• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Suggest me a knife

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
I currently have a cheapy Smith & Wesson extreme ops knife, that has seen better days.
I really like these features about it: non slip (rubberized?) Grip, seatbelt cutter, serrades and plain edge combo, and pocket clip.
The window breaker I can live without, I used mine twice on calls and blunted / bent it.

Id carry a multi tool if they weren't so damn bulky, but ive been known to use my knife as a pry tool, hammer, and even a can opener. So this new ones got to handle some abuse.

Im not a big knife buff, I dont want to spend over 150$ on a knife, what would you reccomend?
+1 if it can be all black.
+1 for links

Re: Suggest me a knife

Benchmade Triage is nice. It's a bit heavy but well made. Axis lock is smooth as butter. Probably around $120

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade915tr...ge-2-1-1-1.aspx

I really like Spyderco's but they don't have any with a belt cutter. That being said they have several rescue style knives with the Spydie edge which is AMAZING. They are lighter weight and built tough.. just something to think about. The Spydie edge cuts better than plain edge blades on pretty much anything. I prefer a full serrated blade or plain edge to a combo.

Emerson SOCFK

Bulletproof. With the chisel-grind edge, it remains "sharp enough", and the edge is super tough. I debur steel tubing and pry/scrape/abuse all the time.

Besides the Emerson SOCFK being on backorder, it carries a $200+ price tag

I still really like spyderco for for a use and abuse knife. They hold up well.
They aren't really in fashion anymore but they really excel for a knife you use a lot and don't want to break the bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides the Emerson SOCFK being on backorder, it carries a $200+ price tag </div></div>

Crikey! Paid $125 for mine but I guess its been a number of years.

Sorry!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still really like spyderco for for a use and abuse knife. They hold up well.
They aren't really in fashion anymore but they really excel for a knife you use a lot and don't want to break the bank. </div></div>

The Endura with wave feature is a great knife at a very decent price.

The Emerson or “Wave” opener is the wave-shaped hook on the top of the blade that works by catching the seam of your pants as you pull it out of your pocket. A good knife for it's value but I still prefer the standard Endura.
Now going back to Kershaw... If you want a little more exclusive folder you can also find the Zero Tolerance 0350 for around $100 ebay. But again I would still go for the $80 Blur (wich also comes with a S30V blade).
Here's a vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0BXhjnmitc

I like my ZT0350. I got from amazon for $120. Good steel (S30V), G10 grips, and feels very solid. I was on the fence about the assisted opening, but it works great.

On the fence with the benchmade Triage and the BLUR.
Triage because I do a lot of first respose but the
Blur looks tough and rugged

The SOG Trident has been serving me well for the past few years, pretty hard use too. I bought another one this year just in case the first one breaks.
It features spring assisted opening, half serrated blade, and a seatbelt/cord cutting notch in the handle.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Knives-Tools/Tactical-Knives|/pc/104795280/c/104740380/sc/104622480/SOG-Trident-TF-1-Folding-Knife/714910.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-knives-tools-tactical-knives%2Fsog%2F_%2FN-1100726%2B1000004693%2FNe-1000004693%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd714910%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd714910%3Bcat104622480
Could probably find some better prices than cabelas.

I used to have both.. don't own either anymore b/c I found differnt knives that suit my particular needs better. The Blur was OK, but not nearly built as well as the Triage. The Blur is assisted opening too, which may not be the best thing for a first response. I would go for a manual blade. Also the Axis lock on the Benchmade is way stronger than the liner lock of the Blur. Both good knives, but the Blur is more of a general EDC vs the Triage which is more purpose built for first response.

The wave is a hook on the blade of Emerson and a couple Spydercos (the Delica and Endura come to mind) that catches the back corner of your pocket as you draw the knife. It takes a few days to get used to and I find a short lanyard helps a lot. However, when you get the hang of it, it becomes unbelievably fast. I have an Emerson and a waved Delica and I find the Emerson is slightly easier to work, but it's likely because the Spyderco had to work with an existing design when "waving" the Delica and Endura.

Here's my Micro Commander. The wave is at the rear of the blade.
knifelanyard001.jpg

take the kershaw tremor
kershaw-tremor-1950-600x500.jpg

cheap, great opening mechanism, reasonable steel quality
great bang for the buck

I have used an Emerson Commander for a very long time and I think they work really good.

Minus the pocket clip, I'd say go with a decent butterfly knife with serration. A cheap Bear MFG will last just about forever; I have used mine for everything and there's really nothing on it to break or that may become fouled, inoperable, etc.

+1 on Emerson or a Spyderco with a stout blade. If you do get an Emerson make sure to check the the titanium liner that acts as the knife lock gets under the blade good enough to keep it from closing on you. I've had two where I had to do a little file work or the lock would have failed. Spyderco uses some pretty high end knife steels and some of their knives are made in the USA. Their military and paramilitary models are pretty solid folders.

Benchmade 915 Triage = Not a good option, IMHO.
I've been carrying the Triage since around April of this year. I bought it at the NRA convention in St. Louis. I would never pay that much for a pocketknife, but I got a huge discount on it.
I'm not a fan. The blade is chipped and bent already, and I'm not doing anything with this knife that I haven't done with others. The blade on my S&W Extreme Ops lasted longer than this Benchmade. And the S&W was made in China and it only cost me $20 at the mall.
If you do get one, don't get the "sheep's foot" blade. It's a blade with no tip, for some reason. I don't know what the purpose of a knife with no tip is. I didn't think I'd miss the tip, since I'm not habitually stabbing things with it, but it makes a huge difference. I've never handed my knife to somebody and had them NOT comment about how dumb it was that there isn't a point on the blade. I didn't realize how much I use the point of the blade until it wasn't there for me to use.

On the other hand, it didn't fall apart when I took it out the box like my last two S&W knives did...

Benchmade is certainly the choice, those things are built like a tank! i love my griptillian and my osbournes.

Benchmade 810 Contego. Bought one last month and couldn't be happier. It has a huge cpm-m4 blade, g10 scales, full steel liner, axis lock, and deep carry pocket clip. It is a huge knife that can be used for anything from a utility knife to tactical or survival applications. It is also very easy to conceal and carry.

And the black coating is cerakote. After a month of heavy use, there are hardly any signs of use.

Retail is $210, but I paid $140 shipped from knifeworks.

another vote for the SOG Tridents. I have the full size Trident and i also have a Trident Mini for an all day everyday utility knife.

http://sogknives.com/store/TF-22.html

They also have an all black TiNi coated mini and full side if that's your preference.

They can be had for 60-70-ish for the mini and 85-110 for the full size depending on where you pick them up at.

Try the SOG Flash II. Nice blade, includes a handy serrated section that can easily slice through a seatbelt or anything else. The blade comes from the factory wicked sharp. I've had mine for a couple years and it's part of my EDC kit, only touched up the blade lightly a couple of times. Rides deep in the pocket on belt clip, barely noticeable. Great knife for little money! I give it the Shredder seal of approval...and I don't give that out easily or frequently...
cool.gif

I like the Zero Tolerance 0350. It is well built, nice blade/steel and has pretty good g10 grips. It is a bit on the heavy side though.
I carry a Benchmade mini-griptilian when I want something lighter. It has proven to be a fairly decent knife so far as well.
Good luck, there are alot of good options out there.

I carried a CRKT M-16 for nearly a decade, they are great knives. I paid about $80 for mine and it just wore out last month. While I first had the commemerative "Opperation Iraqi Freedome" version, I think I will replace it with a flat black model. It has the straight, serated combo blade in a tanto configuration that is strong and can be used as a pry bar, bottle opener, etc.
http://www.crkt.com/M16-14-Special-Forces-Black-G10-Handle-Tanto-AutoLAWKS-Veff-Combo-Edge

Best of luck.

I've carried and abused a Benchmade Griplitain for about the last 4 years. The blade is D2 steel and holds up well to hard use and comes in all black.

Kabar Becker BK2. All black, and total workhorse! A bit on the larger, and heavier side, but will not be dissapointed at all in in usefulness, and functionality. Plus is you can get em for sub $75

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a fixed blade you cannot beat an ESEE for the money. </div></div>

I totally agree with this as well though. I carry an ESEE 5 on my backpack everywhere i go!

I suggest looking for a used Emerson - you can often find them around the $120 mark - then send it in to them to clean it up and put a fresh edge on it.
I love mine - EDC is a Super Commander.

I have a Zero Tolerance 0350 that has become my go to. I've had countless Spyderco's and Benchmade's and I like this knife enough that when it goes(misplaced is more likely than broken) I'll get another just like it. Well designed full grip that still rides well in the pocket, sharp, well designed blade, very(!) tight pocket clip, and I do enjoy the assisted opening as well. Keep your eyes open; I got it new on here for $90.

For me? For LE work? Not expensive. Light weight. Sturdy. If you break it or loose it no big loss. And easy to use even for non-knife guys? KA-BAR/TDI LE Knife. They are usually in the 28-39$ dollar range.

Just making a point, but I don't know any cops who carry a Randall. I'm sure there is one out there, who is a knife geek. But in the real world, cost and weight are king. I admit I'm not a knife guy.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

TTR

Benchmade Adamas. Hands down.

I am finishing a review on the Adams. I have both the 275 and 2750. I am a high end knife guy. I carry a custom fixed blade at work. At the beginning of my evaluation period I used the Adamas for all manner of jobs that I would have used my fixed blade for. Hell, I even split wood with it.

After all that punishment it's still one of the fastest and smoothest folders I have.

IMG_4118_1280.jpg

This is the fixed blade I carry, but it's a little more than you want to spend:

IMG_2680.jpg

Coty Handley "Custom Carry"

As has been suggested many times,

42349D29.jpg

Mine replaced a well liked Benchmade 710. I have the stone washed version.

scrapyardknives.com
swampratknifeworks.com

If you are looking for a fixed blade that can take anything you can throw at it. Lifetime warranty.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Spyderco paramilitary2 is the end all be all of folders.
</span>
The only thing that the guys here might not like about it is the fine tip.

Black blade coatings scratch, wear, cause friction when cutting, and are harder to clean. So get a satin finish on a steel that resist corrosion well.

I just picked up the 915 Triage to keep in my turnout jacket. It is fantastic as far as ergonomics go! It is my first blade that uses the axis locking mechanism and will not be the last. The belt cutter is razor sharp and works surprisingly well for thinning my sideburns :p The blade design is a perfect fit for my application. It is nearly impossible to harm anyone by accidentally stabbing them. I would see no reason at all to choose the 916 over the 915. The edge is acceptably sharp, nothing to write home about and could use some improvement, but it is as good as could be expected out of a production blade. The only downside that could possibly develop is poor durability. If it holds up well, then it is the perfect knife for a rescue application IMO. If not, it will certainly serve me well. I'm just a volunteer that will only go to a half dozen calls/year where the blade might be put into service. In an application like that, it should be fairly easy to maintain.

The seat-belt cutter on the Triage cuts hay string like a champ! I can just walk by a roll of hay and zip through the string without missing a beat. I better take it to the station before I start using it for everything
laugh.gif

Everyone has mention awesome knives but you should also look at CRKT. I have used many over the year as work knives and they tend to be quit tuff. They are also normally reasonable priced.

I brought a couple of them here to Africa with me and they even hold up to the use of the locals. Some of you may understand how impressive that is if you have been here before!
smile.gif

+1 on the CRKT. I have the Surefire Echo, and a Busse Combat Skinny Ash as fixed blades, and they are really nice. I use a Leatherman Skeletool for range use (works great fixing stuff quick for students). For daily carry I tried the CRKT M21-14SFG by Carson design. Its fast to open, and got half serrations. For an essentially $50 knife, I am extremely happy with this. Durable, robust, I keep forgetting to take my Skeletool now...

Figured I'd report back on my Triage findings. Everything I said originally still holds true. I ended up buying a second one to carry while working. The edge has chipped more than I would like, but it is easy to straighten up with a few swipes on the steel rod. When I say chip, I mean tiny tiny chips that you have to use a magnifying glass to see. Not really a big deal at all and should be expected eventually. I've used the shit out of the belt cutter. I think I use it more than I do the blade. It also sharpens up nicely and holds an edge EXTREMELY well. I just sharpened it for the first time last night. It really wasn't dull, it just wouldn't shave hair any more. A few passes with ~600 grit sandpaper brought it back to razor sharp! I've really abused it cutting hay string (which means I just drag it down the side of the roll cutting hay and string). I've easily used it on 100 rolls in the past month and wouldn't have felt a need to sharpen the hook if I weren't already touching up the blade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a fixed blade you cannot beat an ESEE for the money. </div></div>

They also offer a nice law enforcement discount.
wink.gif

I just picked up a new Benchmade spring assisted Barrage 580 and love it. It's my second Benchmade but the first assisted model from them. Still have my old one but felt I needed this one too... Blade Play was super easy to deal with. http://www.bladeplay.com/.