• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG shooters..... shot groups? pics?

MrClean

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2008
Jackson, Mississippi
Hey,
I know it's not a GAP but surely there are a few Steyr SSG owners out there that can post accuracy results and maybe some pics of targets? Even of your rifle would be cool, just curious how accurate your rifles are.

Thanks!

Re: Steyr SSG shooters..... shot groups? pics?

Have an Elite 08- Gives 2" groups at 300m all day long- with Norma Dimond line ammo. Will not shoot Noslers worth a darn for some reason!

I had a Steyer SSG-04 that I shoot with at 300 meters a group of 20 Lapua 167 Grain rounds into less than 5.50 centimeters it shoot real good the action is smooth the magazine is reliable my only problem is that the barrel is shrink fit into the action and it’s a problem to change, a friend of mine pulled of the barrel and threaded the action so that problem could be solved

I recently moved away from Steyr. The SSG is a fantastic platform and well capable of exceptional accuracy. My biggest concern was the lack of support from Steyr USA. I had a magwell crack and ordered a replacement in August of 2008, it arrived in April of 2009. Luckily I had a replacement otherwise I would have had a really expensive paperweight. I have owned several SSG's over the years (the stocks will crack). I replaced the factory with McMillan...
June6003.jpg

Be carefull that the sound suppressor doesnt pull your barrel out
Not joking

It would take an act of God to "pull that barrel out"...have no idea what you are on about???

Saw it happens with my own eyes once on SSG-69 P IV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would take an act of God to "pull that barrel out"...have no idea what you are on about??? </div></div>

Act of God? Doubt it.

More like a Law of Physics.

I think since they opened up the website in FEB. that most everything is available with just a simple click.

IMHO,
Mark

I don't have it anymore but had a SSG PIIK and it was the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned. I loved that rifle but sold it whent the stock cracked. I think they are awesome accuracy wise but the stock is definately the weak point. FWIW IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Independent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have it anymore but had a SSG PIIK and it was the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned. I loved that rifle but sold it when the stock cracked. I think they are awesome accuracy wise but the stock is definately the weak point. FWIW IMHO </div></div>

Your experience dovetails with mine.

Im comfortable with the "Act of God" on this one...I cannot imagine how a suppressor could pull the barrel out of the reciever...I have owned a PI, PII and PIIK ...

"The barrel is 26 inches in length and features a heavy contour along with a target crown. Internally, the rifling consists of four lands and grooves. The twist rate is 1 turn in 12 inches. The interesting thing about the rifling is that it is rotary-hammer forged over a mandrel. Barrel blanks are placed over a mandrel and then a rotary hammer forges the barrel both internally and externally, which explains the unique "spiral" external appearance of the barrel. I've been told that there is a slight taper in the bore from breech to muzzle, but this I cannot discern nor quantify. Another unique feature is the longer than usual barrel shank-to-receiver fit. The barrel screws into the receiver for a distance of 57mm, which is longer than most rifles; furthermore, once the barrel has been screwed into the receiver, a concentric press exerts ten tons of pressure around the area where the barrel meets with the receiver. Needless to say, the long barrel shank coupled with the concentric pressing makes for a very rigid barreled action. Changing the barrel however, may be next to impossible."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im comfortable with the "Act of God" on this one...I cannot imagine how a suppressor could pull the barrel out of the reciever...I have owned a PI, PII and PIIK ...

"The barrel is 26 inches in length and features a heavy contour along with a target crown. Internally, the rifling consists of four lands and grooves. The twist rate is 1 turn in 12 inches. The interesting thing about the rifling is that it is rotary-hammer forged over a mandrel. Barrel blanks are placed over a mandrel and then a rotary hammer forges the barrel both internally and externally, which explains the unique "spiral" external appearance of the barrel. I've been told that there is a slight taper in the bore from breech to muzzle, but this I cannot discern nor quantify. Another unique feature is the longer than usual barrel shank-to-receiver fit. The barrel screws into the receiver for a distance of 57mm, which is longer than most rifles; furthermore, once the barrel has been screwed into the receiver, a concentric press exerts ten tons of pressure around the area where the barrel meets with the receiver. Needless to say, the long barrel shank coupled with the concentric pressing makes for a very rigid barreled action. Changing the barrel however, may be next to impossible."

</div></div>
I believe there is a reason the PIVK models maybe threaded!

Steyr SSG's are very accurate indeed. I have an SSG-P2K 20 inch brl with a double set trigger and a Ziess 6.5-20-50 scope and Harris bipod. Actually I'm going to replace it with an Accuracy International AE MK 2, I just ordered it today. But SSG's are all the accuracy you need for an out of the box rifle and you can make it even nicer if you drop it into a McMillan stock. Its for sale if any one wants it.
Any suggestions on how to upload my pics to the forum ?

Re the suppressor pulling the barrel out..................

Yes, muzzle brakes and suppressors have been known to drift the barrel out of the receiver - BUT..........its by a tiny fraction of an inch and over hundreds of rounds. Its not visible
to the naked eye but can be measured !!

P1, P2 and P3 have push fit barrels. The P4 barrel was screwed in for this very reason !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Independent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have it anymore but had a SSG PIIK and it was the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned. I loved that rifle but sold it when the stock cracked. I think they are awesome accuracy wise but the stock is definately the weak point. FWIW IMHO </div></div>

Your experience dovetails with mine.

Make that three. Tack driver but fragile mags, floor plate and stock.

I'm selling my SSG PIIK. Less than a year old. Round count is approx. 800. Extremely accurate with any factory match ammo. FGMM 168 will print 0.25" groups consistently. I've shot this rifle out to 1,090 yds. using FGMM 168's on several occasions (witnessed). PM if interested.

I had the SSG PIIK Police Sniping Package with the Kahles scope. Crazy accurate but point of impact would shift during extended firing sessions. After the second time I had to replace the mag well I sold it. Miss the hell out of it.

Well, I'm pretty new to precision long rifles/scopes, maybe started in March. I started with Savage Custom Model 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor with crappy scope. I got an affordable but fantastic scope, and once I found best ammo, I succeeded at hitting the 1-mile target in Cresson, TX. But I'd always been a Steyr AUG fan, and my wife and I discovered their handguns at Christmas time, justifying my love of all guns Steyr. I made an email inquiry of Steyr HQ in Austria, a day later I got an email saying, "Call me" from American Steyr HQ. I laid out my case as to why I believed Steyr should offer the SSG 08 A1 Sniper platform in 6.5 Creedmoor, 2 days later, their first and only Steyr SSG 08 A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor arrived at my Steyr Rep store. I didn't pick up until June, along with a Schmidt and Bender 12-50x56 FFP scope. I'd been waiting for my separately ordered ZRO Delta Muzzle Break, but didn't follow break in procedure, in my defense I didn't know one existed, nor was I informed....but it's all good. Anyway, Hornady ELD Match 120 gr seemed tighter than the 147 gr that the Savage liked. I finally got muzzle brake on before a competition last Sunday shooting tiddly winks at 200 yards against benchrest guns and handloads. The 147 gr was untenable, so after first rd I switched to Hornady ELD Match 140 gr, as yet untested...I got 3 of 10 in first rd, but I got 6 of 10 in 2nd rd. I was happy, but I was still not happy yet. Last Tuesday I had Alamo precision rifle remove the muzzle brake and turned me onto Optimal Barrel Time paper, and I knew I'd have to come to grips to handload, but in the present, I bought a total of 8 different box ammo to test in underground 100 yard cavern, I tested in 5 shot groups to narrow down to best 5, then shot 3 shot groups and both Hornady ELD Match in 140 and 120 gr both shot sub half MOA, but the 140 actually shot a 0.111 MOA 3 shot group. I did 2 final shots of 120 and 140 and again, 140 gr won. Fast forward to Saturday's annual Clay pidgeon shoot at 550 yards in Graham, TX. There's two 2 in, three 3 in, three 4 in pidgeons that we get 10 rds to shoot at per round. But here's the kicker, we only got 5 zero rds to put on paper for score, it took first 3 rds to get DOPE, but then I put best two shots back-to-back of anyone there, and closest to X center, for a 0.095 MOA. This SSG 08 A1 platform, whether in .308, .300 WM or .338 LM, can perform at par with box ammo what benchrest guns with handloads can do. I plan on also getting the SSG 08 M1 (.308/.338 interchangable in the field) as well as an HS.50 M1. And of course an Anniversary AUG too. My wife and I own 2 L9-A1s and a C9-A1 as well. And I shot the Savage in Tactical class with the 147 gr. My Steyr has also hit the mile fwiw, but it outscored the Savage 260%, so I'm convinced that within 1 year I'll be competing for the win against benchrest....but yes, I'll be handloading too.

Neat. I also have a SSG08 6.5cm, but I bastardized mine by dropping the 6.5cm THB into an SSG08 chassis. Same action, same barrel, same chassis.

My SSG-04 was very accurate out of the box. I was able to shoot 1/2 moa groups with 175 SMK and Berger 175 LR. I finally had it re-barrel after 7000 plus rounds. Now it is a .243 with 26in Krieger barrel with 1-7.5 twist . The action is SO MUCH better then a Remington 700!!.

Gixxer2000 I need to send you PayPal before I forget. Got busy and lost track of my .243 project...

I have a ssg04. It is 0.5 moa on my good day with good match ammo. 0.75 moa on my bad day. With all the accessories come with Steyr, it is prob best value for the class. My ssg04 come with brake, rail installed. It come with a Harris bipod. Tikka t3 tac is one I consider same price and class point. But you have to buy a separate brake and bipod. Cost more at the end.
I agree with other members that I wish ssg platform come with more caliber selection.

Good post, but let’s try some public school formatting for readability.

Well, I'm pretty new to precision long rifles/scopes, maybe started in March. I started with Savage Custom Model 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor with crappy scope. I got an affordable but fantastic scope, and once I found best ammo, I succeeded at hitting the 1-mile target in Cresson, TX. But I'd always been a Steyr AUG fan, and my wife and I discovered their handguns at Christmas time, justifying my love of all guns Steyr.

I made an email inquiry of Steyr HQ in Austria, a day later I got an email saying, "Call me" from American Steyr HQ. I laid out my case as to why I believed Steyr should offer the SSG 08 A1 Sniper platform in 6.5 Creedmoor, 2 days later, their first and only Steyr SSG 08 A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor arrived at my Steyr Rep store. I didn't pick up until June, along with a Schmidt and Bender 12-50x56 FFP scope. I'd been waiting for my separately ordered ZRO Delta Muzzle Break, but didn't follow break in procedure, in my defense I didn't know one existed, nor was I informed....but it's all good.

Anyway, Hornady ELD Match 120 gr seemed tighter than the 147 gr that the Savage liked. I finally got muzzle brake on before a competition last Sunday shooting tiddly winks at 200 yards against benchrest guns and handloads. The 147 gr was untenable, so after first rd I switched to Hornady ELD Match 140 gr, as yet untested...I got 3 of 10 in first rd, but I got 6 of 10 in 2nd rd. I was happy, but I was still not happy yet.

Last Tuesday I had Alamo precision rifle remove the muzzle brake and turned me onto Optimal Barrel Time paper, and I knew I'd have to come to grips to handload, but in the present, I bought a total of 8 different box ammo to test in underground 100 yard cavern, I tested in 5 shot groups to narrow down to best 5, then shot 3 shot groups and both Hornady ELD Match in 140 and 120 gr both shot sub half MOA, but the 140 actually shot a 0.111 MOA 3 shot group. I did 2 final shots of 120 and 140 and again, 140 gr won.

Fast forward to Saturday's annual Clay pidgeon shoot at 550 yards in Graham, TX. There's two 2 in, three 3 in, three 4 in pidgeons that we get 10 rds to shoot at per round. But here's the kicker, we only got 5 zero rds to put on paper for score, it took first 3 rds to get DOPE, but then I put best two shots back-to-back of anyone there, and closest to X center, for a 0.095 MOA. This SSG 08 A1 platform, whether in .308, .300 WM or .338 LM, can perform at par with box ammo what benchrest guns with handloads can do.

I plan on also getting the SSG 08 M1 (.308/.338 interchangable in the field) as well as an HS.50 M1. And of course an Anniversary AUG too. My wife and I own 2 L9-A1s and a C9-A1 as well. And I shot the Savage in Tactical class with the 147 gr. My Steyr has also hit the mile fwiw, but it outscored the Savage 260%, so I'm convinced that within 1 year I'll be competing for the win against benchrest....but yes, I'll be handloading too.