• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

stuck bullet

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Hey everone has this ever happened to you?
I was out on my property the other day doing some shooting.I found a old box of winchester 180gr. fail safes in the back of my closet.So idecided to see what kind of groups i could get out of them.
The first 3 shots went of without a hitch.The next two shots went ok.the 3rd shot seemed to feel kind of sticky when it chambered.Next i tried to eject the round.You guessed it stuck like chuck.I tried working the bolt up and down that worked ok.But no rear movement at all finally i pulled pretty hard.Yep pulled the case right off the bullet,of course this dumped all the powder into the action.
This complety ruined a full day of stress releif.(GUN FUN WAS DONE)
Itook the rifle home took it all apart and cleaned that damn winchester powder out of everthing.
Next i went to the local hardware store and bought a wooden dowel rod and droped it down the barrel.It barely took anything to knock the bullet out. When it droped out it had a crescent moon shape cut in one side.
Now my question is why?Does anyone think maybe it somehow got caught on the magazine as it was chambering.Or maybe it was something else.
Thanks in advance for any help.
P.S. the groups totally sucked 3" at 100yds.
savage 10
belland carlson tactical stock
versa-pod benchrest ski-feet bipod
accu-shot mono-pod
sss stainless recoil lug
sss oversized bolt handle
warne 0 moa base
burris med. zee rings
w.o.4-14x50

Re: stuck bullet

Somehow i just new mr.Boltripper would have something to say.
Ok i will bite no ihave never tried bungee jumping.So boltripper EXPLAIN! Oh yes permission to speak freely of course........
Go ahead flame on my friend flame on.

Gotta love a guy who can take it!
grin.gif

Oh yes i can take it.I have heard that the ripper comes off as a dick.But for some godforsaken reason i think maybe there might be some words of wisdom in there somewhere.So if i can learn something from his setting fire to me.I will sit back and listen.
Any way ripper i think you are all right. straightfoward no bullshit you gotta respect that.also he kinda reminds me of my old di back on the island.That crazy bastard use to scare me so bad i almost pooped my pants on adaily basis

You were doing alright right up to the "pooping" part! The visual... well I'll leave that alone!

Ok i guess you are right pooping and cammys bad mix.
Hey wow great idea shitaflage i think i will patent that.Surely i can get rich. it semms like every other tom dick and harry gets rich off all the crappy cloned scopes.(ha ha)

ok....supposedly we are dealing with surgically precise gear here....stuff that could possible if mis-handled will hurt you or otherwise leave a mark........or make you DRT......savvy ?

so maybe we need to get real acquainted with our trinkets...and feed it the good stuff......'cause why....??? cause we expect really good precise stuff to do really good precise things....

your housekeeping and bedside manners are lacking....AND the crap junk ammo got hung up because you jammed the boolet into the lands or otherwise wedged (due to some previous debris) the projectile and the case made it a bit stiff on closing the bolt home.......seen it happen before,,,,mostly with handloads and fresh re-chamber jobs.....

bring a brush to the range with you next time in your kit-bag....like a small stiff paint brush....

btw...this really sucks having this happen to you in the middle of a match.......

oh....bring your cleaning rod also

i'm just sayin......

+1 on that.

One hint is to leave loading hard in to the lands to the BR-crowd, they seem to like doing it that way.

Best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 20 cal or so 6" brass rod rides in many a kit for good reason. </div></div>

Allright the ripper did not burn me down.Thank you for that sir.and really great advice.I will defiantly add a small size stiff bristled brush to my bag.
I must be doing something wrong with my cleaning procedures.Here is what i do each and every time the rifle is fired. step 1 i remove the bolt and wipe it down complety with shooters choice carbon and copper remover.
step 2 using a carbon fiber cleaning rod with brass tip i run numerous patches down the barrel soaked with shooters choice until they come out looking pretty clean. Next i change to a brass brush,soak it complety and run it down the barrel about ten times.Followed by more patches until they come out clean.
Step3 after the barrel is clean i use a chamber brush to clean out the chamber.I always check the barrel with a surefire flashlite.If any copper streaks are seen i repeat the whole process.
Last i run a very light coat of shooter choice gun oil down the barrel and very lightly coat all metal.The bolt receives light gun grease on the locking lugs.
if i need to change anything or if anything sounds wrong that i am doing please enlighten me.
Also i should have known not to try that damn failsafe ammo.Its proably about as consistent as loading a bullet into the case with pliers.I always shoot either fed.gmm 168gr.or black hills 175gr. match with absolouty no problems. the gmm shoots a little better.(consistent 2 and 1 half inch groups at 350 yrds)
Imay just have imangined this but i thought i heard somewhere that a rifle that was designed to be used as dedicated target,tactical,sniper,etc.,etc. had tighter tolerances on the chamber. i think that even pertained to th savage 10fp also.
ps see everyone if you sit back and listen to the ripper he does and will at times give great advice. i myself am pretty new here.butif we all have a interest to learn and are serious about what we like there is always people that will awnser a question or two.You might have to take a little ribbing and shot down in flames a few times. i think i we have to do is shut up and listen,dont get butt hurt. AND ESPICALLY DO NOT PISS OF THE ANIMALS..........then it will all be good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...You might have to take a little ribbing and shot down in flames a few times. i think i we have to do is shut up and listen,dont get butt hurt. AND ESPICALLY DO NOT PISS OF THE ANIMALS..........then it will all be good </div></div>

Holy SHIT!!! The noob gets it!

Good on ya bro. Welcome to the Hide..

-Wil