• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Successfully resolved: In search of advice - manufacturer not respecting their warranty

12Bravo

Grumpy old combat engineer veteran
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2012
Upstate South Carolina
I know the Sniper's Hide is composed of persons in many different professions, so I thought I'd reach out here for some advice. I bought a touchscreen notebook computer a few months ago (I'm not going to mention the manufacturer or model just yet) and now I'm fighting with the manufacturer about getting it repaired under warranty. A few weeks ago, my daughter opened the computer to use it and noticed that the glass touch screen had started cracking at the edge where the hinge connects the screen and the keyboard parts of the computer. I immediately contacted the manufacturer and filed a warranty claim, which was summarily dismissed with the statement that the cracked screen was caused by user damage. I clearly told the customer service rep that the computer was never dropped or hit to cause this damage. I asked that the claim be escalated within the company. Today I was contacted by the "escalations manager" and was told the same story - the warranty won't cover the repairs, as they claim it was caused by physical damage. The best they offered was to take 20% of the repair bill, which is still almost as much as it would cost to go out and buy a notebook computer without a touchscreen. I could pay to have the computer repaired, but refuse to on principle, because I have photographs to prove the computer is not damaged, except for the cracked screen. Based on the appearance of the crack, I firmly believe it was caused by either a manufacturing or design flaw.

Please let me know if you have had a similar experience or have any professional recommendations on how to proceed with this.

Thanks!

I have a good amount of experience with getting computers repaired. The problem is warranty implies defective materials or workman ship. In general a screen cracking is neither.

How old is the notebook?

and, more importantly, how are you proposing the screen was cracked if not by user error?

I would also like to know the manufacturer (even if you just want to private message me, its important to know if screen crack is written as a specific exclusion of your warranty) as there are some, like Acer for example, that you are just not going to get any movement on. If this were a Dell or HP you might be able to continue to push and get what they call a 'goodwill' replacement.

If it were me, I would look for a used screen on ebay and just swap it.

Assuming you bought it with a credit card, contact them and see if you can’t get them to reverse the charges. If you’re successful, box it up and send it back to the manufacturer with a big “screw you” note inside.
I bought it with a credit card and called the card company. They were nice enough, but told me their coverage is for 90 days after purchase.

Is it a common problem?

There might be a class action lawsuit or there might be a legal solution.

Reactions: shoobe01
I know the Sniper's Hide is composed of persons in many different professions, so I thought I'd reach out here for some advice. I bought a touchscreen notebook computer a few months ago (I'm not going to mention the manufacturer or model just yet) and now I'm fighting with the manufacturer about getting it repaired under warranty. A few weeks ago, my daughter opened the computer to use it and noticed that the glass touch screen had started cracking at the edge where the hinge connects the screen and the keyboard parts of the computer. I immediately contacted the manufacturer and filed a warranty claim, which was summarily dismissed with the statement that the cracked screen was caused by user damage. I clearly told the customer service rep that the computer was never dropped or hit to cause this damage. I asked that the claim be escalated within the company. Today I was contacted by the "escalations manager" and was told the same story - the warranty won't cover the repairs, as they claim it was caused by physical damage. The best they offered was to take 20% of the repair bill, which is still almost as much as it would cost to go out and buy a notebook computer without a touchscreen. I could pay to have the computer repaired, but refuse to on principle, because I have photographs to prove the computer is not damaged, except for the cracked screen. Based on the appearance of the crack, I firmly believe it was caused by either a manufacturing or design flaw.

Please let me know if you have had a similar experience or have any professional recommendations on how to proceed with this.

Thanks!
I have dealt with warranty issues on products made of glass for 30ish years (automotive industry). In my experience you have less than a 1% chance of actually having a valid claim.

Glass is either broken or it isn't. It is not a product that wears out, nor is it a product that fails to function for no reason. I can say with about 99.99% accuracy that some point that notebook had an "impact" event.

Warranty does not cover physical damage (abuse). Personally you have owned it long enough that it most likely happened in your ownership, but it could have been damaged in shipping, Or if you bought it at a brick and mortar store they could have dropped it. Either way, that is out of the manufactures hands.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
My 2cents. I dont use warranties, i dont buy products because they have warranties. I buy products, use them then if they break i pay to have them fixed or replaced. Every time some crybaby send back a warrenty the cost of products goes up for everyone else. Same as car insurance. Use it and you pay more.

My 2cents. I dont use warranties, i dont buy products because they have warranties. I buy products, use them then if they break i pay to have them fixed or replaced. Every time some crybaby send back a warrenty the cost of products goes up for everyone else. Same as car insurance. Use it and you pay more.
The cost of the warranty is built into the item when you purchase. A valid claim should be honored. Also you should not be afraid to make a claim. The manufacturer is hoping you don't.

Lol. Products with short or non existent warranty's most likely means the company knows the product won’t last long.

Do you not use the warranty on vehicles or optics/firearms?

Reactions: Blutroop
Glass has a fatigue limit like every other material. It's entirely possible that they designed the hinge to require too much opening force, the frame with too much flex and glass with stress concentration at the corners. If they did, it's just a matter of open-close cycles before cracks form.

If your warranty says "we will send you a brand new one!"
That means you paid enough for one item, to cover the cost of two items.
Let that sink in real good.

If an item is worth repairing, it's usually a quality item.

Reactions: GotCox
Glass has a fatigue limit like every other material. It's entirely possible that they designed the hinge to require too much opening force, the frame with too much flex and glass with stress concentration at the corners. If they did, it's just a matter of open-close cycles before cracks form.
That's exactly what I stated in the warranty claim. What really aggravates me about this is that it broke after only about 7 months of use!

LOL, so years ago I sent my youngest son to college with a new laptop, a few weeks into the semester I get a call from my son who noticed a crack in the LCD. I drove the two hours with a replacement screen and swapped a new screen in.

I replaced that sucker 3 times.

Two years before that my co-worker calls me into his office with his daughter on the phone seems her Mackbook pro developed a cracked screen. I did him a favor and replaced it. Hardest one I have ever done, what a POS design. And just for the record I don't repair laptops for a living.

Seems that laptop screens have a habit of failing when handled by the young-ins.

@12Bravo have the screen replaced and move on, do you really think the screen cracked by itself.

Glass is amorphous-it either breaks or it doesn't-like a ceramic-and I'm not aware of a fatigue limit like with metals. That doesn't mean you can't put too much stress at the corner opening it up normally just like stated. I've done this before-in fact my computer right now has a cracked corner because it fell out of my backpack and on to a concrete driveway 2 years ago-still works fine and the cracks haven't propogated.

Computers, tablets, phones, etc. totally have broken post-sale, months after purchase, due to design flaws in mounting, etc.

Even when very well known, and everyone says this breaks: very, very, very few warranty claims, very poor (and far future) results from class action suits.

If they blew you off on initial contact, then it doesn't matter if it's their fault or not, there's a near zero chance you get them to fix it.

Check forums for if this is common. And if there's a quick "fix." Often, you can just use a glass screen protector. It'll be cracked, but not get worse. Maybe. Works for some of these.

Check the local electronics repair shops next. They may be able to repair (it may be an overlay, not the screen) or replace it for pretty reasonable money. Like, many are under $200, and some phones and small tablets are under $100. Also, they will tend to tell you if that's common.

Tell us who the manufacture is so we know who does not stand behind their warranty. Post pictures so we can see the damage. They told you to pound sand and you protect the manufacture? How old is the computer? If its new a stress crack in the glass is possible or the glass may have been defective from the start. Pictures would help.

Tell us who the manufacture is so we know who does not stand behind their warranty. Post pictures so we can see the damage. They told you to pound sand and you protect the manufacture? How old is the computer? If its new a stress crack in the glass is possible or the glass may have been defective from the start. Pictures would help.
I purchased this computer directly from the manufacturer and it was built in late April 2019. Based on my inspection of the cracked area and my engineering judgement, I strongly believe it is a poor design which is prone to this type of problem. This opinion of mine is also supported by the number of posts I have read online from other dissatisfied owners of this particular computer.
DSC_0832 (2).JPG

I'll try escalating a few more days before I publicly name the manufacturer.

It's been a throw away society for a long time now. No one builds anything to last like the Japanese use to back in the 80s from my experience.

I wonder if that light globe is still operating in that fire station, if my memory serves me right it was in San Francisco?

Reactions: 12Bravo
It's been a throw away society for a long time now. No one builds anything to last like the Japanese use to back in the 80s from my experience.

I wonder if that light globe is still operating in that fire station, if my memory serves me right it was in San Francisco?
I agree that many things built by the Japanese in the 80s were top-notch. I have Kenwood HF radio transceiver which was made in 1980. It is built like a tank and still sounds great in transmit & receive.

Seems that laptop screens have a habit of failing when handled by the young-ins.

I've noticed that as well. The older folks seem to have their phones for quite some time all nice and good as well as their laptops.

The younger set are running around with broken screens on everything.

I would bet what happened is that somebody opened the screen rather hard and fast using just one hand rather than opening it carefully with two hands to make sure the stress was even.

I'd suggest that getting these 2 in 1 type ultra book stuff is NOT good for young folks or anyone that is going to be hard use. Get them something a bit bulkier, heavier, with a good frame around the screen.

If you insist on that kind of stuff for your young folks, then what you need is the accidental damage warranties that most big manufacturers are offering. Those usually cover that kind of broken stuff regardless of if you did it or not, usually for a small deductible.
I got my money's worth on one of those warranties with a young person who wound up smashing the screen on a rather expensive phone twice.
Dell for example won't cover something like that cracked screen months later unless you purchased the accidental damage coverage and then they'll take care of it.

1. Always get the name of the people you speak with. Full names. First and last.

2. Always to speak to their manager or a duty/shift manager. Keep calling and again always get names and ask for their/duty managers. When they say they will have someone call you back tell them you will wait and again ask for a manager. Ask for the duty manger's manager. Keep pushing your way up.

3. You have to stay polite. Sympathy here is your friend. Be clear and hold your ground but yet stay polite. If I was making 12/hr answering phones for a large tech company and someone called being a complete jackass...well that mofo aint getting shit from me.

4. In general with issues like this patience and persistence can pay off. They are hoping that you simply tire and give up. Keep on them, full press...but again stay polite.

That's the approach I'm taking so far. I hope to get resolution soon. I'm trying to remain patient, but want to plan what do do if that approach fails.

That's the approach I'm taking so far. I hope to get resolution soon. I'm trying to remain patient, but want to plan what do do if that approach fails.

Well, that depends. I may stay with it perpetually because I am a sick bastard and it might become a game.

But eventually I may give up after investing enough time that its no longer worth it...and then I would say fuck it, cut my losses and never do business with that company again.

I purchased this computer directly from the manufacturer and it was built in late April 2019. Based on my inspection of the cracked area and my engineering judgement, I strongly believe it is a poor design which is prone to this type of problem. This opinion of mine is also supported by the number of posts I have read online from other dissatisfied owners of this particular computer.
View attachment 7235448

Hate to say it but that looks like user damage to me. Like the lid got closed on something or something it it right there when it was closed.

Not saying intentional, but there's a pretty clear point of impact, at least looking at the fuzzy picture.

-Stooxie

Thanks!

Consider yourself self-insured, purchase a replacement, and moveon.org.

Reactions: Stooxie and GotCox
Seriously guys, go be poor somewhere else. Post on Facebook my eye. Annotate everything blah blah blah.

View attachment 7235448

Looks like some shit got sandwiched between the monitor and the top of the case and cracked the screen.

Y'all are screwed.

This stuff might help??!!

If it's a Dell, https://www.parts-people.com/
I have several touchscreens that I have rebuilt at one time or another, it's easier and cheaper that you think,the last screen I bought was $30
Replacing that screen is probably a one hour job.
The are websites like the one above for different manufacturers.
They have tons of DIY videos available to

Reactions: Stooxie
View attachment 7235448
If something got sandwiched in that, it looks like the grey piece standing proud of the keyboard surface in the hinge notch. It seems like it is still their problem to me.

Thanks!
if there are children involved, all you can really say is, 'as far as I know it wasn't dropped'. Sorry.

If something got sandwiched in that, it looks like the grey piece standing proud of the keyboard surface in the hinge notch. It seems like it is still their problem to me.

Huh? That's the hinge, it's a reversible screen, meaning it can flip all the way backwards and be a tablet. It's double hinged.

-Stooxie

Is it a few months old or 7? Also maybe your "engineering" mind should have noticed the design flaw before purchasing :unsure:

Excellent news today. After a couple more phone calls and another email to the manufacturer earlier this week, I received an email today stating that the computer is being repaired at no charge and will be returned to me with expedited shipping.

Dealing with customer service was a PITA, but it eventually paid off.

Excellent news today. After a couple more phone calls and another email to the manufacturer earlier this week, I received an email today stating that the computer is being repaired at no charge and will be returned to me with expedited shipping.

Dealing with customer service was a PITA, but it eventually paid off.

Good deal, now tell us who it was :)

Reactions: Barneybdb
The warranty claim is for a Lenovo Yoga 730 computer. The manufacturer finally honored their warranty, but is was far more difficult than it should have been.

Lenovo has done a great job of driving the thinkpad name into the ground.

Nobody makes a decent latop anymore. They cut all the weight out of them so they can brag about .1mm here and 1 gram there, and make them way to thin and flimsy.

If only the toughbook was available with a decent spec. build-out and at a somewhat reasonable price. (4x what I could buy another laptop or 8x what I can build the desktop equivalent for is not reasonable.)

This is why shit junk costs so much in the first place. Built into the retail price is the cost of people letting their kids break shit then daring the manufacturer to call your kid a liar, lol. You're welcome.

I'm going to say (from the bleachers WAAAAAYYYYY out past Left Field) that "Dell" equipment is far better than what I'd imagined. This may be the Bourbon talking (I might have had 'A' Bourbon's tonight) but these devices (both towers AND tablets AND AND laptops) are far better than anything I/we've had previous.

Not a shill, not a plug, not a slam...... JUST a simple comment on what I/we here have experienced. There's someone here that know's,,, and he's a far better man than I am. Compared to where we've come from, this stuff ROCKS!!!!

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Huh? That's the hinge, it's a reversible screen, meaning it can flip all the way backwards and be a tablet. It's double hinged.

-Stooxie
The screen is flat but that piece stands proud of the keyboard section. If that is what the screen touches when it is closed, that's a major stress concentration right where it cracked.

You wouldn't have to drop it, you could just put it in a backpack with a few text books and wind up squeezing it hard enough to crack.

That's a defect in design when you can't put a notebook in a backpack with a few text books.