• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniping In The Ukraine

Its quite interesting to see what is being developed

Lobaev is working on a semi auto 375CT ,its not a whole new project as far as i know its an evolution of something he was developing while he worked in UAE .
But most interesting is a new scope they are developing ground up as an alternative to NF

photo_2023-07-14_10-44-22.jpg

photo_2023-07-14_12-50-26 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Longshot231
Its quite interesting to see what is being developed

Lobaev is working on a semi auto 375CT ,its not a whole new project as far as i know its an evolution of something he was developing while he worked in UAE .
But most interesting is a new scope they are developing ground up as an alternative to NF

View attachment 8201961
View attachment 8201962

That thing walked about 3" on that bench.

Yes they had some issues with Lobaev in .375 CT , pierced primer and damaged firing pin, Spare bolts with some improvments are shipped out to first gen users as it not an isolated failure from what i can read.

The sniper pair whos picts and videos i posted used and SSG and Lobaev in .338LM and 375 CT , but vere gifted a Desert Tech 375CT and Bespoke gun in 338LM by the cowdsourcing associtations , as you can see lots of western gear.

But reading the post seems that since the Ukrainan offensive most shooting has been at 600-900m

Yes they had some issues with Lobaev in .375 CT , pierced primer and damaged firing pin, Spare bolts with some improvments are shipped out to first gen users as it not an isolated failure from what i can read.

The sniper pair whos picts and videos i posted used and SSG and Lobaev in .338LM and 375 CT , but vere gifted a Desert Tech 375CT and Bespoke gun in 338LM by the cowdsourcing associtations , as you can see lots of western gear.

But reading the post seems that since the Ukrainan offensive most shooting has been at 600-900m
Absent significant elevation changes in the land, it’s hard to have an unobstructed view of the 1-2.5 k distance.

More than anything they mention that extensive minefields in some sectors confine sniping to 600-900m Ukrainian square farm field

You really try to bring up incompetence with photo of a one soldier that gives a mere perspection of muzzle pointing at a friendly? And like I give a shit if they point at each other? Fucking dumbnut.

Getting a conscript army to line up in formation is already a feat in itself.

Anyone here can spot countless ways they fuck up, I guess it makes you feel special to point them out? Ruskies use zipties to secure their TQs, that information does not mean much on its own, you do not need IQ points to be lethal with a gun and weapon systems, that is the point of conscript army.

This war irritates me also a huge amount and I wish it was over too, no need to cry in every thread about it.

Can we please return here when somebody has something intelligent to say.
And I used tape to secure mine when I used them......what's your point.

Doc

I would like you be more coherent but nobody who tries to keep up with russia news can keep up with it.

You are far away, in a country that promised to keep peace in Ukraine in exchange for disarmament. Your barely elected, barely functioning president managed to bribe and launder money in Ukraine. Quite disturbing to say the least but I feel like its the best outcome if it leads to more support for Ukraine to prevent bigger war in Europe.

I want all of russia's soldiers to die. But I do not want one russian to die, I hope they kept within their borders and visited other countries in peace. Not much to ask. They however have a habit of invading (or attempt to) their surrounding countries and I wish the russians would maybe react to their leadership. But so I would hope every nation to realize how they are being pulled. Foremost americans, who were supposed to have some kind of godly flyer that should have stopped goverment overreach. Maybe you lost it down the years in some place.

Can you tell me about russian:
-gun laws
-knife laws
-free speech
-free press
-political opposition
-elections
-civil rights

And please answer with the typical way of deflecting in one of the ukraine war threads that you usually harass people in and tag me, maybe we can keep this discussion over here on the subject. You can check the topic of the current thread you are reading from the top of the page, you seem to forget it repeatedly.
We have all that here in the US......we are almost more commie than the commies are these days.

Doc

Thanks to everybody who has been providing on topic "Sniping in the Ukraine" content from either side in this thread without all the propaganda and petty arguments and personal pejorative bullshit that is so ubiquitous in other threads.

To those attempting to pollute this thread like the others, come on, there are plenty of other threads for that.

It might be safe to say that he wasn't hit with a 338LM (aka 8.6X70mm).

This video is three years old but highlights some equipment that the Russians were using.

Short video but note some of the western equipment that they are using. I say "western" but much of our "western" equipment has been made in China. With that said please be gentle with me and your comments:)

Interesting range finder.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Weird, the first video, it sound like the Russians say "sniper" in English with a Russian accent.
I don't speak Russian but believe that they use the word "sniper" or "snayper" (снайпер) like we do. After all, the word "sniper" was originally a British term that other countries adopted.

The Ukrainians use the same word as the Russians. The Lithuanian term is "snaiperis." The Belarussians; "snajpier." Polish; "snajper."

Here's a post war interview of Lyudmila Pavlichenko. Use the settings to do a translation to English, which doesn't appear to be very good. Nevertheless, you can hear her say the Russian equivalent of "sniper," starting at about 1:30.

It might be safe to say that he wasn't hit with a 338LM (aka 8.6X70mm).

This video is three years old but highlights some equipment that the Russians were using.

Short video but note some of the western equipment that they are using. I say "western" but much of our "western" equipment has been made in China. With that said please be gentle with me and your comments:)

Interesting range finder.

Russian sniping gear is a kinda mixed bag , in 2008-2014 they decided to upgrade fast by buying abroad mostly Styer SSG08 and suprising a lot of DTA SRS that was at the time hot stuff, optics were mostly S&B but NF is also numerous

Why not domestic , well till 2013 or something it was near impossible for a private company to make and sell guns to civilians , only big companies inside Military Industrial Complex as they call it could.

Lobaev actually had the first small private company in Russia with arms manufacturing licence in 2003 ,Tsar Cannon that was into making Benchrest and F class rifles and cut riffled barrels. Still the burocracy was bad and Lobaev closed shop and went to UAE making guns under one of their brands (Twarzun)
Only in 2013 or so did legisation change and Lobaev started making sniper rifles in quantity , soem of the first were adopted in Presidential securty detail in .408CT

Other more prolific manufacturer is Orsis , much bigger player than Lobaev , Russian video game developers invested money in a couple of sniper rifle manufacturing projects both inside Russia and in Europe (Ritter&Stark) , no technological limits project all the latest and greatest in manufacturing tech was set up in the factory , well made rifles with good cut rifled barrels.
Orsis T5000 is the most common Russian sniper rifle ,but there are still lots of foreign rifles as Orsis is still only recently fielded.

As for optics 80% are probably runing western optics , as there has been little domestic offering that is slowly changing

Dedal are already being used most the DHF 5-20x56 , but 4-28x56 has been seen

In terms of Nv an IR optics and LRFs , Russian manufacturers are quite on point (most of NV optics sold in the West are made in Belarus,Ukraine,Russia but often sold under western Brands,( Pulsar moved some of its production to Baltics to avoid the sanctions) so no shortage of domestic optics there .Believe it or not western LRFs are often picked as an affordable alternative, as Russian companies do not manufacture much in termd of consumer grade LRFs
DedalNV, IWT, etc

Electronic sights are something Russians have a bit of a fetish for ,and there are surprising number of digitalized scopes and extremely feature rich IR scopes of domestic manufacture.

IWT

The biggest Achilles heel for them is the ammo for similar reasons , civilian market was near not existant so Lapua ,Hornady are widely used along with domestic production that is typically not on the same level. Orsis manufactures ammo with Lapua components but that probably dried up .

T-5000 gen 1
ORSIS_T-5000.jpg

T5000 gen2
800px-ORSIS_SE_T-5000.jpg

Last edited:
Like I mentioned a while ago , It seems Lobaev Fundation is running a crowdsourced program to make an NF ATCAR clone or equivalent

Its a 5-35x56 it looks like their third or fourth iteration of the scope, mainly in regards to internals,they are always comparing to NF in terms of optical clarity, and they are supposedly using fully multicoated ED glass.

I don't know for sure but they probably took an NF scope apart and did a bunch of reverse-engineering,of course, that only carries you so far hence variations on erector tube design. And it is likely not guys in a shed doing it either,but some optical company or at least their employees doing much of the project work.

photo_2023-08-25_09-49-20.jpg

photo_2023-08-25_09-49-43.jpg

photo_2023-08-17_07-53-41.jpg

photo_2023-08-11_13-33-37.jpg

photo_2023-08-02_15-36-39.jpg

photo_2023-08-02_15-36-41.jpg

photo_2023-08-02_15-36-43.jpg

photo_2023-07-21_10-34-51.jpg

photo_2023-06-02_08-18-44.jpg

photo_2023-06-02_08-18-44 (2).jpg

photo_2023-05-16_07-37-24.jpg

photo_2023-05-16_07-37-25.jpg

photo_2023-05-19_14-18-21.jpg

photo_2023-04-22_11-10-24.jpg

Last edited:
Longshot is correct. Russians do use the word "sniper". It is a loanword.
it is funny sometimes when another language has no native word for something and they throw in the english word.

kjfiufs kjhsfibsei kjska0 jsdkbeb akjbd akb television jhfjvhd kjawj kjbdkh kjaowodl bkakdlo.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
What gets me about these articles which interview Ukrainian snipers is the amount of information that they give away. This article doesn't give away too much because it's not a lengthy tome. Nevertheless, I would be avert to giving any interviews if I was a sniper, unless I could pass on some disinformation that will fall in enemy hands.

There are a couple of criticisms of this article. The first is that they act like the Ukrainians are picking off high ranking officers with ease and causing a major disruption in the organization. That may have been true early on but the Russians aren't stupid.

Are there very many stories of Generals getting killed by snipers like the first two weeks of the war? I haven't seen any in quite a while.

The second criticism is that they think Milley is an all-knowing expert in the Ukrainian war. He's too busy promoting drag queen shows on post.

What gets me about these articles which interview Ukrainian snipers is the amount of information that they give away. This article doesn't give away too much because it's not a lengthy tome. Nevertheless, I would be avert to giving any interviews if I was a sniper, unless I could pass on some disinformation that will fall in enemy hands.

There are a couple of criticisms of this article. The first is that they act like the Ukrainians are picking off high ranking officers with ease and causing a major disruption in the organization. That may have been true early on but the Russians aren't stupid.

Are there very many stories of Generals getting killed by snipers like the first two weeks of the war? I haven't seen any in quite a while.

The second criticism is that they think Milley is an all-knowing expert in the Ukrainian war. He's too busy promoting drag queen shows on post.

Eh, they only gave the example of a General from the beginning of the war. I took it as their mission was any officer they saw, because the Russians supposedly do not have NCOs to fill the gaps. The other sniper interviewed, talking about taking any targets, the article noted that Russian snipers were doing the same thing and were formidable. Presumably that came from the Ukrainian, since that is the only side being interviewed. It is not so much bias in an article like this as lack of access by western press to Russian military. Ryan Pickerel would have a much harder time wandering around the other side of the line and interviewing any Russian snipers he wants.

Last edited:
Ibid.

A group of snipers who recently talked to the Kyiv Post, for instance, said their preferred tactic is to relay battlefield information to an artillery or mortar unit rather than risk exposing their position by taking a shot.

The snipers said that if a sniper takes a shot, the Russians will quickly retaliate with indirect fire, trying to eliminate the threat to their forces.

He added that the "best ones leave us first."

In the CNN video, the SBU snipers can be seen using American-made Barrett sniper rifles, which a report from the Kyiv Post said are a favorite among Ukrainian marksmen.

A Ukrainian sniper identified as Federchuk by the outlet said the Canadian-made Cadex Defence CDX-33 TAC series rifle, .338 Lapua Magnum caliber, quickly became popular among snipers early in the war.

Some other popular sniper rifles, the Kyiv Post reported, include the Finnish-made SAKO TRG and the US-made Barrett Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD), which are regularly chambered in .338 but also .308.

Ibid.

A group of snipers who recently talked to the Kyiv Post, for instance, said their preferred tactic is to relay battlefield information to an artillery or mortar unit rather than risk exposing their position by taking a shot.

The snipers said that if a sniper takes a shot, the Russians will quickly retaliate with indirect fire, trying to eliminate the threat to their forces.

He added that the "best ones leave us first."

In the CNN video, the SBU snipers can be seen using American-made Barrett sniper rifles, which a report from the Kyiv Post said are a favorite among Ukrainian marksmen.

A Ukrainian sniper identified as Federchuk by the outlet said the Canadian-made Cadex Defence CDX-33 TAC series rifle, .338 Lapua Magnum caliber, quickly became popular among snipers early in the war.

Some other popular sniper rifles, the Kyiv Post reported, include the Finnish-made SAKO TRG and the US-made Barrett Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD), which are regularly chambered in .338 but also .308.
I've had the feeling for a while that the Russians have been using drones and artillery strikes as a counter-sniper measure rather than using an opposing sniper.

Now I could be wrong but this makes better sense if you have the capability of organic, real-time aerial battlefield reconnaissance and very accurate artillery than to rely on a precisions marksman who may have a more limited view.

This article and others like it also tells us that even though a sniper can hide from the human eye, it's extremely difficult to hide from airborne thermal detection.

So this begs the question which will probably start a food fight but does this spell the eventual end of battlefield sniping? Keep in mind that the USMC has done away with the scout-sniper MOS as well as main battle tanks. What are they thinking? Do they know something that we don't?

Another question is what sort of concealment measures are being developed to avoid thermal detection? There are all sorts of DIY concealment projects that people can manufacture but what about mass produced "cloaking devices?"

Then again, this calls for a multifaceted approach to countering the drone threat. ECM anyone?

Good questions, Longshot231, but it appears that they are not already obsolete, at least in this particular war, not yet. They appear to be very useful on both sides.

Good questions, Longshot231, but it appears that they are not already obsolete, at least in this particular war, not yet. They appear to be very useful on both sides.
I agree that sniping is not dead yet. However, I wonder how long it might be if their usefulness goes away with the advent of more effective and lethal counter-measures.

There are several very cheap, very effective, OTS thermal defeating strategies that I don't see being deployed widely.

Not going to specify here, but you CAN beat thermal on the cheap.
Small, cheap, plentiful drones are newish tech for any military organization that clings to the past, as do most of the ones we know personally. Ukraine is a no consequences test zone. Invaluable really, to those who don’t care about humans, like the “doctors” in the 40’s in Germany. Defending against the drone hoard is being studied closely right now. How many training cycles until it’s taught in basic infantry schools? My guess is that it will be a multi level response needing close cooperation between assets that are better functioning when part of an integrated force, rather than AF talking to Army air, talking to some poor dirty fucker humping the modern version of a PRC77. I bet this is the new edgy SF doctrine that old school warriors are actively opposing because they don’t understand it.

those are the guys from the videos where they are wiping out one car load after another of AFU servicemen. Very brutal videos, and twitter has it up, then down, etc. today it's back up. Notice the one guy has the Vintóvka Snáyperskaya Spetsiálnaya "Vintorez"

those are the guys from the videos where they are wiping out one car load after another of AFU servicemen. Very brutal videos, and twitter has it up, then down, etc. today it's back up. Notice the one guy has the Vintóvka Snáyperskaya Spetsiálnaya "Vintorez"
I wonder what the turbaned fellows in the desert think when they review their interactions with the late Mr. Kyle. I would be proud to have him on my team, but the losing side will always have a different point of view. War is a real shitty business.

It looks like Lobaev new scope is ready for testing ,2 prototypes from the 20 prototype batch

As i posted prior it seems they took apart a NF scope and built a similar scope, Its a wholy crowdfunded project under Lobaev but likely done 'after hours' at an optical manufacturer.

Google translated
Based on the results of product testing (objective or instrumental and subjective), we recorded the following key characteristics of the sight:

▪️ Magnification 5 - 35x
▪️ Total length - 423 mm
▪️ Lens diameter, external - 66 mm
▪️ Lens diameter, internal - 56 mm
▪️ The outer diameter of the tube is 34 mm
▪️ The outer diameter of the eyepiece is 47 mm
▪️ FFP
▪️ Reticle - LA59 (clone of H59)
▪️ Exit pupil - ~14 mm at 5x and ~3.6 mm at 35x
▪️ Field of view/100m - ~6.7 m at 5x and ~1.6 m at 35x
▪️ The distance from the eyepiece to the eye is 110 mm
▪️ Correction management - vertical 29 mrad, horizontal 17 mrad with optional possibility of increasing up to 35mrad vertically and up to 20mrad horizontally. Equipped with a zero stop.
▪️ 0.1mrad clicks
▪️ Lenses- ED optics (extra low-dispersion), with high resolution, all optical elements are multi-coated.

Approximately 6 months have passed from the beginning of prototyping to the pre-production sample. We have something to be happy about. We not only reproduced characteristics of the best sight in the world of the Nightforce ATACR but also surpassed it in some parameters. The sight turned out to have higher light transmission and an increased field of view. Plus, we paid special attention to getting greater eye relief (to better suit use on high recoil arms). And it also succeeded - 110 mm!

We still have a lot of work to do on building production processes for serial production. Well, in the short term, we have firing tests. We are going to use 2 prototypes in daily shootings. And we shoot a lot.

After that, the sights will begin to be shipped for testing and experimental operation.

photo_2023-10-09_14-44-45.jpg

photo_2023-10-26_09-10-51.jpg

Last edited:
From the article:

It is unclear what the jackets are made of or if they differ from space blankets made of Mylar.

🤨
I mean full credit to the Ukrainians for battlefield improvisation and all that, but I would have thought checking it's not just spraypainted space blankets before writing a full page article about it would be a completely reasonable thing to do......

Military comp of sniper pairs held in August, as you can see near all rifles and optics are imports

Military comp of sniper pairs held in August, as you can see near all rifles and optics are imports

Was this competition in Ukraine or Russia? In addition, I'm curious about the strange looking pads placed under the bipods.

I don't like shooting with the bipod on a hard surface. It seems like the rifle wants to bounce too much which opens up my groups. I like to keep the bipod in the dirt if possible.

Sometimes, I have no choice and the bipod has to rest on a hard surface like concrete. So lately, I've been putting a small section of the military surplus mattress pad underneath the bipod legs. That seems to help.

Have some of these shooters experienced the same problems and taken to using the pads you see in the video?

Do we have anything like that available here and do they work? Inquiring minds want to know.

Publication1.jpg

Was this competition in Ukraine or Russia? In addition, I'm curious about the strange looking pads placed under the bipods.

I don't like shooting with the bipod on a hard surface. It seems like the rifle wants to bounce too much which opens up my groups. I like to keep the bipod in the dirt if possible.

Sometimes, I have no choice and the bipod has to rest on a hard surface like concrete. So lately, I've been putting a small section of the military surplus mattress pad underneath the bipod legs. That seems to help.

Have some of these shooters experienced the same problems and taken to using the pads you see in the video?

Do we have anything like that available here and do they work? Inquiring minds want to know.
It was a Russian comp and many ''competitiors'' are deployed in Ukraine , found it on one of their sniping-related telegrams

I think there are number of companies making these
Russians and Ukrainians probably use the seating pads they all carry

27_dfe50394-85cb-4d93-a708-5538a8871075_2048x.png

Cole tac

30_2048x.png

It was a Russian comp and many ''competitiors'' are deployed in Ukraine , found it on one of their sniping-related telegrams

I think there are number of companies making these
Russians and Ukrainians probably use the seating pads they all carry

27_dfe50394-85cb-4d93-a708-5538a8871075_2048x.png

Cole tac

30_2048x.png

Interesting. I wonder why they don't offer it in the US.

When I think about the extra weight with the sand, my section of the GI mattress pad has the advantage.

However, having the sand as a buffer between the bipod feet and the concrete mimics the dirt surface that I usually like to use.

Interesting. I wonder why they don't offer it in the US.

When I think about the extra weight with the sand, my section of the GI mattress pad has the advantage.

However, having the sand as a buffer between the bipod feet and the concrete mimics the dirt surface that I usually like to use.

Never used a dedicated bipod mat but on occasions used these for that role

P8030001__87669.1553026126.jpg

"Military men are dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy." Quote from Henry Kissenger, the foreign policy expert for the USA from Nixon onward...met with every president since....who wanted his expert foreign policy advice, just died at the age of 100, and responsible for an estimated 3 million deaths.
It's what your government officials and globalist really think, of its fighting men...since at least the 1970... look at Ukraine...it's all about policy, (power & wealth of the elete)..not freedom, they don't care about freedom, or the number of dead, who were stupid dumb animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy... fact. No heroes, just stupid dumb pawns. Marine Corps quit the Scout Sniper program...it's out dated, in modern warfare, especially in the future. Drones are very successfull, and do not need training, food, or supplies, and can be manufactured by the millions...then turned over to AI for complete battle field dominance. All humans will be easy targets, that can not hide from 24 hr intensive AI satelite and drone servailance armed with light speed lazer weapons, bombs, microwaves, and komakazi drones, with facial recognition, for specific targets.

Is it just military guys? Or is it one of those competitions that you see in Europe sometimes where they combine the civilian long range guys and the military for informal comps? I only ask because there isn't any consistent uniforms between them and basically every model of high end rifle that the west makes in that video. I think about the only constant is that they are chambered in 338LM....

Also, thanks for posting this stuff. Particularly Lobaev's progress. It's interesting to see how fast Russia's defence industry is adapting.