• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subs to Aussies - Sound off on thoughts?

That Block V VA sounds more like a boomer than an attack sub - 40 missiles in the VLS.

View attachment 7712604

Boomer: Ballistic missile submarine. Ballistic missiles fly out of the atmosphere and release their warheads in a suborbital ballistic trajectory back down to earth. The warheads release from the nose section and drop back to earth, each one independently targeted from the other. The warheads are always nuclear.

That's not a boomer. That's a Virginia, stretched in the middle, with even more cruise missiles than the earlier ones. Cruise missiles never leave the atmosphere and while some are programmed to climb and dive to the target in their terminal homing phase, none of them employ a ballistic trajectory.

We have converted several Ohio class boomers into guided missile platforms by inserting clusters of cruise missile launch tubes into the now vacant ballistic missile launch tubes and redesignating them from SSBN to SSGN. I believe this was done to maintain compliance with strategic arms reduction treaties that we've signed with Russia.

Reactions: camocorvette
That's not a boomer. That's a Virginia, stretched in the middle, with even more cruise missiles than the earlier ones. Cruise missiles never leave the atmosphere and while some are programmed to climb and dive to the target in their terminal homing phase, none of them employ a ballistic trajector
Roger (y)

I chose my words poorly. What I meant to say was a Block V Virginia looks like it has a similar mission capability as a Ohio-class SSGN, as you correctly cite. Those SSGNs carry all those cruise missiles, very useful in a non-nuclear fight, but they are getting old. It sounds like the Block Vs are meant to fill in that role once the Ohios are retired.

Make a hypersonic in-atmospheric missile that has a range over 1000 miles and fits in a 21" (533mm) tube and you'll be a wealthy man. Just remember that SLBMs and ICBMs attain speeds in the Mach 20 range, so they are hypersonic, just using out-of-atmosphere flight to do so.

Timely article on this discussion. Only mach 7 and 1000km not miles, but it’s closer than it was.

Not sure what the VLS on the Severodinsk is sized at either, but it’s apparently an attack sub not a boomer.

And our friends at Raytheon and Northrop announced they successfully fired a hypersonic from an airplane a few days ago:

Not as much public details as the Russian release.

And I'm not sure if a sub-launched hypersonic is harder to achieve than an aircraft-launched one.

Both of these missiles are non-ballistic, which is very hard to achieve.

Timely article on this discussion. Only mach 7 and 1000km not miles, but it’s closer than it was.

Not sure what the VLS on the Severodinsk is sized at either, but it’s apparently an attack sub not a boomer.
Actually a Yasen-class SSGN, similar in concept to what the Block V Virginia-class SSN/SSGN will be.

1633455609416.png

Reactions: Davo308 and Mulga