• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sprint Car Driver Dies After Being Hit By Tony Stewart

A sad day for motorsports. My heart goes out to all involved.

There isn't a race driver on the track who hasn't threatened another driver for past, present or future agressive driving real or imagined..

Maybe Bill Elliot. Probably the mildest mannered guy ever in NASCAR.

Freeze frame the video and watch the left front wheel and listen to the engine noise.

So freezing the frame only shows the car reacting to the hit on the wheel. Bottom line is the kid broke a cardinal rule on a track where, from the drivers seat, visibility is NILL to either side, and basically walked into Stewert's car. WTF was he going to do, grab the car and stop it so he could start a fight? GTFO! You ever sat in one fo those cars, or drove one around the track at speed? I know from expereince, that the side vies is straight metal wing aero, and frontal view is metal, bars and more metal from the top front of the wing. I don't know about you, but all I see is just enough to go fast, and not hit a wall or another car.
If you look at how these cars handle to go into a corner, remember, you turn right to go left which is what Stewert's car was doing in the video.

PS, not a big bruiser V8, but a midget with the same basic build specs, wings and all. Having taken a short two lap drive in the big cars, same view, jack shit but straight to the front

So freezing the frame only shows the car reacting to the hit on the wheel. Bottom line is the kid broke a cardinal rule on a track where, from the drivers seat, visibility is NILL to either side, and basically walked into Stewert's car. WTF was he going to do, grab the car and stop it so he could start a fight? GTFO! You ever sat in one fo those cars, or drove one around the track at speed? I know from expereince, that the side vies is straight metal wing aero, and frontal view is metal, bars and more metal from the top front of the wing. I don't know about you, but all I see is just enough to go fast, and not hit a wall or another car.
If you look at how these cars handle to go into a corner, remember, you turn right to go left which is what Stewert's car was doing in the video.

PS, not a big bruiser V8, but a midget with the same basic build specs, wings and all. Having taken a short two lap drive in the big cars, same view, jack shit but straight to the front

Actually there is speculation from some people that ward was trying to grab the spoiler and tip the car.

they state how the car reacts to the hit, and how long it takes for ward to be flung.

Witnesses describe fatal collision involving Tony Stewart | On Air Videos | Fox News

Quote -A man pulled over on the side of the Interstate, exited his car, and jumped in front of a Semi. Obviously the man who jumped in front of the truck is "to blame" for that instance, and the tragedy that took place on the race track on Saturday night is no different-
This is an interesting way to put it, BUT if the Semi trucker sped up instead of braking does that change things?

thats no shit i love all these fuckers that have never sat in a sprint much less even been at a race saying this and that. Best i heard was an "expert" talking about what gear tony was in during the cation. When you sit in one the field of view is small and with a big wing hanging of the right side you dont see shit. The bottom line end all fact is dont get out of your car and you wont get run over.

This is a bullet circle track racing in America has been dodging for decades. Kids love to emulate the big leaguers. It took the death of Dale Earnhardt to prod NASCAR into getting serious about protecting their drivers in the car. Yet they still let them get out of their cars and behave like hooligans, with little or no repercussion. And the video of the incident gets the guilty party on Sports Center.

NASCAR tolerates this shit because it puts butts in the bleachers, but their tacit approval made this tragedy inevitable. If it hadn't been young Mr. Ward and Tony Stewart, eventually it would have been two other Good Ol' Boys.

Now maybe would be a good time for NASCAR to take the time to remind all drivers that there's only one man who can stop a wrecking ball with his face, without mussing his hair...

...and you ain't him.

It's all fun and games, until somebody gets killed.

Last edited:
been going to the races since i was born so the first few years i cant really say but the last 30 i remember twice some one getting out on the track. Generally you waited till after the race was over and duked it out in the pits. Its not like it happens as much as it is portrayed to. Brother who is in racing as a living traveling around the country with the lucas oil late models and world of out law lates remembers seeing it happen only a few times also.

The latest from NASCAR:

-------------------------------------------------------

NASCAR drivers will no longer be able to get out of their cars to angrily confront another driver in a moving vehicle.

"During an event if a race car is involved in an on-track incident, and/or is stopped on or near the racing surface, and unable to continue, to make forward progress," Pemberton said, reading from the new rule. "Unless extenuating circumstances or conditions exist with the race car, example on fire, smoke in the cockpit, etc, the driver should take the following steps: shut off all electrical power and if the driver is uninjured, lower the window net. Do not loosen, disconnect or remove any driver personal safety equipment until directed to do so by safety personnel or a NASCAR official. After being directed to exit the race car, the driver should proceed to the ambulance or other vehicle or as otherwise directed by safety personnel or a NASCAR official."

"At no time should a driver or crew member or members approach any portion of the racing surface or apron. At no time should a driver, crew member or members approach another moving vehicle. All vehicles not involved in the incident or that are able to continue afterward should slow down to a cautious speed as outlined in [NASCAR rule] 10.4: yellow flag rules."

The rule is in response to the incident with Tony Stewart and Kevin Ward at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park Saturday night. After Ward hit the wall, he unstrapped himself from the car and walked down the track to confront Stewart. He was hit by Stewart's car and killed.

"It was one of those that was obviously, everybody paid attention to and [the rule] is on the heels of that," Pemberton said.

The rule will be applied on a case-by-case basis and drivers will likely have to show significant intent of a confrontation to be penalized.

Stewart is not racing at Michigan this weekend. Jeff Burton is driving in his place. The investigation into the incident is still ongoing and Stewart is not currently facing any criminal charges. Ward's funeral was Thursday.

After being involved in an incident, NASCAR drivers have not been prohibited from exiting their cars – angrily or not – before safety workers arrive. Many times if a driver is unhurt and even without circumstances like a fire, smoke or other factors, drivers quickly unbuckle their safety equipment, and begin the process of removing themselves from the vehicle before safety equipment arrives. That no longer is allowed.

And yes, this rule does eliminate the possibilty of a helmet-throwing confrontation at the risk of severe penalties. Brad Keselowski admitted Tuesday that those type of confrontations had become a big part of the sport.

"I would say it has become that way, there's no doubt about that," Keselowski said. "I think if you look at the highlight reels that are shown, you think of Bristol, you think of Tony, other drivers at Bristol that have been known for it, Danica, whatnot. It certainly has become common, accepted practice."

Pemberton said Friday that safety trumped everything though it may take some time for fans to realize that the possibility of confrontation no longer exists. However, with what happened on Saturday night, our view of on-track confrontations had already been significantly altered.

"This rule is really put in place for the safety of all our competitors and it's safety first right now," Pemberton said.

Following the death of Dale Earnhardt in 2001, NASCAR made closed-face helmets and head and neck restraints mandatory for all drivers. (Earnhardt was wearing an open-faced helmet and no head and neck restraint.) After ARCA driver Eric Martin was killed in a practice crash at Charlotte in 2002 in an incident that could have been prevented with spotters stationed on top of the grandstands, NASCAR made it mandatory that spotters were perched up high in spotters stands for all race-weekend sessions.

Tony Stewart, doing the job that Charles Darwin was unable to do in the first 20 years of this young man's life.

The latest from NASCAR:

-------------------------------------------------------

NASCAR drivers will no longer be able to get out of their cars to angrily confront another driver in a moving vehicle.

"During an event if a race car is involved in an on-track incident, and/or is stopped on or near the racing surface, and unable to continue, to make forward progress," Pemberton said, reading from the new rule. "Unless extenuating circumstances or conditions exist with the race car, example on fire, smoke in the cockpit, etc, the driver should take the following steps: shut off all electrical power and if the driver is uninjured, lower the window net. Do not loosen, disconnect or remove any driver personal safety equipment until directed to do so by safety personnel or a NASCAR official. After being directed to exit the race car, the driver should proceed to the ambulance or other vehicle or as otherwise directed by safety personnel or a NASCAR official."

"At no time should a driver or crew member or members approach any portion of the racing surface or apron. At no time should a driver, crew member or members approach another moving vehicle. All vehicles not involved in the incident or that are able to continue afterward should slow down to a cautious speed as outlined in [NASCAR rule] 10.4: yellow flag rules."

The rule is in response to the incident with Tony Stewart and Kevin Ward at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park Saturday night. After Ward hit the wall, he unstrapped himself from the car and walked down the track to confront Stewart. He was hit by Stewart's car and killed.

"It was one of those that was obviously, everybody paid attention to and [the rule] is on the heels of that," Pemberton said.

The rule will be applied on a case-by-case basis and drivers will likely have to show significant intent of a confrontation to be penalized.

Stewart is not racing at Michigan this weekend. Jeff Burton is driving in his place. The investigation into the incident is still ongoing and Stewart is not currently facing any criminal charges. Ward's funeral was Thursday.

After being involved in an incident, NASCAR drivers have not been prohibited from exiting their cars – angrily or not – before safety workers arrive. Many times if a driver is unhurt and even without circumstances like a fire, smoke or other factors, drivers quickly unbuckle their safety equipment, and begin the process of removing themselves from the vehicle before safety equipment arrives. That no longer is allowed.

And yes, this rule does eliminate the possibilty of a helmet-throwing confrontation at the risk of severe penalties. Brad Keselowski admitted Tuesday that those type of confrontations had become a big part of the sport.

"I would say it has become that way, there's no doubt about that," Keselowski said. "I think if you look at the highlight reels that are shown, you think of Bristol, you think of Tony, other drivers at Bristol that have been known for it, Danica, whatnot. It certainly has become common, accepted practice."

Pemberton said Friday that safety trumped everything though it may take some time for fans to realize that the possibility of confrontation no longer exists. However, with what happened on Saturday night, our view of on-track confrontations had already been significantly altered.

"This rule is really put in place for the safety of all our competitors and it's safety first right now," Pemberton said.

Following the death of Dale Earnhardt in 2001, NASCAR made closed-face helmets and head and neck restraints mandatory for all drivers. (Earnhardt was wearing an open-faced helmet and no head and neck restraint.) After ARCA driver Eric Martin was killed in a practice crash at Charlotte in 2002 in an incident that could have been prevented with spotters stationed on top of the grandstands, NASCAR made it mandatory that spotters were perched up high in spotters stands for all race-weekend sessions.

They were NEVER allowed to get out of their Car's unless it was on fire. This is at EVERY level of racing, and is repeated and focuced on in EVERY driver meeting. If a driver got out of his car(while not on fire) at almost every track here in the US, he would recieve a lifetime track ban for himself and his team. My dad was a chief mechanic for a nascar team for a few years with a winston series car, and said the same thing. Its just a puff piece of the racing leagues making it look like they are doing something. Reality is, its ALWAYS been there. If they want to stop it, Make it a lifetime ban for getting out of of a car thats not on fire for Sprint Cup drivers. Too bad they care more about drumming up drama than saftey. Small tracks don't make that kind of cheddar, and an incedent like the recent one could bankrupt a track from lawsuits and lawyer fees. Even loosing their insurance would be a death blow.

if you ever race on tracks then you know he broke rule #1. stay off the damn track.

Does anyone here think that Stewart won't return to racing after this incident? If not in total, at least in the Dirt Track races.

I think that this incident may put the cap on his career. He's an owner, got tons of money, and drivers don't do well if their head isn't totally in the game.

Of course there is also the "revenge factor". He may become a target for drivers that want to teach Tony a lesson in all the races he were to enter from here out. All it takes is a little innocent "tap" in the right place @ 200 mph and poof, there goes a bunch of money in another wrecked car.

It is really hard to say, but I do believe that he will return to sprint car racing. I think he has to return to NASCAR due to sponsorship agreements and ccontracts.

I also don't think there would be much of a revenge factor in NASCAR. On the dirt tracks in the northeast that may be a different story, but I think most other places would be fine.

I always kind of wondered why it took so long for ward to be flung forward of the car.

And I've hinted before there was some speculation that he tried to grab Stewart's car.

TONY STEWART NEVER HIT KEVIN WARD Jr. While answe…: http://youtu.be/MmusFB_Q8nk

^ That's actually pretty compelling.

You can clearly see the right side of Tony's car dip from (what logically seems to be) the weight of Ward having climbed aboard.

Kinda blurry, but based on the positioning of the white stripes of Ward's suit, it does appear he was all up on Tony's car for a short while before falling off.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that at ALL when I watched the video before.

That is compelling.

Regardless of that, and that Ward deserves a Darwin Award for what he did, the fact remains that Stewart provoked it by bumping the guy. I expect that if for no other reason, he is really questioning himself. Would not want to be Tony right now.

That is compelling.

Regardless of that, and that Ward deserves a Darwin Award for what he did, the fact remains that Stewart provoked it by bumping the guy. I expect that if for no other reason, he is really questioning himself. Would not want to be Tony right now.

Rubbing is racing.

That is compelling.

with all the sprint car races i have been at i would not even call that a bump. Tony tried to run him up the track and the other guy didnt lift hit the cushion and in the rubarb he went. The first time i watched it i thought he tried to grab the spoiler up front but thought maybe i was imagining stuff but maybe i wasnt.

The only who really knows what happened is Tony Stewart.

Chances are the professional racer with a long and storied career didn't kill the kid on purpose. But only Tony knows.

IF it was intentional, he will face a much harsher judgement at the gates to the afterlife.

...the fact remains that Stewart provoked it by bumping the guy...
You don't bump a car from in front. That's just an absurd mischaracterization. It's the job of the driver who's behind to figure out how to get past the guy in the lead. It's the guy in the lead's job not to let him. This is what is colloquially known as "racing." Cutting off the overtaking driver, brake checks and what have you, are just S-O-P. If you're not prepared to accept that, maybe you should be driving a bread truck instead of a sprint car.

Small tracks don't make that kind of cheddar, and an incedent like the recent one could bankrupt a track from lawsuits and lawyer fees.

Coincidentally, I drove past the local dirt track in my small village (Black Rock Speedway) earlier this week and saw a 'For Sale' sign in front of their (blank) event program sign. I may have missed it earlier this Summer, but it does lend some credence to the above statement.

Times have been rough for BRS over the past few years, and the current ownership hasn't been incumbent all that long. This seems like the Canandaigua track's misfortune might have been a straw too many for BRS' camel. The night of the Canandaigua incident, there were several Sprint Cup Drivers racing the same classes here at Dundee BRS as Tony at Canandaigua. The stands were packed.

I look around at the businesses and attractions around here in CNY, and it still looks like 'the recovery' hasn't really trickled down to our region as of yet. Lots of strip malls (Rochester, Elmira, Buffalo, etc.) with a noticeable proportion of the rentals marked 'available'.

A distant (by my Daughter's marriage) family member (Brady Foltz) drives dirt around here, so we get some feedback about the tracks and races.

Greg

Last edited:
Small tracks don't make that kind of cheddar, and an incedent like the recent one could bankrupt a track from lawsuits and lawyer fees. Even loosing their insurance would be a death blow.

There are all kinds of waivers signed by drivers that race on these tracks as well as those who come in close proximity to them during the race (track safety workers, etc).

There's an implied acceptance that the sport has it's inherent risks and it's really tough for driver or their estate to sue a track because of this.

Where the major risk comes is the audience. Have a car, or piece of one, go into the crowd and NOW you have some serious liability.

In this incident the risk was created solely by the driver that chose to leave the safety of his car and "go play in traffic". Unless someone can prove that Stewart "put him in his sights", it's a tragic accident.

As for putting small tracks out of business? They do that to themselves by over-charging, not maintaining the facility, and not providing the quality of competition that the public would like to see. People will drive hundreds of miles to see a good dirt race. There's a track about 60 miles from my house and for the last half century people have been traveling from across the country to either race there or just watch. Lots of RV's from the mid-west and elsewhere start to show up two or three days before the events. Track is located in a town with a population of 403 according to the last census.