, which as someone said is $500 more.

In my experience with the SS-HD they are very robust. I continued to use the scopes as seen in the very first SS video I did. They were used most notably when people's scopes would go down during a class, these were the loaner scopes. They always tracked well and were repeatable despite switching them from rifle to rifle.

In comparison to NF, when you get the same feature set, specifically the FFP F1 version of the NF Line, you are now talking much more money. Comparing the NF SFP to their FFP is a jump in cost alone, so you can understand going from this to the FFP when talking NF. I personally think NF makes the best scope for the money, dollar for dollar for what you pay to what you get, NF is really great. That said, I think they may lose that billing to SWFA especially if the rumors are true about a zs. For now they are certainly sharing dollar for dollar winner it in my mind. Caveated, i am basing longevity on the 10XHD and the 3-9x, however it appears to be tracking with both in terms of toughness.

Overall, this is a fantastic scope for the money, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, at the retail price point. It's solid, its repeatable, it has great optics, including the design that gives you the great eye relief and eye box are excellent, very well thought out, so to me it is a winner. I like it is essentially a traditional scope design, and not a distorted one like some other scopes out there... that is one of highlights for me with the NF, which the SS-HD repeats.

Asking people to compare or comment on this is going to be tough, there are only very few of us out there with these... I know of only maybe 3 including mine that are in people's hands, but there could be more. If there are, I don't know who they are, I never asked.

This is solid, worth the money, and a pound for pound contender with any scope of it type out there, and by that I mean scopes that are costing people up wards to a $1000 more. SWFA explained a little of their thinking on this, and I can assure you, the reputation of this forum to put scopes through the ringer, was front and center. Not just for me, but for all of you out there, they know you'll speak up if they are not right, and I feel they hit the mark on this one. They made sure it would pass the SH test before it hit the streets, and by that on all points, eye box, repeatability, toughness, optical quality, and hard use.

Are their some things I would change, sure, but it's really just cosmetic, an example I would like a nub or something, even their cat tail in a shorter version to adjust the power ring. Of course along with most, I like zero stops, I understand it may get addressed, but really with 10 mils per turn not necessary. That is it, a way to turn the power ring easier.. wow, big deal.

I like it, I will continue to use it, it ranks up there with my top three, which will probably have to change to SS-HD, NF, S&B, and Hensoldt for my top favorites. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SWFA_SS_5-20x50.jpg

</div></div>

The design of the parallax adjustment turret and the illumination control turret are drastically different than the original picture.....see page 1 of this thread. The narrower turret that sticks out past the illumination control has detracted from the great lines of the original design. Anyone know if it serves a useful purpose? It is very strange for a company to promote a product for sale and then post a modified product just before release date.........makes me wonder if the scope in its final configuration has actually been tested. any input from anyone on this? Also just noticed that there does not appear to be markings for yardage on the paralax adjustment turret.........it has to be there doesnt it?

I thought I read that it might be a extra compartment for the Illumination battery. Not a 100% though so don't take me 100%.

Yes, it's just a new lid that holds another battery. My prototype only had a plain flat cover.

Hey Jon, I will trade you my nice new "BAD ASS BATTERY COVER" for your "plain-o" prototype slotted battery cover...

Just let me know!!

DK

2nds on that.

I don't use the illumination enough to warrant carrying an extra battery with the scope at all times. I had asked if the scope comes with that as an accessory/option but never got a response from SWFA. i'm sure they are pretty tied up with orders, questions, and normal business work.

If it only comes with the "newer" style cover, I'll probably make a plain flat one on the lathe to match the original photos by Jon and SWFA.

Mike

If you tool up to make a flat cover, let us know. I'd rather keep it clean. I'll never need the extra compartment either.

I peraonally don't care which battery cover mine has...

Look at swfa web site. I understand it is a attacment for a extra batt. Contact Swfa if you have questions.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the stock status on these?</div></div>

It's mentioned in the thread several times, but basically they are expected to be shipping in 30 days or so. Maybe a little less US Customs be willing. They ordered a bunch for the first batch, so right now all orders will be shipped when the first batch arrives. Apparently they saw the possible demand and ordered a few more than 50
laugh.gif

I want to thank Frank and SWFA for this great deal ! I have ordered from SWFA before and have been pleased with their great service .

david

As much as I hate social media, I activated an account and gave 1 more "like". Total now up to 5409.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45user</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how long do we have for making 10000 likes?
Thanks,
</div></div>

SWFA said the $500 off coupon code was good for 30 days after it was activated. So you basically have a month to wait and see if it can get to 10k

If I understand correctly, the $500.00 off coupon is good until midnight on June, 17th, 2011. We need to hit 10,000 before then, to have the $500.00 + rings code open, then that code will be active for 30 days. Correct me if I'm wrong?

That is correct. Each code is only good for 30 days from when it is opened.

DK

Thanks guys.
Likes count slowed down quite a bit...
Might have to just order one now.

Might just as well wait if you can. I put a reminder on my e-mail calendar and cell phone calendar to check on June 16th. Am in no hurry, and if I can get a set of rings too for the same price, why not. The scopes may not even be shipping by then anyway. If at the end there is no chance of getting over the 10,000 "likes" mark, just order for the $500.00 off.

I sure hope they come with the small battery cover like all the early pics show, I REALLY don't like the big cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might just as well wait if you can. I put a reminder on my e-mail calendar and cell phone calendar to check on June 16th. Am in no hurry, and if I can get a set of rings too for the same price, why not. The scopes may not even be shipping by then anyway. If at the end there is no chance of getting over the 10,000 "likes" mark, just order for the $500.00 off. </div></div>

+1 This is what I am thinking too.

Just sold a gun this weekend. When I have MO in hand I'm ordering.

I am buying one later on in the month of June. It really sucks that I have to unload some other goods to buy this thing. Fucking economy. I can't even sell the shit I am willing to part with; folks can't afford it... Pawn shop here I come (I'll bring the K-Y). I'll feel much better when I receive my new SSHD.

Thanks everyone for asking all of my questions for me. I was wondering which vortex the SS was compared to. I really appreciate Lowlight's evaluation and recommendation.

Steve D. the HP

I just ordered one. It'll be very ironic if this scope comes in before the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Mil scopes I ordered back in March of 2010!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsopa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered one. It'll be very ironic if this scope comes in before the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Mil scopes I ordered back in March of 2010!</div></div> I'm on a waiting list or two for one of these. TBH, I think I'm gonna end up with one of these instead. It sounds like it'll be well worth the little extra $$$. The knobs look a bit bit, and I'd really prefer to the vortex reticle though...

OK, created a FB account and completed the I like it vote - I think. I'm not at all FB savvy, but I think i did it correctly. It does look like a nice scope. Would look even nicer at <span style="font-style: italic">$1000</span>!
grin.gif

What in the world happened to the "Likes"???
From what I saw it hit 5000 back on the 18th, and since then just a few hundred more...

Yup, the count has slowed alot. Averaging about 100 per day. We need double that..sometimes the count drops by 2-4. I don't think it will make 10K. I will be ordering one tonight when i get home.

Went ahead and bit the bullet on this. Lowlight's review pushed me over the edge.