• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniping In The Ukraine

the deadliest sniper of all time never used a scope. he also killed russians and lived through the finnish russian war and world war 2

Finland is heavily forested so most shots were within 100-200 yards or even closer. He could not even use a scope most of the time.

The Soviets started using lasers to blind B-52 pilots flying over their "fishing trawlers" in the Pacific in the 1980s.

In addition, I wonder how they are employing the laser. First of all, if one knows where the sniper is at, why not take him out with artillery or another sniper?

The answer probably takes into consideration that lasers may be cheaper than artillery and not enough trained counter-snipers.

So all that the laser operator has to do is sweep suspected sniper hides in the hope of blinding his opponent. Despite the fact that lasers are accurate when it comes to small, intense energy light beams it can be used an ersatz area weapon to blind the enemy.

Waving a laser around for more than a few seconds on today's battlefield is like broadcasting your coordinates in the clear. You had better be ready to take that shot a couple of seconds after firing it off.

That being said, snipers are mostly used to observe and most times they will be further away than most weapons' effective range. If you know they went into a building then a laser could be very effective in conjunction with a demonstration to ensure they are on glass. The laser system would have to be on the line of sight of the demonstration. I can think of other more useful actions following detection of an OP than the laser, though.

The problem with eye protection and lasers is that they are tuned to a wavelength, and if you want to make glasses that block out all lasers you have to block out all visible light, because that's what a laser is, concentrated visible light in a narrow band width. The Eagle Pair glasses are sort of the standard, and whatever you are playing with you want to be wearing that wavelength. That said, glasses made for a green laser won't do shit against a red one, or a blue one, etc.
A powerful handheld will certainly blind someone quickly, but not just shining it around at 50+ yards. You would have to hold it on someone's eyes for a second at least to permanently blind them. I don't have much experience with chemical lasers or non-portable ones, so they might be strong enough. I've built several diode lasers up to and including 7.5W, and you need to hold it steady to do damage or even burn things that aren't under 30 yards. At that power you also need a focusing lens because you can't get a super tight beam with a diode that big.

The problem with eye protection and lasers is that they are tuned to a wavelength, and if you want to make glasses that block out all lasers you have to block out all visible light, because that's what a laser is, concentrated visible light in a narrow band width. The Eagle Pair glasses are sort of the standard, and whatever you are playing with you want to be wearing that wavelength. That said, glasses made for a green laser won't do shit against a red one, or a blue one, etc.
A powerful handheld will certainly blind someone quickly, but not just shining it around at 50+ yards. You would have to hold it on someone's eyes for a second at least to permanently blind them. I don't have much experience with chemical lasers or non-portable ones, so they might be strong enough. I've built several diode lasers up to and including 7.5W, and you need to hold it steady to do damage or even burn things that aren't under 30 yards. At that power you also need a focusing lens because you can't get a super tight beam with a diode that big.

Good points.

But remember, your targets will be on glass. A 56 mm objective lens will collect about 200 times the light of the average pupil. The harder problem will be ensuring your laser is lined up with the observer and getting the observer to look at it.

And there are fairly cheap laser detectors available today. So likely this tactic would not work for well supplied teams.

There are ODS modules available that can detect even a small lens within a couple thousand meters of its position.
We have them and use them.

Russians were using them in Syria.
No reason to believe they aren't deployed at least on a limited basis in Ukraine.

./

There are ODS modules available that can detect even a small lens within a couple thousand meters of its position.
We have them and use them.

Russians were using them in Syria.
No reason to believe they aren't deployed at least on a limited basis in Ukraine.

./

Are the ODS modules effective even with a lens reflector?
41C6vqCc-dL.jpg

One of interest I found:

It seems the group had at least 2 sniper rifles.
3 makes of ammo, or at least GGG and Sellier and one box that seems to be of Hornady ELDM bullets, perhaps filled with ELDM reloaded ammo? Plus the grey ammo box.
Reminds me of the kid here who had the extra-long cartridge wrapped to the stock in case he needed to make a single very accurate shot. Rather just use one ammo that caters to your job..

Anyways, they also had some harris bipods. I assume they are knock offs but likely of some quality based on other stuff they had.
As they seem to also have nightforce scopes, with the other rifle having a bubble level and both have bag riders. I have not identified the NF myself, just the sticker and article points to that.

The muzzle breaks also point towards gun enthusiasist.

Figure-5a.jpg
Figure-6a.jpg

All in all, it looks like there were 2 snipers attached to the group whom brought their personal weapons and ammo with them.

Last edited:
No clue if an ARD would counter it or not.
My guess is that if the the device wearing the ARD were within a small arc of dead-on LOS to the ODS module, it would be detected.

./

ODS looks for stacked optics. They don't get a return off of something like a basic security camera.

The ARD with the honeycomb negates detection by a huge percentage, but not zero. It has to do with angle/distance and if it can 'hit' what its looking for and get a return.

ODS looks for stacked optics. They don't get a return off of something like a basic security camera.

The ARD with the honeycomb negates detection by a huge percentage, but not zero. It has to do with angle/distance and if it can 'hit' what its looking for and get a return.

I've never heard of this and google isn't helping.

What is ODS?

Screenshot_20221224-015911_Gallery.png

Anyone know the scope on the Barrett?

Wonder if ear protection is in place. AP sure does work hard to make sure identities are easy for the other side to see.

I've never heard of this and google isn't helping.

What is ODS?
Optical detection system(s) addressed in another Hide thread that will give your GoogleFu more to go on:

Looking at the footage, I wonder how many times you build the FP you are taught to do until you begin waving your rifle out of the window?

I guess in fast paced urban combat the style becomes more mobile?

It's a staged filmed event for the softheads and nothing more.
Sorry, footage word does not straight away implicate plurality but I meant it. I have seen other similar footage.
I do not even think it was not staged, it screamed it aloud. But I do not understand why still do it so poorly.
After all, would it not be better propaganda with proper staging?

At least one another video showed apparently russian (sniper? or a guy with a scoped rifle?) whatever, firing from an outside stairway and blowing a cloud of dust from his position.

Ofc, I would not probably be recording my missions, I have problems recording propaganda footage even now.

The Ukrainian snipers don't like ghillie suits.

Just read the same story.
The normal practice is ofc to NOT wear your camo until it is required for the role, solely because any movement wearing ghillie not using concealment reveals sniper and then you are target number 1.
So I guess they have missed that you can actually keep it in the bag (at least the viper hood) until you need it.

We also gotta remember that setting up a ghillie for one single terrain takes time and you would need quite many to fit from wood trashed areas to bare black earth to greenish field. If you know you are going to set up the FP in a building, why bring a ghillie. With (thermal) drones becoming more prevalent, it takes some balls to lay in the field. Buildings draw fire but if you have enough space to the enemy, you still have the edge.

The point about Western precision weapons is quite obvious, who the fuck wants some soviet/china gear, it truly is not something you would choose to use, they are used because of lack of better options. There does not exist soviet block precision arms.

Reactions: Longshot231
The Ukrainians already lost the war...and snipers have never won a war, and their usefulness is getting to be, out dated,... with drones, thermal imaging, and live satellite data feed of the whole battlefield, giving exact location of movement. A gillie suit will not help as the thermo drone in the sky sees you, long before you know you are the target. The offensive stalled and is finished with no progress...the west is frustrated with the outcome, out of weapons, and out money and shifting attention to Taiwan. The CIA will probably install a new leader, in whats left of Ukraine.
Past time for a peace agreement.

Snipers are invaluable- because modern warfare is very prone to stoppage by anti-drone tech, by laser, by signals jamming, and other means. The fear alone of possible sniper attacks induces concern in the enemy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Longshot231
The Ukrainians already lost the war...and snipers have never won a war, and their usefulness is getting to be, out dated,... with drones, thermal imaging, and live satellite data feed of the whole battlefield, giving exact location of movement. A gillie suit will not help as the thermo drone in the sky sees you, long before you know you are the target. The offensive stalled and is finished with no progress...the west is frustrated with the outcome, out of weapons, and out money and shifting attention to Taiwan. The CIA will probably install a new leader, in whats left of Ukraine.
Past time for a peace agreement.
For the record, this war was over before it started.

Two problems for Ukraine. Putin has been holding back big time. The west isn't providing thier state of the art weapons. They are saving them for when we are actually in our own war and don't want to provide the opportunity for something to get captured or research in subverting it.

Reactions: UsedToBeGood
Two problems for Ukraine. Putin has been holding back big time. The west isn't providing thier state of the art weapons. They are saving them for when we are actually in our own war and don't want to provide the opportunity for something to get captured or research in subverting it.
So Putin sending tanks with cardboard armor on them is holding back? Must not want Ukraine bad enough to just fuck around for so long.

Paper tigers are real.

Reactions: Near miss
Snipers don't win wars.

People win and lose wars.

Ukrainians face two different futures: slavery or extinction.

If it was important enough for all of Russia to throw in, Putin would have convinced all Russians.

Not saying all Ukrainians agree, either -- but without external money and bullets they'd have lost a whole lot sooner.

Snipers don't win wars.

If it was important enough for all of Russia to throw in, Putin would have convinced all Russians.

Not saying all Ukrainians agree, either -- but without external money and bullets they'd have lost a whole lot sooner.
They would have made peace and done business. This war is a NATO creation designed to kill Russians. Ukrainians are collateral damage no one cares about.

Ahh shit the ruskie bootlickers found here.

Go feed that bullshit in your daily threads, I want to follow this thread and not read retarded replies.

On the topic, snipers can provide good information and requests from the field, killing multiple enemies without ever firing the rifle.

Depends on the skills of the sniper how well he does it and how intelligently he is being used.

Reactions: WaffenSS
Ahh shit the ruskie bootlickers found here.

Go feed that bullshit in your daily threads, I want to follow this thread and not read retarded replies.

On the topic, snipers can provide good information and requests from the field, killing multiple enemies without ever firing the rifle.

Depends on the skills of the sniper how well he does it and how intelligently he is being used.
Can't deny the intellect of the Ukies.
Muzzle awareness is always of prime concern.

AA1ePolK.jpg

You really try to bring up incompetence with photo of a one soldier that gives a mere perspection of muzzle pointing at a friendly? And like I give a shit if they point at each other? Fucking dumbnut.

Getting a conscript army to line up in formation is already a feat in itself.

Anyone here can spot countless ways they fuck up, I guess it makes you feel special to point them out? Ruskies use zipties to secure their TQs, that information does not mean much on its own, you do not need IQ points to be lethal with a gun and weapon systems, that is the point of conscript army.

This war irritates me also a huge amount and I wish it was over too, no need to cry in every thread about it.

Can we please return here when somebody has something intelligent to say.

you do not need IQ points to be lethal with a gun and weapon systems,
Yes, that is what the pic shows perfectly
Also to note, the formation of (people?) dressed in ghillies appears to be at least 4 deep.
I don't know how the Pookranians do it, but every formation I've been involved in always had the most capable soldiers in the front row.
Does anyone know different or for what the reasoning is behind it ?
The only thing that comes to mind is to "put your best foot forward" akin to appearances are most important.
Can we please return here when somebody has something intelligent to say.
I'm game, what do you have for us that's intelligent ?
Cat got your tongue ?

When the sniping in Ukraine is the subject, talking nonsense generalizations about the war and showing some random photos of a noob sniper muzzle flashing is not intelligent. It does not have anything really to do with the subject. Sorry should have realized you would not get the hint.

And no, in conscription army the front row of soldiers are most likely just the people who happen to be closest by when the command is given. During training the leader is in front yes, because he hears the best and is taking notes but that is about it. In sniper teams the dynamic is not similar to regular infantry, the hierarchy (which is slim at best in conscription army anyway) is not there and everybody should know the mission and its goals / be on the same page.

Look at the guy, his bipod legs are opened, probably was napping somewhere about and just pretty much picked his gun and stood up, voila, you are in the front row now and some american thinks you are the elite soldier.

The great thing about conscription army is the motivation, there are no people complaining or avoiding tasks, everybody is out there to do. The skills definitely lack, but motivation can cover some of that and good bit more.

I wish I had time this morning to flesh out the pieces of information from the article and video that give us another peak at sniping operations in the Ukraine. One thing is obvious. The Ukrainians are tipping their hand way too much by revealing the way they do business in the article and the video interview.

That's really obvious to all of us. They are letting the Russians know how much of a threat the drones are. Perhaps the Russians are relying less on counter-sniping and more on drone reconnaissance and artillery fire. Either way, they Ukrainians are letting the Russians know what works.

It seemed like when the war started the newest weapons were the Savage 110 Tactical rifles. Now they are relying on better rifles. Or that could be another propaganda ploy. Speaking of propaganda, I will admit that the article and the video are filled with propaganda. However, there are slivers of information that reveal something.

Like I said, I don't have time to pick a lot out of the article and video but I also wonder, why we aren't seeing more information from the Russian side on sniping. Perhaps they are keeping that quiet for good reason.

Snipers don't win wars.

Ukraine should never have listened to the invaders of a decade ago.

This reads like Kamala Harris said it…..

The great thing about conscription army is the motivation, there are no people complaining or avoiding tasks, everybody is out there to do. The skills definitely lack, but motivation can cover some of that and good bit more.

Snipers don't win wars.

Pied Piper has been at it for 20+years and billions of dolars in , piper gets couple of jerkof videos posted on FB and its election intererence equal to Pearl harbor
Ukrainians just have bad luck being the ideal pawns

A bit of a flashback 20y old how it all started and we are seeing how its all going. Amazin aint it how they celebrate well oiled regime change machine

As many lies about covid trump the economy the border the media tells you ans you choose to believe them in regards to The Ukraine ?

I bet we are in the wrong here.
Like last year Ukraine signed a peace deal, in Turkey, NATO flew the British PM in to tell Ukraine...no peace ...the Ukrainian government representative who headed and signed the peace deal was promptly shot... Russia pulled if back its troops assuming they had reached a peace agreement... the West used the peace pull back to tell everyone Ukraine is winning, pushing the Russians back...and promptly added more weapons, and cash, ...telling the Ukrainians to go fight. Fight for the democracy of the western world to keep us all free.
When the the freedoms of the West have been curtailed down to total oppressive government control over its people... pushing the US constitution and personal rights aside, as if they no longer apply...

I would like you be more coherent but nobody who tries to keep up with russia news can keep up with it.

You are far away, in a country that promised to keep peace in Ukraine in exchange for disarmament. Your barely elected, barely functioning president managed to bribe and launder money in Ukraine. Quite disturbing to say the least but I feel like its the best outcome if it leads to more support for Ukraine to prevent bigger war in Europe.

I want all of russia's soldiers to die. But I do not want one russian to die, I hope they kept within their borders and visited other countries in peace. Not much to ask. They however have a habit of invading (or attempt to) their surrounding countries and I wish the russians would maybe react to their leadership. But so I would hope every nation to realize how they are being pulled. Foremost americans, who were supposed to have some kind of godly flyer that should have stopped goverment overreach. Maybe you lost it down the years in some place.

Can you tell me about russian:
-gun laws
-knife laws
-free speech
-free press
-political opposition
-elections
-civil rights

And please answer with the typical way of deflecting in one of the ukraine war threads that you usually harass people in and tag me, maybe we can keep this discussion over here on the subject. You can check the topic of the current thread you are reading from the top of the page, you seem to forget it repeatedly.

I don't care about Russia or Ukraine. We have too many problems at home to help someone else fight their war.

I started this thread as a means to study the sniping tactics of both sides. Instead, the thread has got to be about whether the war is right or wrong and who the the US should or should not support.

While I like political discussion, I was hoping we could make this a thread of studying the SOPs, tactics and weapon systems both sides are using.

There are quite a few Ukrainians fighting in the Russian Army... because many are ethnic Russian, they wanted Russia to intervien for 10 yrs, as the Ukrainian Nazis were killing them since 2014, in the east, spending a million a day killing their own civilian people...and the world bank was worried about Ukrainian government paying back the loans used to kill its own people...back when the NY times reported so, in 2014, ..look it up...that that part of Ukraine wanted to join Russia and voted to do so.
Ukraine us the most corrupt country on the planet, and why western governments do business there, as billions in taxpayer dollars flow in, millions flow back to US government officials in bribes for the cash, DC is awash in bribery cash.
Ukraine is less free, than Russia, no elections, no opposition party, martial law prevails, super corrupt government, they sold guns, and bullet proof vests on the black market for their own soldiers, showing up in the hands of the Mexican cartels.
The US is moving fast in that direction, propaganda, no real free speech, jailed without due process, government censorship, and crooked elections for years...and false flag events, used to persuade the people, a war is needed, since WW1 when bankers found their was money to be made, supplying both sides.
Ford supplied the Nazi truck engines, Standard oil supplied the specific oil for the Nazi planes, And Prescott Bush of the Bush dynasty did banking business with Hitler, as well as IBM helping keep track of the jews, another US chemical company providing the gas to exterminate jews...plus investments in Nazi Germany's slave labor...Where did they get all that investment money to start the war machine?
I hope the killing of Russian and Ukrainian soldiers stops immediately...another usless American war, to help the ritch dominate the planet, they must weaken Russians, because they do not submit to the NWO, and they are not pedophiles like the western governments, as stated in a speech in 2017 by Putin...he otta know, he has the communications...It's much worse than stated.

I don't care about Russia or Ukraine. We have too many problems at home to help someone else fight their war.

I started this thread as a means to study the sniping tactics of both sides. Instead, the thread has got to be about whether the war is right or wrong and who the the US should or should not support.

While I like political discussion, I was hoping we could make this a thread of studying the SOPs, tactics and weapon systems both sides are using.
exactly.
I don't give a shit about Russia other than the fact that they are fighting for their national survival against the International Socialists led by us.

They have some hot women, shitty food, and a lot of trees. The don't bother me in the least. If I didn't turn on the news, I would have no idea that they even exist, for all the impact they have on my daily life. On the other hand, our Dual-citizen, Constitution-hating, uniparty tyrants who take 50% of my life in taxes, and who daily try to turn this country into a prison camp that my kids will have to suffer in....well, those fuckers do bother me, and they do negatively impact every moment of my daily life. They can shove their saber rattling and war mongering, and all the flathead dipshits who support them can go join the Ukrainian SS and fight for the Great Reset which they want so badly.

then go there and try to kill them. With any luck we can post the Russian MOD video of you trying to wave off the drone, right before it drops a grenade on your globalist neocon mellon.
Dude is from Finland, I think he might have a legitimate burn about Russians.

Dude is from Finland, I think he might have a legitimate burn about Russians.
Yeah, the last time there was a conflict, the Fins were the ones who invaded the USSR. 1941; It was called the "Continuation War" and they fought alongside the Nazis. In fact, the Fins only stopped using the swastika for their airforce symbol a few years ago.

the Fins are like the Poles. Little yappy dogs who act tough if there is someone behind them willing to do most of the fighting. Last time it was the Wehrmacht. this time it's NeoconNATO.

Reactions: Doc68
Yeah, the last time there was a conflict, the Fins were the ones who invaded the USSR. 1941; It was called the "Continuation War" and they fought alongside the Nazis. In fact, the Fins only stopped using the swastika for their airforce symbol a few years ago.

the Fins are like the Poles. Little yappy dogs who act tough if there is someone behind them willing to do most of the fighting. Last time it was the Wehrmacht. this time it's NeoconNATO.
Sounds like you're a Russian.

Go team go.

Team mentality and objectivity rarely go together. I'm sure the Poles have a jaundiced eye towards Russia as well.

Their neighbors don't like them much, ever wonder why? Nah, of course you don't.

Before you decide I'm the problem, my father's parents came from Russia, or should I say fled. . .

iu

Reactions: Near miss