• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

So what are the hangups for the 7x57 for a

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
tactical rifle? The long action gives you plenty of room to seat the bullet on out and you have a pretty nice jump in powder capacity from a 7mm-08(which you can't seat as far out already in a SA)

Don't ever hear it mentioned, was just wondering. Shame to pass up on all those ultra high BC offerings. Not to mention barrel life.

Re: So what are the hangups for the 7x57 for a

it is a ballistically really good cartridge and sadly a sleeper.
There is nothing wrong with at all except the 284win has a little more case capacity and brass is available from better manufacturer so that is why IMHO it is not as popular as it shoud be.
cheers

Chem just go for it. From reading your previous posts, you have a lot invested into this cartridge. With a long action you pretty much seat them to the lands. I have several sporters and the new winchester in 7x57 and I really like that cartridge. You can get premium brass from Norma and Nosler will have some out pretty soon. Nolser has published loads for a 160 at 2800 FPS, I think one of the detractors is the anemic load data published in the US. I understand why, because all of those small ring and trapdoor rifles still out there. I just wish some manufactures would do some stress testing on that cartridge in modern actions to get a realistic pressure rating.

Been thinking about a heavy barrel one myself and might be my project for next tax season.