• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sooo i may make the trip across the big pond.

Remoah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Scared white city boy wants to go to the big USA.

And whilst i'd love to see the grand canyon, statue of liberty, ect... i can't help but think i'd be missing the real america. I mean, when anyone thinks of australia, they probably think of this:
Tourism_Australia8_gallery__566x400-600x400.jpg

whereas most of us live in places like Frankston...

78de626d3f095f87bc018aa833afa121_resized.jpg

Soooo...
I'm looking at seeing the real america. I'd love to spend a couple of months trapsing across the country, see the rockies, nevada desert, all that kind of stuff.
But i'd love to see stuff that not everybody sees, i mean, when we travelled england we went to stonehenge, but we more enjoyed finding all the random roman ruins left around that you don't always see pictures of on tourist magazine covers.

So i want suggestions. Something you know of that the average tourist doesn't see (i kinda have a thing for remote places, so that'd be cool if it's somewhere far out).

Nebraska Residents need not reply. I am already aware there is nothing in your state. Haha
wink.gif

Re: Sooo i may make the trip across the big pond.

America is big enough to be regionally distinct. You may want to define the experience you want to have here - i.e. do you want to see man made or geological features that are iconic? Or do you want to sample different kinds of food? Or do you want to experience the regional differences in the people and their corresponding mindset?

Good luck

If you are going to be spending a couple months here, I'd suggest spending a week or so in Texas, quite a lot of variety of people and places.

From huge cities with massive highways, to rual areas with nothing for miles. Plus lots of righteous gun owners. You'll also find that the folks in this state tend to be very friendly.

Also ask around here before you come if there are any of the big gun shows (like Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth) etc happening, as you'll want to visit one of those as a nice break from the laws down there.

There is also a wide variety of landscape, from flat desert up north & west to some really cool hill country hiking places a bit further south.

There is no single America. The banker in Mahnattan has nothing in common with the shrimp boat captain in Louisiana, and neither can relate to the cattle rancher in Wyoming.

America is a straightforward country on its face, but only by staying a while will you see its layers and its true depth. So there can be no substitute for time spent here, with people.

Rather than seeing the sights and getting assaulted by the tourist traps, I would pick a hobby you are interested in and plan to do something here involving that hobby. I just returned from the Sniper's Hide Cup. We had a German fellow shoot the match who came for a visit with his wife. I think he saw a side of America - the good, kind and generous side - that the average tourist rarely sees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest spending a week or so in Texas,</div></div>Thats some funny shit! You can experience flat and hot in about an hour. The only thing worth visiting in Texas is the women. Grab one and get the hell out...

Colorado sucks... I wouldn't visit here, mean people and ugly scenery.

maroonbells.jpg

BLCA.JPG

ColoradoHistoricTrainTour00.jpg

I have lived here all my life, tour a different part of the US every winter, and still haven't seen it all. Once took a 3 year pilgrimage across the country after the war, and still didn't see it all.
One could spend an entire season or two just touring Civil War sites in the south, Indian mounds along the major rivers of central US, and exploring the deserts of Texas, NM, CO, NV and AZ. Even the Sierra Nevada range in eastern CA is not to be seen in a week, since there are isolated mountain lakes, and small streams full of trout to be found.
I have explored Death Valley, for many years, a week at a time, and still haven't found every corner. The desert east of Death Valley and west of Area 51 is full of geologic oddities, ghost towns, and sleepy bars in Beatty and Tonapah. You could also spend half a lifetime touching base on each of the major volcanoes of the pacific northwest, and explore all the minor ones in between. In the process you will meet a lot of people. there are also a lot of back roads and dirt roads leading into the back country. If you have maps, and a decent 4WD, you will see a lot more of the untrammeled.
Good luck. I suggest you join american Auto Club. Get maps for each state, and if you focus on a particular state, get a Gazetteer. If you concentrate on a certain forest area, pick up the local Forest Visitor's Map at a Ranger Station.
Don't trust your GPS, unless you check it against a map.
If you try the Pacific Northwest, drop me a PM. I know the high desert pretty well.

You can see everything you need to see West of the Mississippi, my .02. If you must see more, catch a plane from Seatac to Alaska.

I would take a week or so, starting in Nashville then west to Memphis on I40 and then drop down through the Mississippi Delta stopping in Clarksdale and some of the towns along the way and finish the week down in New Orleans. You'll experience the epicenter of country music, the birthplace of rock and roll, the home of the blues and the capitol of jazz. You'll also meet some "interesting" people that you won't ever forget! The food you'll eat on that route, I'd put up against any food you'll ever eat, anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">America is big enough to be regionally distinct. You may want to define the experience you want to have here - i.e. do you want to see man made or geological features that are iconic? Or do you want to sample different kinds of food? Or do you want to experience the regional differences in the people and their corresponding mindset?

Good luck </div></div>

Well aware of that, it'd be like coming down here. Guess im asking for peoples opinions; if they were to go to the US as a tourist with the knowledge they have of it, what would they suggest to visit and why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to be spending a couple months here, I'd suggest spending a week or so in Texas, quite a lot of variety of people and places.
</div></div>

Texas is 100% on my list for the reasons you've listed.

I'm a geology nut. And i'd love to see Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons.
And of course the Grand Canyon. I guess we don't have them down here and definitely not on the scale of the US.

And yes, i'd love to get some trigger time behind AR's and Pistols. From what i hear Texas is pretty much the gun capital so that'd be another reason i want to go there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rather than seeing the sights and getting assaulted by the tourist traps, I would pick a hobby you are interested in and plan to do something here involving that hobby. I just returned from the Sniper's Hide Cup. We had a German fellow shoot the match who came for a visit with his wife. I think he saw a side of America - the good, kind and generous side - that the average tourist rarely sees. </div></div>

I'd love to be there for the Cup but i feel i wouldn't do it justice to enter. Might return in a few years just for it. But id definitely find myself a few ranges and have a sneak peek at some of the 3 gun comps.

And you're right, it's not straightforward. Neither is Oz. Melbourne is a completely different place to Brisbane and both are completely different to Shitney.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delfuego</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats some funny shit! You can experience flat and hot in about an hour. The only thing worth visiting in Texas is the women. Grab one and get the hell out...
Colorado sucks... I wouldn't visit here, mean people and ugly scenery.
\ </div></div>

Texas women you say? haha...

And yeah, i like deserts, so i'm keen on Texas.
If i can make colorado that'd be amazing, might have to pick a couple of states and spend time exploring just them.

The scenery does look amazing. Australia just doesn't stand up to the US in that respect. We have Beaches, or Reddish-Brown rocks. That's about it.
And rainforest where everything is intent on killing you....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have explored Death Valley, for many years, a week at a time, and still haven't found every corner. The desert east of Death Valley and west of Area 51 is full of geologic oddities, ghost towns, and sleepy bars in Beatty and Tonapah.

Good luck. I suggest you join american Auto Club. Get maps for each state, and if you focus on a particular state, get a Gazetteer. If you concentrate on a certain forest area, pick up the local Forest Visitor's Map at a Ranger Station.

If you try the Pacific Northwest, drop me a PM. I know the high desert pretty well.
</div></div>

Like i said, Geology nut.
And ghost towns would be amazing. I've done a little bit of urb-ex here in the city, just the odd abandoned factory or the lunatic asylum up in bundoora which was interesting. So a whole abandoned town would be too good to pass up.

Cheers for that. There's stuff like companies/organisations that i need to know, that most people would assume is general knowledge but for a tourist i wouldn't know where to start to find my way around or anything...

And i'll definitley keep it in mind if i do head up there. It sounds like it'd be pretty amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can see everything you need to see West of the Mississippi, my .02. If you must see more, catch a plane from Seatac to Alaska. </div></div>

Alaska/Canada would probably be different trips i'd love to do individually to the rest of the US, since the travel costs would probably be prohibitive on this trip.
Cheers though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take a week or so, starting in Nashville then west to Memphis on I40 and then drop down through the Mississippi Delta stopping in Clarksdale and some of the towns along the way and finish the week down in New Orleans. You'll experience the epicenter of country music, the birthplace of rock and roll, the home of the blues and the capitol of jazz. You'll also meet some "interesting" people that you won't ever forget! The food you'll eat on that route, I'd put up against any food you'll ever eat, anywhere. </div></div>

Not a country music fan. More into the Hardcore scene (young guy, remember haha). So Boston would be my stop for that. But i'm not that into music.

New Orleans would be awesome, looks like it's not too far from texas that it couldn't be done for a couple of days or so. And yes, i hear the food down that way is amazing!

I do plan to eat my way across the US. Haha!

Well Alaska is not quite the Blue Mnts of Oz but....these are places no one in the states or land of oz sees except those who gave me the opportunity to hire me experiences but the bullwinkle in my yard. Stupid things are everywhere.

ak_ice_caribou_gal10.jpg

ak_ice_caribou_gal13.jpg

ak_ice_eklutna_gal14.jpg

ak_ice_caribou_gal1.jpg

RapGlr2.jpg

022.jpg

Food, all I serve is bou sausage and smoked/canned salmon and wild blue and salmon berries.
Music, nothing but the sounds of the backcountry.
Meeting the locals, pesky booboo around camp, raiders show up, I really hate it when Mr wolverine decides to show up and get grouchy trying to steal my grayling so I have to send him home.
Crime, gang of wolves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Alaska is not quite the Blue Mnts of Oz but....these are places no one in the states or land of oz sees except those who gave me the opportunity to hire me experiences but the bullwinkle in my yard. Stupid things are everywhere.

ak_ice_caribou_gal10.jpg

ak_ice_caribou_gal13.jpg

ak_ice_eklutna_gal14.jpg

ak_ice_caribou_gal1.jpg

RapGlr2.jpg

022.jpg

Food, all I serve is bou sausage and smoked/canned salmon and wild blue and salmon berries.
Music, nothing but the sounds of the backcountry.
Meeting the locals, pesky booboo around camp, raiders show up, I really hate it when Mr wolverine decides to show up and get grouchy trying to steal my grayling so I have to send him home.
Crime, gang of wolves. </div></div>

Awesome post. This topic needs it's own thread. Great pictures.

No love for the northern midwest? Is everyone against blisteringly cold winters and sweltering humid summers? In all seriousness, the boundary waters canoe area wilderness is one of my favorite places in the country. I'd consider it worth checking out if you can spare a week or two to be alone in a canoe.

Could come by and see some Pure Michigan- check out Isle Royale(http://www.nps.gov/isro/index.htm), see some sights in the Upper Peninsula, link up with a local and hike out to check a trap line, grab a pasty for lunch... Swing down to the Lower Peninsula and do some boating on Torch Lake, wine tasting in Traverse City. Cruise down to the lower east side and visit the Henry Ford Museum and Green Field Village. Take in a Tiger's game before you head out of town. Then make a stop by Sandusky Ohio if you like roller coasters and check out Cedar Point.

You could spend a week in every state in the continental US and still feel like you missed things everywhere you went!

Alaska is a separate trip in itself, probably do it along with Canada in a couple of years. Right now the US dollar is low compared to ours, and from what i've heard getting to Canada/Alaska is expensive compared to the US these days.

I'm looking at the Midwest. I like the cold, so Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Texas. Maybe Arizona on the way back to LA (since the only real flights from Oz come in and out of LAX). Monument Valley is amazing and i've heard the geography down the midwest is pretty unique.

DP424.
Michigan i'll probably visit if i ever do the East coast (which is high on my list of trips. I've seen europe, have no interest for asia or south america. Africa however will be next after the US).