• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

thank you Hummer and Suasponte

found these tumbler barrels for sale
2 seize one il 16x15 inches $225
the other is 10 3/4x10 1/2 $134
with the big one should be able to tumbles couple hundres 30-06 case or more....
tl6barrelb.jpg

they are from
tumblers

think I will make my tumblers will take part from my corn cub tumbles home made also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canuck4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I have the contact to get some media please
thanks Michel </div></div>

PM sent for contact info!

Also, interesting find for the tumbler barrels!

Terry

is everyone finding their Thumlers motor to run SUPER HOT? I mean so hot you can only touch it for second without getting burned.

I believe mine is the low speed motor and after several hours of constant running, its HOT....you arent going to keep your hand on it for more than maybe a second, if that, and you may just get burned!

That normal?

I just did a fairly heavy load...1/2 the container filled with water before I added the cases and media and then 1000 rounds of 9mm cases (plus media, soap, Lemishine). I ran it for 3 hours (I have a high speed model) and the motor was warm, but not hot. As a added data point, the ambient temp in the room where the tumbler is located was in the high 80's.

Maybe you're running too much for the motor and it's overloading it? Have you tried running a lighter load? Say 500 9mm cases, 1/3 container of water (plus soap, media, Lemishine, etc.)

Terry, I swear, every time I do a load with this setup, I'm constantly amazed. These cases come out so clean and sparkly that it's as if I'm getting new manufactured brass for free!
smile.gif

My buddy GAU17 ran a load with small ceramic ball media and while it didn't clean the corners as well, it made the brass SUPER shiny...almost like someone hand polished them with Mother's or Flitz metal polish!

I think my cleaning regiment (for my match rifle rounds) will be this...1) Deprime cases (Lee Universal Deprimer Die), 2) Tumble for 3 hours with SS media, 3) Lube and size cases, 4) Tumble with ceramic media (maybe 2 hours?), 5) Prep Primer Pocket, Trim Case, Prime and finish load...

Might seem a bit over the top but I think sizing clean brass is better and since I have to take off the lube after sizing anyways, might as well get a nice shine out of the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe mine is the low speed motor and after several hours of constant running, its HOT....you arent going to keep your hand on it for more than maybe a second, if that, and you may just get burned!

That normal? </div></div>

Call Thumlers and tell them what is going on! I am sure they will take care of you!

Make sure you not overloading the tumbler! 15lbs is it's rated capacity after all. I have a 75lb digital scale and I always try to keep it 18lbs or less.

Recce556:

I have been using this system close to 4.5yrs and still get amazed when I pop the lid and dump off a gallon of BLACK Water to see a pile of Gold brass.

Terry

could someone tell me the capacity of the Tumler model B in gallons
if I am not mistaken its one gallon would like to have it confirmed
this will help choose the barrel for my tumbler project....
was going to take a 8 gallons barrel but suasponte made me notice that it would weight to much and I think his got a point there
there is a barrel I can get its 2.5 gallons capacity
answer would be a great help....

one more question from canuck
his it better to have a bigger tumbler barrel half full
or a smaller one fill to capacity
wich one will be more efficient in cleaning
ask this on another thread but not response up to now
thought I asked here since we are in this subject
thank you

I would say it would be better to go with a larger barrel half full.
More room for everything to move around and polish.

Yes the Thumlers motors will get warm. If I remember correctly about 120F is pain threshold. 155 at one second exposure will give you 3rd degree burn. Forget what it is for second degree.

Mobil 1 synthetic oil is the key to keeping electric motors going.

Weigh your brass and figure out how much brass plus weight of a gallon of water and add 5 pounds for the media weight and you will know how much you can do.

media and cases should fill drum about half full before water is added. This is what I have used for years with no problems. I have a Mod A Thumlers converted to take a Mod B drum and the A motor is smaller than Mod B so I ran it for two years with Mobil 1 and only reason I took it off is a friend gave me a 1/5th HP high speed motor and it flies now ! ! ! ! they can be had from Graingers.

Weight of 1 US Gallon of water = approx. 8.35 lb
Media weigh's 5 lb.

Doesn't leave much does it?

I use a small plastic bucket that hold's 64 oz or 1.89L of tzatziki cucumber sauce.
Their free at a local fast food place called "The Pita Pit"
Really tight fitting lid's, and semi transparent,I use these to both measure the volume I'm putting into the drum and to store batch's of different brass that are ready to load.
The bucket's themselve's are made by Venture Packaging Inc,Monroeville Ohio.
Molded onto the bottomI believe it's the model number EF61064-3

the more I read this I think I will buy the tumbler barrel that I found on page 19 see pics
it a 8 gallons capacity and load it to the weigh that is not to hard to manipulate
at least the cases and media will have a lots of space to move around should be more efficient

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5lbs of Stainless media, 1 Gallon of warm water + Plus dish soap (Optional addition of Lemishine or Teaspoon of Citranox), and brass.

Model "B" is rated for 15lbs:

1) Media = 5lbs
2) Water = 8lbs (approx)
3) Brass = 2lbs

Every once and awhile I toss my drum when its loaded on my 50lb rated digital scale to make sure I am at or under that rating.

Thumlers Tumblers are tanks! They last for ever, but I recommend not to overload the drum.

308 brass = .4oz > 80 cases approx 2lbs
223 brass = .2oz > 160 cases
45 brass = .2oz > 160 cases
40 S&W = .15oz > 212 cases
9mm = .14oz > 228 cases

Above is a guide line for qty's based on 5lbs media and 8lbs (1 gallon of water).

I just put exactly 1 gallon of water in my empty drum. The water level was 1 1/4" below the top of the rubber inner liner.
So, with the 5lbs of media in with the water I would say the 7lbs of water would leave a safe level to add brass without over flow.

Based on that you can figure:

3 lbs of brass into the drum!

Refigure from above 16oz = 1lb

16 / .4 = 40 x 3 = 120case of 308's
16 / .2 = 80 x 3 = 240case of 223's & 45's
16 / .15 = 106 x 3 = 318cases of 40S&W
16 / .14 = 114 x 3 = 342cases of 9mm

All the above case weights was taken on a DI-MXX123 so they are pretty close.

This is a guideline only. Because I know that I typically clean 200 308's per batch!

Just be mindful that the rated capacity is 15lbs! If its anything like calculating steel beams for loads I am sure that they have a safety factor in that load rating!

Just play it smart! I have found if you can tumble in small batches it cleans better and takes less time! I try to keep close to what I have figured above.

Hope it helps!

Terry
</div></div>

What I figured awhile back!

Terry

Suasponte
I made my choice it will be the 2.5 gallon capacity drum
wich able me to do 250 cases of 30-06 with 3 pound media and 2 gallons of water
total weight approximately 40 pounds
still manageable
after my moose hunt next week will order everything
by the way your media source was very helpful
canuck

Suasponte
this is exactly the barrel I am getting
tl4barrelb.jpg

[img:center]TL-4 Tumbler Barrel

here is a link to the company
link
barrel

SUASPONTE THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN CHOOSING WISELY MY BARREL WITH YOUR CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS.......
was going to make a mistake in taking the 8 gallons barrel it would of weight near 100 lbs
this 2.5 gallons with 250 30-06 casing 3 pounds of media and 2 gallons of water is 40 pounds

will be calling Mark in 2 weeks after my moose hunt for the media

So I found a bag of 100 .223 Rem cases that I deprimed, sized and cleaned in a vibratory cleaner a couple of months ago. I figured that I might as well throw them in the thumbler...this is what the water looked like after cleaning "already cleaned" cases...

10gzqxi.jpg

I also found that my wire mesh basket in from my Crest Ultrasonic cleaner works perfectly as a media separator. I pour out just the dirty water from the thumbler bucket and I rinse the batch with clean HOT water. I then dump the water, media and cases through the wire mesh basket into a large wash basket and shake the media out while the basket is under water. Works great as the SS media falls out better and more consistently than using a typical "dry" rotary media separator. I then pour the water and media through a large fine mesh strainer (like the kind you use in the kitchen) to catch all the media. System works great so far...

I got my media in May or June, and got my tumbler from Buffalo Arms in August, but didn't have a chance to try it out until now. I ran two loads, 100 cases of .260 Rem. each (plus 15 6.5x284 cases in the first load).

I just used a squirt of ivory, a 9mm case full of Lemishine, and 4-5 hours later the cases come out clean. Five hours gives you clean as new brass, primer pockets and insides, etc. Four hours is clean enough for government work (slightly dull on the inside, a minor ring of soot in the primer pocket).

I like that I don't have to pick pieces of walnut out of the flasholes, and there's no nasty dust.

A definite thumbs up.

Without reading back thru 20 pages of this thread, can someone give me a synopsis of the formula used to clean the brass. I now have the ss media and the high speed tumbler.

1oz of Ivory soap or Dawn, and a 9mm or 40S&W case fo Lemishine into the water.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First and foremost,

Thank You Terry!!!

I have received my SS Media from "The Source" and had the privilege of speaking with him at length yesterday.
My Thumbler's in inbound from Buffalo Arms and I can hardly wait to start playing.

While I'm waiting, I thought that I would post all the different info I have found regarding this method of brass prep here.
(I had to search a bunch of different threads to put all the pieces together and thought that I might save others the trouble.)

Media:
Stainless Steel Rods 0.040" dia x .25" long
$47 per 5 lbs shipped
Source: "Confidential" (PM suasponte for contact info)

Tumbler:
Thumbler's Tumbler Model B High Speed $167.39
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4506.html

QUICK START:
1 Gallon of HOT Distilled Water
1 Tsp Dawn Liquid Dish Detergent
1 9mm case full of Lemishine

Batch Size:
100 308 Cases
200 .223, 9mm, .45, or .40 cal Cases
(It is strongly recommended that all brass is de-capped and crimps removed prior to tumbling.)

Tumbling Time:
4 - 8 Hrs (Never exceed 12 hours)

Separate Cases & Media
Let brass dry overnight.

Terry's Video's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHL8w7aWyl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTeJ7ioEUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9AMv-1V4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZmiSCE5W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzGA0lebq-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWjLuWOFAs

Terry,
If you object to this post or think it needs to be amended, please let me know and I will be happy to do so.

Cheers,
Phil
</div></div>

Credit given to Phil for posting!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Please note:</span> Media cost has increased since this was posted.
Also, 3-4 hours should get you there. Distilled water is not required for the desired results.

Terry

I use an old sears rock tumbler and a few drops of dawn and these things come out like new. Since ive bought this media my lyman vibratory hasnt been used.

Just a heads up I just found the thumler B at hobbywarehouse.com for 159.99 14.99 shipping. Put in "online" coupon code and you get 10 % off. They say they are instock I guess we will see. Just thought I would pass it on.
Rad

Terry does anyone keep Citanox instock in your area or do you order it. I live in Mobile Alabama and was just wondering if anyone ie chemical supply places kept it in stock where you live? Or does everyone just order? Amazon has it for 40.00 a gallon plus 11.75 shipping. For the amount you use 100:1 thats dirt cheap but but I'm 48 years old I don't think my daughter will have any use for it when I'm gone:)

I checked all my local retailers that was supposed to carry it and none of them did. I ended up ordering it off the WWW.

If your using the SS media, Ivory soap and Lemishine the addition of Citranox will gain you nothing. The olny reason I have Citranox was several years back before I was introduced to SS media by Mark I to used Ultrasonic. The Citranox I have is from the days of ultrasonic. I still have been using it for my range bottle that I take to drop my deprimed brass into.

I would save the money and just use the perfect recipe.

SS media, Ivory Soap (1oz), and a 9mm of 40S&W case of Lemishine. I have yet to find a better combo, not saying that there is not. Tons of guys have tried every soap combo you can think of and most guys tell me they end up back at the give lemishine.

Also, After I use up my last bottle of Citranox I plan on using the Lemishine and Ivory soap for my range bottle.

Terry

Have been using this method for a little while now. Works fantastic... I couldn't be happier.

I would love to try it but ive been waiting many many weeks for my stainless media tumbler to arrive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't see how you could F*@$ this up! Water, Soap, Media, brass, & Lemi shine! 4 hours and Viola, clean brass!</div></div>

my sorry-ass old eyes are kicking my butt. I must have missed the numbers some where but can someone please help me out with:

How <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">many</span></span> ounces of Water,
How <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">many</span></span> ounces of Soap,
How <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">many</span></span> ounces of Lemi shine

for each Thumlers Tumbler full of stainless steel media and .308 brass?

DSCI0005-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here are the Instructions with the amounts </div></div>
Thank you very much. Don't know how I overlooked that.

reprinted from http://stainlesstumblingmedia.com

Instructions
Notice. It takes a few times to get the media broke in. The media is dirty form manufacturing process and has a few burs. Media does not work in a vibratory cleaner

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">1. Add 5 Lbs of SS media into the drum

2. Next fill with one gallon of cold water. (One gallon)=8 Lbs

3. Add your unprimed brass into the drum.

4. Then add your soap. 1 -2 Tbs of ether Dawn,Ivory,Joy dish soap (if there are no soap bubbles in the water after you tumble, you need more soap)

5. 1/4 Tsp. of Lemishine. This is the key to the shine. (Not to much)

6. Tumble 1-4 hours with the High Speed Thumler’s Tumbler

7. Pour out as much water as you can without losing any brass or pins (The more you can flush out the soap, and dirty water out of the drum. The better your results will be next time)

8. Fill drum back up with water, and ether separate brass by hand while holding it underwater. Or use a media separator

9. Rinse your brass off really good with some warm water. (Not getting a good rinse can leave water spots on the brass)

10. Dump brass onto a towel and let dry. </span></span>

Just a quick question, I am sure it is mentioned in the 20 pages of this topic but, how loud is this process with say the Thumler Tumbler B? Louder or quieter than a Lyman tumbler for basic shining?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a quick question, I am sure it is mentioned in the 20 pages of this topic but, how loud is this process with say the Thumler Tumbler B? Louder or quieter than a Lyman tumbler for basic shining? </div></div>

Bottom of page #2 is a video posted by Palmik showing the tumbler in action! I think that the tumbler is just a tad less annoying than the hum of a vibratory.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up I just found the thumler B at hobbywarehouse.com for 159.99 14.99 shipping. Put in "online" coupon code and you get 10 % off. They say they are instock I guess we will see. Just thought I would pass it on.
Rad </div></div>

I looked at the site and also looked at Thumler’s site, which incidentally has not been updated in years, and have a question for all of you Thumler’s experts. How can one differentiate the low speed vs. high speed motors? The one at Buffalo Arms seems to do this by adding “HS” at the end of the part number but I am not sure that it is their addition (unique ID#) or a distinction from Thumler. Other vendors muddy the waters with other unique identifiers (see below).

Thumler's Tumbler (Manufacturer)
Model B (Stk #140) – No differation between High Speed vs. low Speed
http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html
The standard of handloading experts. Heavy Duty, professional quality tumbler. Features larger, more powerful motor - continous duty, fan-cooled with overload protection. Steel hexagon barrel with removable rubber lining for long, efficient and quiet operation. 15lb capacity. 5 year guarantee on barrel and liner.

Hobby Warehouse
Thumler's Tumblers Model B Rock Tumbler - ITEM # THU140-GP - $159.00
http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/thumlers-tumblers/THU140-Thumlers-Tumblers-Model-B-Rock-Tumbler
Barrel rotates at 30 rpm. Inside Dimensions of the barrel are 8" deep x 6.5" wide.
This is the 140 Model B Rock Tumbler

Buffalo Arms Co.
Thumler's Tumbler Model B High Speed Heavy Duty - Item #: TT140HS - $167.29
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4506.html
This is the high speed heavy duty version of the Model B Thumler's Tumbler, using the 1/30 horse power 3000 rpm motor (drum speed of 40 rpm) to clean your brass fast when using ceramic, walnut or corn media! Do not confuse this high speed Model B Heavy Duty with the Model B tumbler using the slower and smaller motor. This is a heavy duty, professional quality tumbler, that features larger, more powerful fan cooled motor with overload protection. Steel hexagon barrel with removable rubber lining for long, efficient and quiet operation. 15 lb. capacity. 5 year guarantee on barrel and liner.

Cabela's
Thumler's Tumbler Model B Rotary Tumbler Item: IK-212489 - $179.99
http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Thumlers-Tumbler-Model-B-Rotary-Tumbler--705690.uts.shtml

The Model B Rotary Tumbler works equally well with dry or liquid case cleaners. with a barrel rotation of 30 rpm and a motor speed of 3,000 rpm, the rotary action is great for cleaning grimy primer pockets. It has room for 250 .30-06 size cases at a time.

I realize that both the low speed and high speed will work, but if I am going to spend the money I would like to get the high speed and just want to ensure I am getting the unit I am after.

Any buying advice would be appreciated.

- Mike

Mike:

I have both the HS and LS versions! 3-4 hour tumbles in both I cannot tell the difference in the cleanliness of the brass.

If it was I buying a new one I would buy the cheapest one I could! They both will do the job.

Terry

I just did my first batch and all I can say is, WOW!! I am sold, I doubt I'll ever use my corn cob tumbler ever again! Anyone interested in using this system to clean brass, I would be glad to help. There is no comparison bar none! Thanks, Stainless Steel media!

I just tried the SS media method. I decided from the beginning that I didn't want to breathe even one grain of dust so I went with the liquid solution and now I've added SS media to it:

In a Harbor Freight rock tumbler (soon to be replaced with a Thumlers) my liquid solution is dishwashing detergent, a little bit of lemishine and the cases banging against themselves while rotating. The view of the primer pocket is indicative of what the inside of the case looks like after liquid-only cleaning.

Short answer: I'm sticking with SS media and liquid solution but for the recommended 4 hours

on a sidenote, the black water that comes out after cleaning is 2/3 abraded rubber and 1/3 carbon. Its been that way since my first liquid-only cleaning with the rock tumbler.

p409986510.jpg

p202018712.jpg

p284457920.jpg

p381534050.jpg

p65883175.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up I just found the thumler B at hobbywarehouse.com for 159.99 14.99 shipping. Put in "online" coupon code and you get 10 % off. They say they are instock I guess we will see. Just thought I would pass it on.
Rad </div></div>
thanks, just ordered it now and "online" in the coupon code area does still work

Dan:

Thanks for posting photos!

Terry

Poll results as of 10/14/2010 @ 7:30pm EST

10-14-10poll.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike:

I have both the HS and LS versions! 3-4 hour tumbles in both I cannot tell the difference in the cleanliness of the brass.

If it was I buying a new one I would buy the cheapest one I could! They both will do the job.

Terry </div></div>

Thanks Terry!

I may try to pick up this deal then if I can swing the cash. Great bunch of folks here!!!

- Mike

Hey y'all, my first post here, woot!

Anyway, I've been looking a lot at this thread and read the whole think, and have been thinking of investing in it, but was curious, would it be possible to tumble something other than brass, say, the bolt of an AR-15? I'm just wondering if it would be bad for it at all or the likely hood of one of the pins getting stuck. If anyone had done this or doesn't do it for a particular reason please let me know.

Thanks.

Why would you want to tumble your bolt out of your AR??? Non-chlorinated brake cleaner and a tooth brush works wonders for me.

Terry