• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

gatorforgeck

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2013
Virginia
I was trying to gauge interest for a project I was working on with a friend. We were considering producing a modern tactical variant of a Spartan sword. It would likely be from 1095 steel and mid-tech production, having both machined and hand worked parts. We'd Cerakote the blade and use machined micarta for the handle, full tang of course. The blade would be approximately 18" long by 2.5" wide by 1/4" thick and have Molon Labe in a contrasting color down the fuller. What do you guys think? What would you be willing to pay for something like this? What questions do you have, what suggestions? Thanks

Would love to see the finished product. Then I would be able to tell you what I would pay for it. Interesting.

Are you doing the Xiphos or the Kopis?

Xiphos:
images

Kopis:
Hossom_Kopis01-ww.jpg

Either way, if it's cool enough and the price is reasonable, I might be down for one.

Xiphos, and we may have a CAD model we can throw up at some point to give you a better idea. Our references are archeological descriptions of the length breadth, weight, and thickness as well as photographs since we don't happen to own an original.

1095 is great steel, but the amount I would pay would depend on:

1. Is the blade simply ground, or is it forged?
2. does it have a differential heat treat like on Samurai swords, or is it all one hardness. If all one hardness, it could be too brittle, or not hold an edge well.
3. Quality and type of scabbard or sheath

The Busse Gladius looks (to me) more like the Xiphos and a gladius had a baby than an actual gladius, but seems sort of like what you're talking about. You should skip the Molon Labe bit, seems a bit hackneyed.

22473.jpg

I would consider a different steel, forge all the blades and research quenching temperatures and time to hit a good hardness.

I work in the oilfield steel industry and 1095 is heavy and not as strong as other steels out there. Noted, others steels are much more expensive. There is a happy medium though.

Also note, these grades will oxidize very quickly. Cerakote will eventually come off and if you are not taking REALLY good care of it, it will be rusty in no time.