• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stupid scope perspective quetsion

FELIX 808

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2013
CA
Not sure if this is the correct forum ( scope ?) but was wondering on a scopes power & perspective. Does a scopes magnifiction convert to simple logic as for example, I set my scope to 20x magnification, would I expect to see a relationship of seeing an object at 300 yards with a true perspecitve of what the target wood look like at 15 yard? 300/20=15? Does the simple math work. Reson for asking I was looking to use the printable targets & was trying to figure how far I could see the 8.5 x 11 piece of paper before walking out all the yards.

Thanks for indulging me

Generally yes. A couple of small caveats:
1. As long as the scope's magnification is true to its rated specifications. Not usually a problem but...
2. While the scope my magnify the image 20x, depending on the quality of glass in the scope you may or may not be able to resolve the image as clearly. Point in case: I am able to resolve .223 impacts thru my 1x aimpoint at 25 yds, but I have difficulty resolving them thru my 22x at 300 yds.

The other variable is glass quality. I can see things at 20 power with my Schmidt that I can not see at 20 power with my Leupold.